How many self published books have you sold to date?

Reaction score
I hope it's okay to ask. I know it's a sensitive topic.

....but if you are willing to share your sales data, please drop a line. I'm sure many posters and lurkers are curious.

Also, how would you grade your self publishing venture to date? A huge success? a success? a semi-success? below expectation? Of course, everyone has their own definition of success.

And if you know the sales data of other self published authors, please share the links with the AW community. As they said, the more the merrier.

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I first self-published in 2011 and since then, across three different books, I've sold less than 200 copies. I think a lot of this is my own fault (writing in different genres, titles that may be off-putting) but I self-publish for the freedom, not to make a zillion bucks.

I am, however, currently re-tooling, doing new covers, new pricing, new blurbs, writing two new books, and am making a more consistent effort to push my self-published stuff.

But just the option of being able to self-publish really saved my sanity. I got no regrets.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I think most of us are already sharing sales data in our ongoing diary threads.

I would rate my sales as significantly more successful than expected, although my expectations were low. My goal from the beginning was to break even within the first six months, but I sold considerably more.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Here's something depressing:

...a survey reveals that 54% of traditionally-published authors and almost 80% of go-it-alone writers are making less than $1,000 (£600) a year.

More than 9,000 writers, from aspiring authors to seasoned pros, took part in the 2014 Digital Book World and Writer's Digest Author Survey, presented at this week's Digital Book World conference.

Alice Xavier

some goon from the internet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alicexavier.com
A few thousand since I started a year ago, with the bulk of those sales in the last few months. Good numbers and good cash, but way below expectations, mainly because my production has been shit and I haven't released a new thing in months.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I've got a few short stories up there - nothing much and I've sold maybe ten or so last year.

It's more of a sideline for me at this point. Reprints and one or two originals all priced at $0.99 because I can't stomach charging more for a short story.

But that's just me.

:)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think there are a great many more self-publishers here without diary threads than with them.

I'd imagine that's so; I'm not real comfortable with the idea of asking people to share other people's sales data, either. I suspect that if an individual shares that information with a friend or colleague, it's done confidentially unless stated otherwise.

I know if I shared that kind of information with one or a few others, and then came by and read it posted without my knowledge, I'd not like that at all.

But perhaps those without diary threads don't share privately either, and so it won't come up. I hope it does not.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It might be because there are lots of reasons people who have self-published at least one title, would not spend a lot of time discussing it, or at least not here. But we are lurking.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not real comfortable with the idea of asking people to share other people's sales data

Neither am I.

If people want to post their own data in this thread, that's fine.

But please: do not post anyone else's. That would not be acceptable.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think if you limit it to asking people about their own data, that is totally fine. I, personally, don't consider it a taboo topic or one that is unseemly to disclose.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I published my first book in April of last year and it sold about 150 copies between April and October when I took it down due to quality issues. The vast majority of those sales I actually attribute to the cover art, which, although nice, probably gave the impression of paranormal romance more than the actual horror the book was supposed to be.

My second book was published in October and so far it's probably sold only about a dozen copies. But I'm confident people actually have a fair idea what it's about from the cover this time.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
The OP's request was to share the *links* to SP author sales data. If someone put their sales numbers out there on a public blog or site, they clearly want others to know.

Old Hack, are you saying that would be bad practice?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Journo, I think links would be fine, but I am very uncomfortable with us talking about other writers' sales in this thread if they didn't bring those figures here themselves.

It's sensitive information. I don't want anyone to feel hurt by things we say here.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
13 items published:

3 novels
1 novella
5 short stories
3 non-fiction books
1 professional essay

First item published in February 2011

Total Net Sales to date: 257

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
All my data is here at AW in my self-publishing thread. I haven't done a final count for sales in 2013, but I think I'm around the 5,000 total books sold mark (e-book and paperback) since Fall, 2011.

I made a decision about three months into self-publishing that lowered my sales. I knew it was going to, but it was a choice I needed to make for myself. It is about more than sales for me. I'm building a reputation and a career.

At any given time I might say I've fallen gravely short of my goals, surpassed them or am right in line with where I hoped to be. My definition of success changes almost as often.

I quit my day job once and found myself back at a day job six months later. Lesson learned.

Bottom line: I love to write, therefore, I do.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Merri, those sales are great! I'm so pleased for you.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely! 5000 is a huge number. :)

I'm just hitting 1100 sales since June 2013.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Parametric, your sales numbers are great too!

Don't tell anyone, but I'm so proud of all of AW's self-publishers, no matter what your sales. You've all done brilliantly, no matter what your sales. Having worked in trade publishing for so long I understand how much hard work and knowledge is involved in bringing a book to market, and I doubt that I could do well if I had to do everything myself. I am in awe of every one of you.

And if anyone so much as hints that I'm being nice or kind I'll deny it and ban them. So there.