questions on my first script

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
And I do have transcripts, that I look over, to help me with my script format.

Your plan sounds like a good one, however, transcripts are NOT scripts. Don't bother reading them for learning about script writing. Only read actual screenplays.

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
At the expense of sounding like an ogre, I'm always befuddled by individuals who want to write movies and yet are completely clueless about how any of it works.

Your odds of winning the lottery are greater than getting your screenplay produced, so be sure to play the lottery each week. And, as it has been pointed out, putting the script on Amazon is not likely to attract the kind of people who are involved in the making of movies.

It's a long winding and winding road. Typically, you would research a list of managers and agents and write query letters to present your script in the hopes that someone would be interested in soliciting it from you to read. This is pretty difficult. As you've discovered you cannot even get your friends to read your script - let alone a complete stranger. (I have produced movies that friends and family haven't seen!) Maybe an agent reads it and loves it and then serves as its representative to producers and studios and sells the script. Just because the script sells doesn't mean it will ever be produced into a movie. In fact, most scripts that sell are never produced.

It's entirely possible that you've written an amazing script (though I doubt it - the odds are simply against it) and maybe a producer will discover it on Amazon and it becomes the Cinderella story of the year in Hollywood (there's one every so often), but it's unlikely. And since this town is tough enough to break in to, it might be wise to find another way to get your script in front of those who could serve you.

The Internet provides an endless source of information regarding how to navigate the script maze, do your research.

Last edited:

clusterlizzy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
At the expense of sounding like an ogre, I'm always befuddled by individuals who want to write movies and yet are completely clueless about how any of it works.

Your odds of winning the lottery are greater than getting your screenplay produced, so be sure to play the lottery each week. And, as it has been pointed out, putting the script on Amazon is not likely to attract the kind of people who are involved in the making of movies.

It's a long winding and winding road. Typically, you would research a list of managers and agents and write query letters to present your script in the hopes that someone would be interested in soliciting it from you to read. This is pretty difficult. As you've discovered you cannot even get your friends to read your script - let alone a complete stranger. (I have produced movies that friends and family haven't seen!) Maybe an agent reads it and loves it and then serves as its representative to producers and studios and sells the script. Just because the script sells doesn't mean it will ever be produced into a movie. In fact, most scripts that sell are never produced.

It's entirely possible that you've written an amazing script (though I doubt it - the odds are simply against it) and maybe a producer will discover it on Amazon and it becomes the Cinderella story of the year in Hollywood (there's one every so often), but it's unlikely. And since this town is tough enough to break in to, it might be wise to find another way to get your script in front of those who could serve you.

The Internet provides an endless source of information regarding how to navigate the script maze, do your research.
You are totally right. I don't know much. Seems like I find out, something new, everyday. I am glad I came to this site, cause I realized that I was doing the "trying to get my script to sell" all wrong. Some people tell me different things, before I got here. Turns out, I was clueless. Now, I know. Thanks to everyone, here, who has been helping me out with their opinions.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Thanks. I have heard of Final Draft, but it is expensive. I will look into Celtx.
Again I would suggest, if you haven't already checked it out, taking a peek at the screenwriting tips thread, stickied at the top of this forum.

-Derek

Yourg

Registered
Reaction score
I'd look at Dpaterso's screenplay tips page, too.

To that, I'd add (not that he doesn't mention it) Save the Cat by Blake Snyder, which is apparently Hollywood's current screenwriting bible, and Screenwriting for Dummies by Laura Shellhardt. Don't look down your nose at it because it's part of the Dummies series...not that you would. =P

The great thing about Celtx is that it's free. Lots of folks use it and like it.

I haven't tried Final Draft. But Movie Magic 6 is as "industry standard" as Final Draft is, and it's usually a bit cheaper. I have that and have been very pleased with it.

If you just want to get read, get feedback, and are willing to reciprocate, there are some websites out there where you can do that, no charge. You just have to put in the work of reading other writers' scripts too. I won't mention or link to them because I'm guessing maybe we're not supposed to?

Best of luck!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
You also might want to brush up on how commas are to be used.