AW's Super-Dooper Newbie Pub Where Newbies Can Chat With Golden Oldies

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
Moral of the story: Never throw anything away. You will never need it if you have it.
True. On the other hand -- there's probably a fine line between keeping three boxes full of DVD's from an entirely different region code 'just in case', and becoming a hoarder.

Lapidar

Registered
Reaction score
True. On the other hand -- there's probably a fine line between keeping three boxes full of DVD's from an entirely different region code 'just in case', and becoming a hoarder.
one never knows, maybe you need to trade something important like sides of pork with this region and they accept the DVDs.
The drink and the baby polar bear were great. I was awake the whole night and wrote a flash fiction story.
Afterwards I baked some rhubbarb cake. Anyone wants a piece? I got as wel some cream to go with it.

Argon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid if I step into your pond, I may need a designated writer.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
one never knows, maybe you need to trade something important like sides of pork with this region and they accept the DVDs.
The drink and the baby polar bear were great. I was awake the whole night and wrote a flash fiction story.
Afterwards I baked some rhubbarb cake. Anyone wants a piece? I got as wel some cream to go with it.
Rhubarb cake sounds wonderful -- thank you :)

Have you seen the site's weekly Flash Fiction Challenge? Password is currently flashed. May even find some flash fiction from yours truly in this week's challenge, too.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid if I step into your pond, I may need a designated writer.
Welcome to the pub, Argon :)

That may be problematic -- but we do have a range of soft drinks, tea, coffee and various pastry-based goodies, too.

Plus, cookies. Lots and lots of cookies.

Lapidar

Registered
Reaction score
Rhubarb cake sounds wonderful -- thank you :)

Have you seen the site's weekly Flash Fiction Challenge? Password is currently flashed. May even find some flash fiction from yours truly in this week's challenge, too.
Sorry at present I am on vaccation and have only very limited acces to WWW. therefore just an assortment of divers Maroccan Cakes and Pastries and I am sure, you will be able to add the suitable pot of mint tea.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry at present I am on vaccation and have only very limited acces to WWW. therefore just an assortment of divers Maroccan Cakes and Pastries and I am sure, you will be able to add the suitable pot of mint tea.
I'm certain we can put together a pot of mint tea to complement said cakes and pastries :)

* Puts together *

Linnet_Crawford

Registered
Reaction score
Newbie here! Can't believe how vast and wonderfully labyrinthian this community is. How did it take me so long to join in?
*Pours liberal amount of Baileys into hot chocolate*
*Eagerly gears up for writing procrastination mode*

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
Newbie here! Can't believe how vast and wonderfully labyrinthian this community is. How did it take me so long to join in?
*Pours liberal amount of Baileys into hot chocolate*
*Eagerly gears up for writing procrastination mode*
Welcome to the pub, Linnet :)

IMO, procrastination mode definitely works better with Baileys and hot chocolate.

possiblerobot

Your friendly neighborhood robot
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the pub, Linnet :)

IMO, procrastination mode definitely works better with Baileys and hot chocolate.

I can verify the hot chocolate, but I can't say anything about Baileys. I don't drink.

JLinz

Martian Lover
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh... a pub... *grabs a seat and orders a beer* *ogles the cookies* Chocolate chip...?

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh... a pub... *grabs a seat and orders a beer* *ogles the cookies* Chocolate chip...?
Welcome to the pub, JLinz :)

Yep. Pretty sure.

* Passes a beer and a plate of very probably chocolate chip cookies *

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
*sneaks in, does some cleaning, leaves a note saying "I'm alive, just had to reformat my pc and it's left me unable to do much socializing from stresssssssss' then leaves drinks for those who need them*

oliviasalvitore

Registered
Reaction score
hello- just found you guys and excited to be here- well excited and intimidated
I have always loved writing but have always been afraid of having nothing to say, baring too much of my inner dialogue etc- nothing unique to me
I was wondering where i would look for feedback
I'd love honest feedback- if that means its someone saying why did you ever think you could write- (hopefully not that harsh lol) or your too hard to follow- anything to give me the boost to say keep going its remotely interesting or don't bother is really what I need.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
first three sentences
hello- just found you guys and excited to be here- well excited and intimidated
I have always loved writing but have always been afraid of having nothing to say, baring too much of my inner dialogue etc- nothing unique to me
I was wondering where i would look for feedback
I'd love honest feedback- if that means its someone saying why did you ever think you could write- (hopefully not that harsh lol) or your too hard to follow- anything to give me the boost to say keep going its remotely interesting or don't bother is really what I need.
Welcome to the pub, Olivia :)

I totally understand the need for some feedback -- but here's the thing: Pretty much all of us are terrible at this writing malarkey to begin with.

No-one picks up a paintbrush and bangs out a DaVinci, day one. But if you keep going, you'll get better at it -- and it's the same with writing stories. There's a definite art to it, that takes a while to get the hang of.

In terms of getting immediate feedback -- there are two places I'd recommend:

Your first three sentences:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/sho...ces-of-your-Novel-(READ-FIRST-POST-FOR-RULES)
Here, you post your first three sentences, and the critters will tell you if they'd keep reading. More importantly, they'll tell you what would stop them from reading, if that's the case.

Don't: Make immediate changes to what you've written. It'll take a day or so for most critters to see your post. Give it a day or two for their critiques to really sink in, before you post a revised version.
Do: Say "thank you" to anyone that crits, even if you totally disagree with them. They're spending their time that they could use to write, to help your writing get better. The Blue stars at the bottom left of each post lets you send individual "thank you's" to critters.

Your first two hundred words:
These all live in the Share Your Work sub-Forums, which are broken up by genre. Some are more active than others.

The Share Your work Forum is here:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?26-Share-Your-Work

It'll ask you for a password. That's to stop Google and other search engines from indexing anything you write in here. The password is currently vista

An example 200 word fantasy/sci-fi thread: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/sho...200-words-or-less-And-maybe-you-ll-earn-a-rep

Once you've made 50 posts, you'll be able to start your own thread within the Share Your Work forum, that'll let you post a longer piece for feedback, such as your first chapter.

Making junk posts to get to 50 is heavily frowned upon. The best way, IMO, is to hang out in those two threads above (and the pub, obviously!), and try critiquing other people's words.

You'll learn a surprising amount that way -- or at least, I have.

IMO, good writers are just bad writers that keep going, until they get good.

If what you post does turn out to need more work -- then you're in very good company.

And, if it doesn't -- then, Yay!

Edit to add: Welp. First three sentences thread is currently locked. Suggest you try the 200 words threads, instead.

Last edited:

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
*pops behind bar & serves myself a Baileys

Nice to know the place hasn't burned down in my absence. Hi everyone.

kalzandius

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

After hearing about the site for a while, I finally decided to hop on and check things out. I've been writing on and off for the better part of the last 20-ish years, and decided to "get serious" about writing sometime around early 2013. I've written 33 novels (almost done with #34). I'm published via a small press, though I do not have an agent. (Some other authors at my press do have agents, so I think I'm in good company). Most of my books are science fiction with a cyberpunk/paranormal twist, and some post-apoc. I've also delved into contemporary YA, paranormal (ghosts) YA and a middle-grade fantasy series. Even took a stab at YA horror.

Anyway, I figured I'd poke my nose in here and see why people in the writing world keep talking about this place :)

-Matt

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the pub and AW, Kalzandius! Ton of places to get lost in here in the AW - lots of info. Also some pretty cool people.

Status
Not open for further replies.