AW's Super-Dooper Newbie Pub Where Newbies Can Chat With Golden Oldies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisaj1121

Firefly1121
Registered
Reaction score
Diet Cherry Coke, now your talking! That's one of my faves! Have you ever tried D.C. With mine?! So good!!

Lisaj1121

Firefly1121
Registered
Reaction score
No thank you.

I'll just take some Hershey's Kisses. A combination of chocolate and hugs varieties, if that's okay. How how about a Diet Cherry Coke to drink?

Diet Cherry Coke, now your talking! That's one of my faves! Have you ever tried Diet Coke with Lime?! So good!!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to all the newbies. :welcome:

:snoopy:

:hooray:

May the last 20% go quickly and may the editing not be too painful.
Thanks PK. :Hug2: I've been editing as I go along, so hopefully it's not too painful. :e2chain:

That's awesome news -- well done, chap :)

Most of my spare time has been wiped out with the launch (and support) of the video game. It's sold pretty well for a first time Indy game-- 9k units, so far. Just now starting to wind down a little.

I've also been working on some interactive fiction on the side -- basically a "Choose your Own Adventure" style video game for grown-ups, featuring the Cthulhu mythos and a metric flip-ton of swearing. It's about 20% complete so far & hoping to launch it Q3 next year.

The conventional writing, however, is on hold until NaNo this year -- where I hope to finish the second draft of January Gray.
Thanks Tiggs. :)

I'm glad the game is doing well, considering the boatload of time and hard work you've put into it. And I grew up on those "choose-your-own-adventure" books. One aimed at an adult audience sounds really cool.

And one more month until Nano. You'll be working on January in November*. (*that wasn't as clever as I thought.)

ESHanson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, there--

I've been around, but I haven't written anything since 2015. Now I'm looking at starting to write again by looking at writing and selling articles. I haven't been successful at this before (I've written before, but never been paid). It's been such a long time that I've lost my 'mojo' so to speak. I'm looking for tips for getting my courage back. I'm very anxious about writing again. Does anyone have any ideas on how to overcome this? Thanks.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Tiggs. :)

I'm glad the game is doing well, considering the boatload of time and hard work you've put into it. And I grew up on those "choose-your-own-adventure" books. One aimed at an adult audience sounds really cool.

And one more month until Nano. You'll be working on January in November*. (*that wasn't as clever as I thought.)
Roll on November! It's been a while since I actually buckled down and did some real writing. Looking forward to it, as it happens.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, there--

I've been around, but I haven't written anything since 2015. Now I'm looking at starting to write again by looking at writing and selling articles. I haven't been successful at this before (I've written before, but never been paid). It's been such a long time that I've lost my 'mojo' so to speak. I'm looking for tips for getting my courage back. I'm very anxious about writing again. Does anyone have any ideas on how to overcome this? Thanks.
Hi ESHanson, and welcome to the pub :)

The general advice people give when you fall off a horse is to get back on it.

The reason people say that, is because if you think about it too long, you'll start focusing on the fall, rather than the ride -- and that's what you'll associate horse riding with.

Thing is -- people do fall off horses, occasionally. But the reason they get back in the saddle, is because they really enjoy horse riding.

So, my advice would be to start with something like a gentle trot around the stable, rather than a full-on steeplechase. Do some stuff for you, first. In writing terms -- maybe some poetry, or some flash fiction. Something that's not going to take you forever to write, and where there's no pressure on you to make it good enough to sell.

In short -- give yourself some time to remember what it is you love about writing.

IMO, when you remember that, the rest will just naturally follow.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
*wonders where all the glitter came from*

*glances up*

Oh.

*steals all the M&Ms*

And welcome to all the newbies. :welcome:

Roll on November! It's been a while since I actually buckled down and did some real writing. Looking forward to it, as it happens.
:yessmiley

metahead

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, new one here.
I have a question. I don't really know what to call my style. But the writers I read are Flannery O'Conner, JD Salinger, and Fyodor Dostoyevsky. So I working on becoming what I love. I'm not really up to date with the current "who's who" of writing. All I know is that YA is still reigning supreme. So the question is how do I market myself? Is there an audience for my work? I'm new to this part, so I don't know what I am doing.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, new one here.
I have a question. I don't really know what to call my style. But the writers I read are Flannery O'Conner, JD Salinger, and Fyodor Dostoyevsky. So I working on becoming what I love. I'm not really up to date with the current "who's who" of writing. All I know is that YA is still reigning supreme. So the question is how do I market myself? Is there an audience for my work? I'm new to this part, so I don't know what I am doing.

The writers you read can influence your writing, but your style or voice will still -probably- end up being your own. I wouldn't fight that too much. With that said, there is almost always an audience out there for anything well-written. If you're looking to write to a particular audience, then that's a different question I suppose, but if you're writing stories that you (and your beta readers) find interesting, then you'll need to identify the market and aim your energies there.

Salsmal

Registered
Reaction score
Hi ESHanson, and welcome to the pub :)

The general advice people give when you fall off a horse is to get back on it.

The reason people say that, is because if you think about it too long, you'll start focusing on the fall, rather than the ride -- and that's what you'll associate horse riding with.

Thing is -- people do fall off horses, occasionally. But the reason they get back in the saddle, is because they really enjoy horse riding.

So, my advice would be to start with something like a gentle trot around the stable, rather than a full-on steeplechase. Do some stuff for you, first. In writing terms -- maybe some poetry, or some flash fiction. Something that's not going to take you forever to write, and where there's no pressure on you to make it good enough to sell.

In short -- give yourself some time to remember what it is you love about writing.

IMO, when you remember that, the rest will just naturally follow.

I needed to read something like this. I'm about 10k words into this project I've had my mind on for months. I've only recently written most of it which is why I feel like I'm "on the horse" again when more than likely I was never on.

Reading your post makes me think I should write the project that I have now, but in a shorter, more compact format than 75k-100k words. I kind of feel like the story won't take in a short flash way, but maybe if it doesn't I should take that as a sign that there wasn't much of a story to begin with.

metahead

Registered
Reaction score
The writers you read can influence your writing, but your style or voice will still -probably- end up being your own. I wouldn't fight that too much. With that said, there is almost always an audience out there for anything well-written. If you're looking to write to a particular audience, then that's a different question I suppose, but if you're writing stories that you (and your beta readers) find interesting, then you'll need to identify the market and aim your energies there.

Thank you for your reply!

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
The door creaks open and a spider dangles down towards the new guest. I smack it with my broom only for it to shriek. I giggle "Oops, sorry Harry didn't realize you were a real spider." My long pointy hat droops a little when both hands filled with halloween treats of cookies and cupcakes wobble a little when I place them on the bar. "Hello all and I have missed this place. I hope all is well. Please have some iced pumpkin sugar cookies or pumpkin cookies. Oh there some hot cider as well in the keg behind the bar." I take mug of the the cider and a pumpkin cookie and sit at the computer hutch in the corner to do some editing.

Last edited:

HansTheNarcissist

Registered
Reaction score
What do I gotta do to get a drink around here, Mister Bartender?
First time in this area, just got finished with the Newbie Tour.

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
What do I gotta do to get a drink around here, Mister Bartender?
First time in this area, just got finished with the Newbie Tour.

Welcome Hans and Macnrayna,

Sorry for the delay but here's a nice speciality drink to welcome you both to the pub. I have brought some hot cider (spiked) to take the chill out of the fall brisk winds.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How do you promote growth as a writer besides the obvious of voraciously reading and writing a lot per day?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
How do you promote growth as a writer besides the obvious of voraciously reading and writing a lot per day?

Critting. Honest. It's one of the best ways I know to learn to read for revision; it helps you learn to read as a writer and as a reader, at the same time.

OohAShiny

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all! Super newb here :hi:
I write spec fic, mostly kidlit, and I've been writing fiction for 12 years, editing for the last 3. I've also been lurking for random research for a few years, but this is the first time I've registered, lol. I bring brownies and peppermint hot chocolate (with a healthy shot of Rumchata). See y'all around!

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
Huh, I just found this. Interesting.

I'll have a Dark and Stormy please.

Any cat lovers in here?

Status
Not open for further replies.