AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 471 of 471 FirstFirst ... 221371396421446461465466467468469470471
Results 11,751 to 11,763 of 11763

Thread: Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Pub Where Newbies Can Chat With Golden Oldies

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Willer's Avatar
    I am a cat lover I'm also a lover of dogs and all animals in general but not so much those poisonous venomous creepy ones you know. They can bite with a bite of deathly circumstances.

I'll just occupy that table overthere in preparation for my maiden introductory speech.
    Bartender…... this looks like someone threw up here.

I think this bar needs a cat to class up the joint.

Willer, I am similar. I love most animals but the creepy poisonous ones are best avoided. Cats are my first loves though. I enjoy dogs as well and have owned a couple and hope to own more some day.
    Last edited by GypsyLayla; 11-12-2017 at 12:59 PM.

Yes GypsyLayla, it's been neglected for some time because the noobs like us dwelling in this alleged super-dooper watering hole are ignored by big wigs until we rise in unity and yell out and show them once and for all that we are the force to be reckoned with. The joint our noobs pub really deserves cat class status that commands attention.

I love cats for the fact that they bring good fortune and they are depicted in some mythologies as goddesses of love and fertility. We all know they have nine lives and no matter which way you throw a cat into the air they always land on their paws. ( In contrast to throwing a human up in the air.)

There are other amazing things to be said about our feline friends but at some later times.

And just imagine all this praise for pussies coming from an old dog like me!

Willer, I love your wit. And I'm reading Wee Free Men by Pratchett. (I've read all his adult books but was delaying this because I liked having books of his unread. It was like... he's not really gone if I still have books of his to read. Love that man. I am enjoying the read, though it is bittersweet.). And you line about throwing humans up in the air made me laugh and reminded me of his writing. I do hope whatever you write, you let your humor shine through.

Let me know when it's time to rise. I refuse to shine though, FYI.

So many WIPs which one to work on Jill Karg's Avatar
    yawning as I stretch and see new pubbers very nice to see new faces. I trip over a kitty bowl and pet the tabby sleeping on the bar chair. Ahh brought in our furry friends too I see. I make a note to others to include kitty treats on the next supply run. I get a drink of coffee and settle down to edit ....and edit......dang I really need get through this process and move on to writing. Happy Monday it is rain/sleet day here in ohio hope it is sunny somewhere.
    Jill M Karg
    The first step to happiness is to know what makes you happy.

Hi Jim, No sun here. Overcast in CA. I brought some cat food and some treats to tide the tabby over. I'm taking a break from the hell that is queries. Will be back at it in a few days, beta reading (trade) for now.

Have you guys seen this? https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Writ.../dp/B0732YRC27 I bought it for my husband (and co-writing partner).

Do you know, I just realised I have never posted in this thread before. And I am both old and practically golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyLayla View Post
    Have you guys seen this? https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Writ.../dp/B0732YRC27 I bought it for my husband (and co-writing partner).
    That's adorable.

Thanks for the recommended book The Wee Free Men GypsyLayla, I have already started on the first chapter A Clang Well Done and Miss Tick the witch and her exploring the universe.

I like this writing on the stall sign:

THE WONDERS OF PUNCTUATION AND SPELLING
    1*ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY ABOUT THE COMMA!
    2*I BEFORE E COMPLETELY SORTED OUT!
    3*THE MYSTERY OF THE SEMICOLON REVEALED!!!
    4*SEE THE AMPERSAND! (SMALL EXTRA CHARGE)
    5*FUN WITH BRACKETS!
    ** WILL ACCEPT VEGETABLES, EGGS, AND CLEAN USED CLOTHING **

Hang on! GypsyLayla has disappeared into thin air. Women never stay long in one place nowadays.

Jill thanks for the welcome but I wonder if you notice your orange tabby ginger ninja has disappeared into thin air as well.

Nonetheless if you happen to peep in here again I'm struggling with my maiden introduction in that it 'got to be worded in a way that my master (wife) can't figure out who I am Otherwise I can not write freely to my liking for harsh criticism and cruel barbs from her and her sister (and the other members that constitute my bona fide family like our cats , dogs , hamsters and meerkat ) will be abundant.

Bartender….traditional absinthe with lots of thujone!

ETA:
    No she's back. I don't know about the cat. (I think the cat turned into a grandma - am I hallucinating already?)

Glad you like it MC!

Willer, have you read Pratchett before? If you haven't, I suggest going to look up the Night Watch series and starting with Guards! Guards!. You are welcome for the recommendation, Pratchett is a singular talent. You may also want to pick up Good Omens, a collaboration with Neil Gaimen.

Orange tabby comes strolling back in....

Grandma is curiously absent. There might be more to the cat than we'd originally thought.

You know what I like best about Absolute Write so far? Everyone knows the difference between wary and weary. I get twitchy when I see the two confused on other boards. It's all I can do not not hit caps lock and start yelling.

I'd still like someone to clear up some of those grammatical mysteries for me. Even the Gods of Google haven't sufficiently explained the semi colon for me, I fear.
    Last edited by GypsyLayla; 11-15-2017 at 06:03 AM.

Terry is getting to me. I've got the Guards!Guards! novel. The story starts with noir film sentiment permeating through crime / detective mystery fiction and ends with a Hollywood happy ending.
    Sort of.
    I skimmed through it and lest I be crucified for ignorance I must say Pratchett's whimsical wits and humour made my day.

There is more to our orange tabby than cheap sorcery tricks and I think it my be a werecat. Some people around here are possessed of therianthropy. Oh my God, otherkins are amongst us.
    Scary.
    I find that people often confuse the words illegible and unreadable and the lurkers would probably apply this latter to my posts punctually. I hold no grudge against them.

Bartender I need my magic potion

I am happy you enjoyed the Prattchet novels. My personal favorites are the later Nightwatch books especially Night Watch and 5th Elephant (but they must be read in order, IMO), Monsterous Regiment (which chronologically takes place much much later than Guards!) and the Death Novels, especially anything with Susan, including the Hogfather. Oh and Cohan the Barbarian (which is a must in hardcover) which is largely a standalone.

My favorite characters are Lord Vetinari and Leonard of Quirm, Granny Weatherwax (who could shave the skin off a second), Susan and the Death of Mice.

Hmm... I'll have to keep an eye on the tabby.

illegible and unreadable, YES!
    Last edited by GypsyLayla; 11-17-2017 at 01:56 PM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin RenchiDoodle's Avatar
    Hello new and old members! I'm new! I shall add the recommended Bailey's to my coffee. This thread is overwhelmingly long, but I am having fun reading random pages :-) Thanks for giving me a place to start getting to know people!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin RenchiDoodle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraP View Post
    *looks at the muffins on her counter*

Soft and warm and delicious, golden brown on top with the blueberries still kind of oozing.

(Yes, I'm totally being mean right now.)
    Behold the wonders of the internet, where muffins you made in August can still give me cravings mid-November! Well played, SaraP. Well played.

Page 471 of 471 FirstFirst ... 221371396421446461465466467468469470471