The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Three Hares Publishing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Three Hares Publishing

This is another new publisher I've just stumbled across:

http://threeharespublishing.com/

I don't think they're officially launching until March, but it looks quite interesting.

Does anybody have any experience of the agent and editor involved?

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    A publishing company with an agent? Strange. This is the part I found peculiar:

If a traditional publisher comes knocking on our door then we strike a hard bargain but in the meantime, our authors can earn some money through sales and build up a following and get their book out there.

Am I misreading this? It sounds as if they think they can publish their authors' work as a stopgap before a trade publisher snaps it up.
    KINGLET: Coming from FIERY SEAS PUBLISHING in August 2017

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Staff bios aren't too bad. Yet, they accept all cats and genres of fiction, except PBs and poetry. I'm not keen on their form when they require my personal address--don't know why they would want that. No mention of payment as far as royalty or advance. I'm assuming no distribution. Funny thing about the agent involved and referring to themselves as "scouts."

Wait and see?

They have three books up for now.

tri

Bless their hearts. They have 3 books, and 11 categories, such as 'spine tinglers', 'warm and uplifting' and 'sand, cocktails and the sea', and they've spread out the 3 books, in various arrangements, between them.
    The covers seem okay, in that I didn't really notice them, but, what's up with the 'if a traditional publisher turns up' stuff? What are they? YADS? I can understand them not having a 'buy' button, if they're not ready to open, but... in 3 months I won't be looking for any of these books, or their site.

I guess if I get rejected I can say I missed it by a hare. Or hair.

Strange place.

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmig View Post
    If a traditional publisher comes knocking on our door then we strike a hard bargain but in the meantime, our authors can earn some money through sales and build up a following and get their book out there.
    This just SCREAMS "market it yourself, dummy."

How is this "traditional publisher" going to know about the book to come knocking? "Hard bargain" sounds great, "but in the meantime" the AUTHORS "earn money through sales," "build a following," and "get out there."

Nope. Not buying it this time.
    Join any time! Take the 2017 AW Reading Challenge. Pick 12 books from a list of topics and read/discuss with us throughout the year.

figuring it all out
    It doesn't sound like making sales to 'traditional publishers' is a priority for them, or something they expect to do routinely for the manuscripts they accept, with language like 'any traditional publishing deals that come along'. I recognise the name of their agent Yasmin Standen, who to the best of my knowledge is a perfectly legitimate and reputable agent, but if an author wants to seek her representation, I'm not seeing what they gain from submitting to Three Hares rather than to her directly.

It'll be interesting to see how well their in-house published books sell, once they officially launch later in the year.

Hi

I know a wee bit about Three Hares. It's run by Helen Bryant, who runs Cornerstones Literary Consultancy in the UK and Yasmin Standen, a UK agent. I don't know very much about Yasmin, but Helen has been in the business a long time, has lots of contacts and really knows her stuff.

I don't know all the ins and outs of Three Hares, but as I understand it, it's an initiative to help authors to self publish.

I do have some details about how things work, but they may be out of date. Best to contact Three Hares and ask for details if anyone's interested in subbing.

Quote Originally Posted by HJW View Post
    I don't know all the ins and outs of Three Hares, but as I understand it, it's an initiative to help authors to self publish.
    Ah, that might make sense ...

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    We have an existing thread about Standen Literary, which you can find here.

This publishing initiative seems an extraordinary conflict of interests to me (although I haven't looked at it very closely, so might well be corrected on that one). I note that while Yasmin Standen seems to be a good person she doesn't seem to have made many sales for her clients. I'd be cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    I note that while Yasmin Standen seems to be a good person she doesn't seem to have made many sales for her clients. I'd be cautious.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing ...

On the other hand, perhaps I'm just being over-cautious, and it'll be a roaring success! Who knows?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Like any other publisher, wait a couple of years to see if they're still in business.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    This publishing initiative seems an extraordinary conflict of interests to me (although I haven't looked at it very closely, so might well be corrected on that one). I note that while Yasmin Standen seems to be a good person she doesn't seem to have made many sales for her clients. I'd be cautious.
    I agree. Major conflict of interest, and caution is definitely in order.

- Victoria

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJE81 View Post
    I was thinking exactly the same thing ...

On the other hand, perhaps I'm just being over-cautious, and it'll be a roaring success! Who knows?
    No one knows for sure.

But an agent who has a very poor record of sales is probably not making money out of agenting; and so when that same agent finds a new way to make money out of her clients, you have to think carefully about who stands to gain the most from that new business.

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump. Anybody had any dealings with them lately?

Nope, but it seems Helen Bryant (nee Corner) is no longer involved as the website now says its run by Yasmin with no mention of Helen.
    Last edited by HJW; 01-13-2015 at 03:07 AM.

Haven't tried anything with them yet.

tri