Whoopsie-daisy!: Kentucky State Rep. Accidentally Discharges

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
An interesting article came across my facebook today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...emi-automatic-handgun-office-cleaning-it.html

A state representative in Kentucky caused a security scare when she accidentally fired her gun while cleaning it in her office at the state legislature.
But Leslie Combs has brushed off the accident, claiming that it comes with the territory of gun ownership.
'I'm a gun owner. It happens,' she said today after news of yesterday's accident broke.

I'm all for claiming that "shit happens", but why are you cleaning your firearm while your colleague's around? It might not be explicitly illegal (v.i.), but it's definitely taboo to have a firearm in a government building.

Though guns are not allowed inside many government buildings, the law that put that in place in Kentucky expired in 2003 and since Ms Combs has a concealed weapons permit, she did nothing wrong by having it with her.

Well, thank goodness nobody was hurt, at least.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
But Leslie Combs has brushed off the accident, claiming that it comes with the territory of gun ownership.

This is perhaps the only time I've ever heard of a gun advocate claiming that accidental discharge simply came with the territory of gun ownership.

Amazing.

And yet, I'd have to agree. I know a lot of gun owners, and it seems like they all have stories of accidental discharges.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I have owned various guns for almost 50 years now. I have never had an accidental discharge while cleaning one.

Not to mention the idea of cleaning your gun in your office at work is a little odd, to say the least.

Of course, I haven't done a lot of shooting over the last decade, so I haven't done a lot of cleaning either.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Her excuse that it went off while she was cleaning it reeks of bullshit.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I have owned various guns for almost 50 years now. I have never had an accidental discharge while cleaning one.

Not to mention the idea of cleaning your gun in your office at work is a little odd, to say the least.

Of course, I haven't done a lot of shooting over the last decade, so I haven't done a lot of cleaning either.

Her excuse that it went off while she was cleaning it reeks of bullshit.
Gee, proof that yet another politician is a liar, an idiot, or probably both.

I'm a big supporter of an armed citizenry, but I think the political class should be disarmed upon taking the oath of office, as that act demonstrates a willingness to initiate violence to advance your agenda.

If she wants violence visited on somebody, she should use the police, the military, or the court system, the way she's supposed to.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I know at least two people - one a cop - who had accidental discharges while cleaning their guns. For the cop, it was his habit, after removing the bullets, to pull the trigger a couple of times just to be very sure there was no way he could accidentally shoot himself while cleaning the gun. He swears that he'd removed the bullets and double-checked himself the day that he ended up shooting a hole in his roof, but my guess is he'd thought he'd left the gun unloaded and so had skipped that step.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Just another responsible gun owner*... :rolleyes:

*(Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying all gun owners are irresponsible. Just that the number who say they are and the number who actually are are wildly different)

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi

*(Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying all gun owners are irresponsible. Just that the number who say they are and the number who actually are are wildly different)

Agree. And it seems like there's no way to know the difference until after the accidental discharge.

Glad no one was hurt.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
This is perhaps the only time I've ever heard of a gun advocate claiming that accidental discharge simply came with the territory of gun ownership.

Amazing.

And yet, I'd have to agree. I know a lot of gun owners, and it seems like they all have stories of accidental discharges.

I don't.

Neither do any of the RL gun owners I hang out with.

Accidental discharges are not okay. This story puts me into conniptions. When you're finished shooting,* you clear your fucking gun. Before you start field-stripping you also clear your fucking gun. It's the very first thing you do when you're cleaning it. And even after you've cleared it, you still treat it AS IF IT'S LOADED, and you keep your finger OFF THE FUCKING TRIGGER.

:gaah

If someone is handling a firearm correctly, an accidental discharge while cleaning should be impossible. This isn't a "shit happens, humans make mistakes" thing -- there's too much redundancy built into gun safety for that. If you are handling a gun safely, it means you are doing multiple concurrent things to make sure it only discharges when you want it to. So this sort of thing doesn't mean the person made one mistake. It means a deliberate, flagrant ignorance or flouting of proper firearms safety. It should. Not. Happen.

I feel absolutely no sympathy or leniency for irresponsible gun owners. It's not a fucking toy.

* Unless you're carrying or leaving a gun loaded for home defense, in which case, you should damn well know it's loaded, and everything else above still applies.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
oops_ppk.jpg

My accidental discharge is seen on the table in the upper left.

The friendly staff at the shooting range neglected to inform me that that particular model of Walther PPK had been recalled due to a manufacturing defect where it fires immediately upon releasing the safety.

Oops.

No, I don't own a gun. But I keep a wooden sword beside my bed.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score

I agree. Every time there is a situation like this or worse, I wonder if the gun owner and those around him (or her) thought he was a responsible gun owner.

My husband owns guns. He doesn't understand why we can't have reasonable national gun laws with some kind of safety classes/ safety certification. When we moved from Florida, where he had to do very little to own his guns, to Massachusetts, where he had to pass a safety course and belong to a gun club, and re-register yearly, I think, he thought it was an improvement.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I have a problem with re-registering. Letting government track who is exercising their constitutional rights, that just bugs me. That's not a blanket rejection. I don't mind the FOID, nor permits like concealed carry. And initial registration of a gun when it's acquired is fine by me, too.

I'd rather hold gun owners criminally responsible if they fail to report loss of custody of a gun. Seems to me that this serves the same purpose as reregistration.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
On the one hand, we have a car, which is potentially a lethal weapon, whose main purpose is to provide transport.
On the other, we have a gun, which is potentially a lethal weapon, whose main purpose is to propel a lethal projectile at very great speed and hit a target.

One of these things requires lots of training and a test to acquire a licence to use it. It boggles my mind that the other does not.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't have a problem with it so long as the object if dangerous or vulnerable, e.g. cars, poisons, prescription drugs, steel jawed traps, pets, adopted kids etc. I think that makes it a legitimate public interest.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
@JimmyB27:

Only one of those two is cited as a right by the US Constitution. That's the complicating factor.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
My accidental discharge is seen on the table in the upper left.

The friendly staff at the shooting range neglected to inform me that that particular model of Walther PPK had been recalled due to a manufacturing defect where it fires immediately upon releasing the safety.

Oops.

No, I don't own a gun. But I keep a wooden sword beside my bed.

Good God. I can't comprehend why they still have that weapon, let alone lend it without a VERY clear understanding of what could happen. Frankly, I'm appalled. I can't imagine your shock (and no, that was NOT your fault!)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Good God. I can't comprehend why they still have that weapon, let alone lend it without a VERY clear understanding of what could happen. Frankly, I'm appalled. I can't imagine your shock (and no, that was NOT your fault!)

Yeah, that was a bit freaky.

Makes for an interesting story, at least.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
a well-regulated right. Always seem to forget that part...

Considering I just advocated for registration, and for criminal penalties for loss of control of a gun, I don't see how I've forgotten it.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
well-regulated didn't mean "wrapped in laws" when the 2A was written. It meant "competent," to put it briefly. Always seem to forget that part...

Given that we're in a thread where someone's arguing that accidental gun discharges are a part of normal operation, I think the issue of competence is pretty relevant.

If you really want to go down the road of conditions when the law was written, have at it, but given that it involved muskets, I don't find it terribly germane, personally.