• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[File search] General EBooks / General World

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Attn: Authors. There is a website, general-ebooks.com that is offering free downloads of ebooks without permission. Please go to this website and see if your books are listed for free downloads. If so, it's essential that you contact them (link is bottom right of page) and tell them to cease and desist. It's also necessary for you to contact your publisher regarding this website.

I don't know how this got started, but we've found three (3) of our books on it, and some author friends have found all of their books on it. Have a care.

DP

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Just something to keep in mind, not all the sites general ebooks have posted about your book lead to pirate sites. For example, my book Otaku leads to Smashwords. You can read the blurb and then it directs you to the Smashwords site to buy.

However, one of the links about my book Undercover Lover leads to a pirate site. So you have to send a take down notice to each individual pirate site.

Be careful too, some of the links will set off your virus programs.

Last edited:

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You have to check each one of your books separately. Some are just blurbs,some lead to a buying site, but others lead right to your book for download. You can email them with a protest and cease and desist if it's pirated.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
General e-books still at it

Dear authors, my earlier post about this piracy site still stands. These folks are taking your ebooks and giving them away. At your request, they will take them off for a week or two, but then put them right back to be downloaded for free. I've put our publishers on notice about this site. There must be a way to close them down. We need to have a united front against them.

Any suggestions?

Nimyth

Registered
Reaction score
Big money talks, any one considered a 'class action' type of suit. I am not a lawyer, know nothing about the law so not even sure if something like that works with written materials. But I do know most companies do not like the negative publicity such things as boycotts and class action suits shine on them

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Piracy Warning: General-eBooks.com

I got a Google Alert and found my eBook, The Animals of London on this site with a "Get Book" button that goes to a pirated copy of my book on liversely.com. In a few seconds the URL in the browser changes to livedirsetsoftware.org. Instructions pop up for getting the download of my work. (BTW, I cut and pasted those site names so the unusual spellings are theirs).

I used the copyright infringement button and told General eBooks to remove the listing. Found two copies. Copied all the URLs and filed a DMCA.

The file hosting sites have no contact information and they have red Web of Trust warnings that could indicate malware, so I didn't enter those sites.

Here's the link for setting up Google Alerts: https://www.google.com/alerts#

I used the DMCA form through Google's webmaster's tools (requires being logged in to a Google account): https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dmca-notice

I also left comments on each book listing on General-eBooks asking readers not to use the "Get Book" button because my work was pirated. A new eBook series I published this month was also stolen and offered on this site so I had to repeat the procedure and again some of the books had two listings each.

Now I have to file DMCAs for each title of the series. I'm wondering if there's a way to set up macros for this, or other automated methods? Lazarus was handy (Firefox add-on) because I could refill all the forms with one click. There should be a better way -- this is time-consuming.

If you check for your books, look under title and author. The new series didn't show up under the author name but I found all of them under the series title.

How do the rest of you deal with this? If I was making enough, I'd outsource this, but I'm new at epublishing and that's not in the budget. I'd planned to spend my day finishing the next book and instead I lost most of the day to dealing with being robbed, and chances are it won't stop the thieves. I've seen posting on Kindle Boards from authors who report their books are repeatedly offered on Google Play by pirates. The authors have to keep filing.

Any thoughts on ways to keep on this? Is there any software or a service? This was a huge hit against my enthusiasm for publishing.

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
How do the rest of you deal with this? If I was making enough, I'd outsource this, but I'm new at epublishing and that's not in the budget.

My book show up on new pirate sites every day--most disappear and reappear elsewhere faster than a whack-a-mole game. I've long since given up attempting to do anything about them, since people who download books from these sites are either: a) victims of credit-card phishing scams; or b) unlikely to have ever paid for books anyway.

RikWriter

Banned
Reaction score
My first two books are all over these sites. Doesn't bother me too much. As WriterBN said, I doubt people who DL books from these sites were ever likely to buy mine legitimately anyway.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
WriterBN & RikWriter -- Thanks for the perspective. Yeah, people cool with supporting scrapers and pirates probably aren't going to become paying readers. Bummed me out because I've been working long hours to launch new eBook lines.

I had some responses on Kindle Boards that General eBooks takes the listings down when you tell them to -- there's a copyright infringement button on the listings. I hope that my comments on the site might reach people who don't realize the work is pirated.

The DMCA dashboard in Google Webmaster tools tracks the URLs that have my pirated work.

Yeah, I figure this is like the hydra. Whack-a-mole, too.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
People who steal copyright will not apply the same argument when Robots take their jobs.

"Why would someone want to pay when I can get it cheaper / free."

Maybe our stuff getting nicked is fair game given what's coming.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Domain flagged by Google as a deceptive (phishing) site. Also, recent complaints on FB of users unable to access/search.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Remember that these sites are not putting up other people's work for free out of some "Words should be unchained!" feeling. Users will be bitten sooner or later by scams or malware. Even if I had no money for books (eek, just writing that scares me!) I'd use library loans rather than these sites, out of self-preservation as much as morality.