• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Iguana Books

Taran

Registered
Reaction score
Website
onelastsketch.wordpress.com
Canadian publisher. Noticed it because Cathi Bond has a book out with them. But...claims to be "reinventing" publishing by making the author pay for everything.

I guess as long as you know what you're getting into, they are at least up-front about their costs. Observe:

Even a manuscript that needs just a light polish will have editing costs of between $1,000 and $4,000. A manuscript that needs two or three rounds of editing can run anywhere from $4,000 to $15,000 or more and a manuscript that needs more extensive work — such as a nonfiction book where rewriting or even ghostwriting is recommended — will be more. As well, there are costs for cover design, formatting, proofreading, and promotion. The total is typically in the $5,000 to $10,000 range. If these amounts sound high, don’t worry — alternate methods of financing, like crowdfunding (there’s that word, again), can help you offset the cost.

So you're looking at c. $5000 - $15,000 (!) to publish. Holy guacamole. But, uh...they promise an "extraordinarily high royalty rate" (on net, of course) I guess, so that's okay. Apparently, a very small number of books will have the costs covered by the publisher.

What I find interesting is that crowdfunding a book's publication is baked right into the contract, and it seems assumed that this will be the primary way authors will fund their books.

http://iguanabooks.com/publishing-with-iguana/

The contract: http://iguanabooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/IGUANA-BOOK-CONTRACT.pdf

Last edited:

Taran

Registered
Reaction score
Website
onelastsketch.wordpress.com
Wonder how they justify taking 15% of the net beyond listing the book on their website and putting an iguana symbol on it. They don't seem to invest anything in the book itself, and the up-front fees are more than enough to keep the company afloat.

Of course, this question could be asked of just about any vanity publishing operation.

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
Wonder how they justify taking 15% of the net beyond listing the book on their website and putting an iguana symbol on it. They don't seem to invest anything in the book itself, and the up-front fees are more than enough to keep the company afloat.

For recruiting editors and other freelancers, I'd imagine. I know a workshopper who wanted me to pay him a recruiting fee -- he'd give me clients' names, he said, for a percentage.

I said no.

I find my own clients. I don't need to pay someone for them.

Someone's supposed to pay me to copyedit, that's how production works.

Very possibly Iguana feels the same way as that workshopper. Money for finding the professionals who work on your book. Just as a temp agency charges you for the folks who show up on their doorstep, who the agency tests and then sends out to work.

Traditional publishing does the recruiting and pays the professionals involved, but pays you an advance as a bet, hoping you'll make sales, after all.

I am not condoning this model. I prefer trad pub, they pay me better.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know... not sure what happened. The guy running it used to run a editing service. Which I somehow discovered during my early years as a freelance copy editor.

I didn't get any work with them [him] in the past, but he just approached me today about sf/f editing.

Will keep y'all updated.

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
Checking everything over... updating link. Finding their website is www.iguanabooks.ca.

(I remembered his previous site ended in .ca, hence the update. Yes, a bit of the distracted-ferret syndrome; why do you ask?)

ASZ*---

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Is a division of Colborne Communications, which is also behind PubLaunch, the reimagining of defunct Pubslush (article).