Querying Multiple Agents in Agency

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Most agencies, it seems, share queries among agents and will pass a query on to another agent if it seems like a better fit for them. I recently noticed that Donald Maas Literary Agency allows submissions to multiple agents (though not simultaneously) -- does anyone know of other agencies that will allow you to query multiple agents at the same time, or query another agent in the agency if one has passed on it already?

zenjenn

Minion Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I have verified that Foreword Literary allows queries to multiple agents, though not simultaneously. There is only limited overlap in what genres their agents represent, though. Someone can correct me on this but it *seems* to be the case that submitting to another appropriate agent at the same agency after receiving a rejection is OK unless their submission guidelines specifically state that a rejection from one agent is a rejection from the agency.

Last edited:

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
it *seems* to be the case that submitting to another appropriate agent at the same agency after receiving a rejection is OK unless their submission guidelines specifically state that a rejection from one agent is a rejection from the agency.

Ah, see, I thought it was the opposite -- that it's the exception rather than the rule and you shouldn't submit to another agent at the agency unless they specifically say you can.

Maybe I'm wrong though?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You should follow agency guidelines at all times.

They'll usually say whether or not it's ok to query more than one agent at the agency.

If they don't specify then query one agent at the agency, and if you get a rejection, or if a decent amount of time has passed since you queried them (a year?), then you're probably safe to query another agent at that agency.

And now I'm going to move this from General Publishing Discussions to Ask The Agent, where it's a better fit.