Country Music: All Pickup Trucks, Girls in Jeans, Drinking by the Riverbank.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Fox News doesn't get a lot of love 'round these parts, but a story I just saw there might earn them just a bit of redemption.

They ran a story recently about a critic's rant about the sameness of Country Music.

I like country music. I even like some of what the critic above is talking about. I linked to the YouTube video below in case you refuse to go to the Fox site out of principle.

Driving your pick-up truck down a dirt road under the moonlight to pick up your girl who wears tight jeans, and then getting drunk on a river bank.

That's what Entertainment Weekly's country critic Grady Smith said mainstream country acts sing about these days. And he cut a hilarious, and illuminating, YouTube video to prove it.

But he's right. The music genre is stuck in about as deep a rut as I've ever seen. It tends to sound alike as it is. But 2013 was a particularly unsatisfying year in country music, with a few exceptions. I'd probably add two or three acts to the list Grady Smith has at this link. But I basically agree with him.

Keith Urban cut some patriotic stuff that I like. The Band Perry had some awesome attitude. Tim Mcgraw still cuts a hot album, although I recall he gives in to this rut now and again.

I'm hoping for a revival in 2014. Especially if American Idol runner up Kree Harrison releases an album. But, basically, I'm going to forget country music existed in 2013.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I read this article yesterday. I've been a fan of country music for a long time, but I don't know any of the songs on his list. Honestly, I haven't been listening to country as much, and this is probably part of the reason.

I love Lady Antebellum, but their latest album isn't as good as their previous couple. I like The Band Perry. You know...I can't really think of a recent country song that I just had to have. The latest one I downloaded was Tim McGraw's Highway Don't Care.

Other than that, it's been NPR or older rock or my older country...some pop and singer-songwriter stuff.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Nashville Network is broadcasting in our area, and I pass over their music video shows now and again.

It's white toast and marmalade. Tasty and savory now and again. Tiresome when it's all you eat.