Blogging or newspaper article?

Chris_tine

Writer & Marketer in the making
Registered
Reaction score
Since I started my qualification in Marketing I have been debating myself whether to start a Blogg or try to collaborate with a monthly local newspaper in order to strengthen my writing skills. For both options I am considering writing short articles about non-profit volunteering associations from my home town because from January I will be collaborating with one as a Community Manager and languages teacher. I am very excited as this will give me first hand experience in the field.

I would like to know your opinion in regards of Blogging compared to paper media and if there is a way to combine them without copying the same articles. I am new to both and definitely would appreciate advice from more experienced people, especially if there are any Marketing professionals around! All suggestions and ideas from non-marketers are welcomed anyway. :)

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
I'm a digital marketer/strategist and freelance writer.

My suggestion would be not to practise writing on a publication. A blog is a good place to start, if you're still honing your skills. Also, a regular gig with a newspaper is not easy to come by, if you're an unproven writer, so you may not have a choie.

I've been blogging for fifteen years, and when I started pitching features, I used my blog to demonstrate my writing ability. It also gives me opportunity to flex my writing muscle when I don't have anything newsworthy to say.

Do both, I reckon :) Start with a blog, practise there, then pitch your best work to the paper or other publications. Good luck!