State Craft - Olympics style.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Link

In what will be viewed largely as a response to Russia's discriminatory anti-gay laws, President Barack Obama has selected former tennis great Billie Jean King and former hockey player Caitlin Cahow, who are both lesbian, as part of the delegation to represent the White House at the Sochi Olympics in 2014.

Rhetoric is not required to make a statement.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I'm not insanely familiar with Russia, or with international law in general, but I have to wonder if it's safe to flaunt their laws like this. Can they be detained by Russian authorities? (Well, it would create an international shit-storm, but seriously. It would be a good chance for Russia to show how serious they are about their law).

I get what they're trying to do. I still think the safer answer would be a boycott, if there's any chance all of them being detained/harmed.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
No, this is way better than a boycott. A boycott mainly hurts the innocent. This is flipping the bird directly in Putin's face. There is no way Putin will do anything to Billie Jean King.

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
Yessssss! A big ol' double-bird for our friendly neighborhood crazy Russian homophobic maniac! :D

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Clintl and PlotD have said it all. This quietly barbed response to Putin's Russia is very well played. Would that Obama had done even close to as well with the Health Care roll-out.

caw

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
This is brilliant. I kind of hope Russia tries to start something, so the international community can slap them down for this bullshit. (And I say that while also realizing that could be dangerous for these ladies and others like them. In my little utopian imagination, there's an international incident, but nobody actually gets hurt.)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
It's a strong, compassionate move and shows the Russian law for the vile unhumanitarian rubbish it is.

Ms. King and Ms. Cahow are brave women.

President Obama will not be attending the Russian Olympics. No major US political figure is, nor any from France or Germany.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25392175

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a great move. I kinda want to snicker and go, "Way to troll Putin. Hur hur."

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Jesse Owens, sure,but also Mexico '68. Which King references in Christine Brennan's USAToday story.

King talked about the general hesitancy U.S. athletes expressed regarding the law.

"Sometimes I think we need a John Carlos moment," she said on Sept. 25, referring to the U.S. track star who was expelled from the 1968 Mexico City Olympics along with American sprinter Tommie Smith for protesting racial discrimination.

"I think there's watershed moments, benchmarks. I would hope the majority of the athletes would speak out. It's a great platform."

Then she sighed. "I wish I was 21 again and in the Olympics."

Now she is, just in a different way.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Vladimir Putin has just very extravagantly, and many say cynically, given amnesty to recipients of some of the worst miscarriages of injustice he personally and Russia have doled out in the last decade or so, including Mikhail Khodorovsky, band members of Pussy Riot, and Greenpeace protesters.

It is widely felt that this is a mere ploy to give a false appearance of caring about justice, particularly since the most prominent pardonees had served almost their entire sentences already anyway.

Newly freed Pussy Riot member Nadezhda Tolokonnikova has joined the call for an international boycott of the Sochi, Russia Olympics.