The Bragatorium

yanallefish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
howewriter2000.4t.com
Thanks, Pthom!

Sigh, Shweta, I keep submitting to Goblin Fruit but no luck yet... glad for you guys though! ((HUG)) And I second the love for Realms of Fantasy. Sheesh, I could dream of that place but I dunno, I have no faith in myself sometimes. I am in awe of those who do get into it, because there's some wonderful writing there. (Yes, that includes you, Sharon Rose:))

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Keep up the great work, yanallafish!

:)

-Michelle

RTH

Call me Ishmael
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a long, rejection-laden road, but there may be some light at the end of the tunnel (in which the road runs, I guess :))! I'm not sure, because I have to squint and it's still all fuzzy, but....

I have an editor at a relatively major house asking for my full, after 2 stages of weeding-out! I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but that's definitely the biggest boost I've ever had. It'll at least leave me feeling warm & fuzzy all day. Not worth a dancing banana yet, but maybe one of these: :Jump:

Keep the faith,
RTH

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhhh, sending lots of happy shiny in your direction, RTH!

-Michelle

Aeryion

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rubiconharvest.com
Proof that persistence and belief in your words pays off!!

First of all, good luck to all of the warriors fighting the "guardians at the gates". I waged an assault on the walls of publishing for a year-and-a-half before realizing my dream. I sent over 100 queries (both real and electronic) to agents and publishers alike. I thought that I might be arrested for harassment I was so persistent. As you can imagine, most of the rejections were cold and impersonal--and even a few that were so obviously meant for other books (one said that they loved the story so much that they already had three just like it in their print queue. If it weren't for those others, my story would be right at the front of the line, but three novels about clairvoyant adolescent dragon-slayers was plenty for a single year of publishing. My story is a high tech sci/fi thriller about stem cells!) This was from one of the Top Three pub. houses...

Yeah. I know.

Any-who, I kept at it, polishing here and cutting there until one afternoon out of the blue a simple e-mail turned it around. By this time I had accepted the reality that I was never going to be published and was completely okay with that. After all, I had a good day job, a career I love and writing was more of a hobby. Right? I knew I wasn't going to get rich off it (hell, I have yet to break even--what with the $1500.00 I paid a "professional editor" to work the original draft for me, the cost of ink cartridges, paper, postage... you know the deal.) The problem was that anyone I gave the story to to read told me that it was "great" "wonderful" and that I should really submit it somewhere... Arggh! Those well wishing do-gooders cursed me!

But... I also knew in my own heart (and the burning soul of the reader in me) That I truly had a GOOD story. So, I kept at it; hammering at the walls of the Kingdom.

The e-mail that changed it for me was an acceptance of the story and a promise to tranform my manuscript into a real, honest-to-goodness BOOK! I sat on it for a week, researching the company, doing my homework. I accepted their proposal and have since ressurected my writing career. I even dragged an old MS out of the college ring-binder and reworked it into MS #2.

Am I happy? Absolutely. Lucky? Perhaps.

The point is that I didn't give up. Rejection only has power over the uncertain. It motivates the bold.

My pre-publish story is typical, I'm sure: The struggle arduous and the learning curve ever steep. But the ending, the climax is so worth it. To see your words in print for anyone to pick up and share. If only for that feeling of seeing your name on the spine of book sitting on a table at your local gym and walking up to that person and saying;
"Hey, I see your reading such-and-such. What do you think?" And they say,
"You know, it's pretty good." And they have no idea who you are...

That's coolness of a whole different flavor!!

So, don't toss in the towel yet. There's always room for new voices, you just need to make yours more unique than the next...

Time to brag:

My debut novel, Rubicon Harvest, was released last Oct. through Wings Press and is available in both electronic and trade paperback POD. I encourage all authors serious about being published to consider this option. I have had a wonderful experience. The quality of the product is exceptional and thus far the business practices of the publisher have been perfectly professional. I'm not touting one particular publisher, there are a few reputable ones out there that will offer your book in both e-format and trade POD, Wings is only one of them. Do your homework.

Also, consider creating a buzz through websites. I made one before I was even accepted. What can it hurt to advertise a story, post some excerpts, generate some discussion. The webpage alone has helped generate sales and discussions of the book. I receive nearly 100 legitimate hits a month and of those a few sales emerge.

Just some thoughts and suggestions that worked for me. I hope I've inspired or at least helped cheer some of you on... I know the frustration can be stifling, but if you truly want see your work published--keep at it. Sites and forums like AW are the best for strengthening and supporting each other as we continue to be heard--I mean READ!

Cheers!

Rubicon Harvest. "Where the evolution of consciousness meets technology and the hubris of Man; there's no turning back."

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Aeryion and glutton! Keep up the good work!

-Michelle

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nasty is good. Congrats Eye!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Blame my friend Marion, who is my usual first reader these days. She read an early version and told me it wasn't nasty enough. (She's a crime writer herself, so I believe her.) So it's all her fault!

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, great sale, eyeblink! And yeah, bring on the nasty!

Hmm, somehow, I feel as if that didn't come out the way I intended...

-Michelle

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Congratulations, eyeblink, glutton, and Aeryion! Good to hear good news :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Rose! :)

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go, Rose! Can't wait to read the story when it comes out.

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray, Rose! That is a very GUD sale!

(yes, I indeed went with the pun you all wanted to say--bwahahahaha!)

-Michelle

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
New story out at Silver Blade about a warrior who comes back from the dead, only to bring with her a hellish new threat to her friends. With a touch of the east and of brimstone... I also think the background graphic (although it's not specifically for my story) looks pretty damn awesome, no? Enjoy, if you can keep your eyes from straying to the art too much!

http://www.silverblade.net/shortstories6.html

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, glutton!

-Michelle