Status
Not open for further replies.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Not sure if you want to change your label to better market you work, or if just interested in other opinions. But here's my five cents. :)

Thriller - Short rare bursts of violence/action or dark topics.

Suspense - Prolonged dark topics and mood but with very little violence outside the climax.

Horror - Plenty of in-depth violence, dark topics and even supernatural themes.

When mixed with sci-fi Alien comes a bit to mind, but also The Riddick series (Novel: Pitch Black): is for example called: "A fantastic futuristic thriller of a deadly new frontier."

Maybe Sci-fi Suspense would free you from the horror label?

My own work has little in depth violence, contains mainly supernatural or creature feature themes and is more along the lines of what you class as suspense. But I'm definitely a horror writer, not a suspense writer.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm unsure how level of violence plays into it. I've had a recent spate of writing, for want of a better term, 'ghost stories' or 'old style' horror where the primary emotion is dread, rather than terror and the gore level is pretty low. I've been aiming at a similar feeling of gothic darkness to that achieved by Susan Hill but it leaves me wondering whether they really count as horror.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Violence doesn't define a piece as horror, nor does it define the genre itself. Horror is defined, in my own personal opinion, by its ultimate goal, which is to scare the reader. That can be done without blood and gore, for the same reason that it can be done without anything supernatural. As long as the piece (no matter the subject matter, length, antagonist, or sub-genre) frightens, disturbs, or horrifies the reader, it is horror.

Just my two cents :)

Riana M

Green Horn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fealasy.com
My own work has little in depth violence, contains mainly supernatural or creature feature themes and is more along the lines of what you class as suspense. But I'm definitely a horror writer, not a suspense writer.

I am very sure you can write horror with almost no violence, I just laid out the stereo types, which we often see in movies and pop culture.
And you are defiantly right; the supernatural/creature feature aspects seem to drive the horror genre.

My reason for adding violence and gory images to the category is only because it often happens to go hand in hand with horror. And because the OP mentioned that he had very little violence in his story and therefore didn't find it to be a horror.

Stephen King is your typical horror writer, but when he ventures into stories such as Misery or Dolores Claiborne they get labeled as: Psychological Thrillers.

While Saw and Chainsaw Massacre is rated: Horror

Which is strange, considered that Misery and Saw should be in the same category? (Violent nut chase brutally abuses victim till escape is possible.)

If Misery had been even more explicit with it's violence, it might also had gotten the horror rating?

Only guessing. :)

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
I am very sure you can write horror with almost no violence, I just laid out the stereo types, which we often see in movies and pop culture.
And you are defiantly right; the supernatural/creature feature aspects seem to drive the horror genre.
Just to note: unless the OP has written a screenplay, I wouldn't depend on figuring out the literary genre by looking at movie genre labels. That goes double for the horror genre. Movie horror and literary horror can be two very different creatures.

baileycakes14

Registered
Reaction score
Just to note: unless the OP has written a screenplay, I wouldn't depend on figuring out the literary genre by looking at movie genre labels. That goes double for the horror genre. Movie horror and literary horror can be two very different creatures.

I totally agree. Gore and violence (the typical signs of horror) in movies doesn't scare me, so gore and violence in books sort of makes me roll my eyes.

I'm afraid I won't be much help in this thread (other than agreeing with the above poster) but I don't know what makes horror, horror. I just know it when I see it, which seems like the OP's issue. It sounds like it wasn't meant to be horror, but someone viewed it that way.

Conte Remo

Registered
Reaction score
I think a lot of times, horror is a matter of opinion. Same with comedy, as some movies listed as comedy don't make me laugh, and some comedians don't make me laugh or feel humor either.

I believe a horror novel is, in large part, creepy, unsettling, and/or causes a feeling of intense dread. It could be psychological and nerve-racking, or it could be outright violent. Of course, for every horror novel there will most likely be people who don't think it's scary at all.

oakbark

Registered
Reaction score
Even though it might lack blood-fountains, if your story / characters / twists sing of Evil (meaning harm for no particular/understandable or conquerable reason) that would probably make me tag it as horror.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I guess to me, apart from tone, suspense is proactive, where horror is reactive. Horror relies on the bad guy starting with the upper hand and the hero/ine struggling to survive. Suspense has the hero/ine starting on equal footing with the villain and then working to discover the villain. That's why Alien is horror and Silence of the Lambs is thriller/suspense.

JMHO, of course... :Shrug:

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
Horror relies on the bad guy starting with the upper hand and the hero/ine struggling to survive. Suspense has the hero/ine starting on equal footing with the villain and then working to discover the villain.

That's a big part of it. Another aspect is that in suspense/thriller you expect the hero to survive and even triumph. In horror, it's much more in doubt.

E.Murray

Queries suck.
Registered
Reaction score
The ur-text of American horror (IMHO) is Jonathan Edwards' Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God.

I had never thought of it that way, but that would fulfill the horror requirements perfectly. It is meant to terrify and accomplished the mission in a way we still understand over a century later. So if, as you say in the earlier post, horror is defined by the audience's reaction Sinners would be the quintessential horror story.

And I can see, after all this discussion, where one might get the "horror" label from my story. But it's still only horror if you squint just right, so I'm not switching genres. I'll hit the agents first that are looking for sci-fi and horror and hope for the best. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.