• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Hallowed Ink Press

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
Came across Hallowed Ink Press via Twitter yesterday. They appear to focus on Young Adult & New Adult.

I'm not familiar with any of the folks running the show but I see no relevant experience (beyond being an author/ blogger) with any well known publishers.

Link to Our Books leads to a coming soon placeholder. The authors page link there leads to a 404 not found.

They do have an FAQ page.

Covered topics there include royalties:

We have a 50/50 split between author and publisher. For all anthologies the author 50% is split between the contributors unless they would prefer to opt out in favor of a charity of their choice.

And Print:

We will have print and digital available for each of our novels. As time goes on we hope to also make e-book cards, hardcover and iBooks available.

Note--Didn't see this company listed in the index or via search. (mods--delete as needed)

JE9Lizle

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone recently heard anything about this publisher?

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Revamped website and they appear to have three titles now--one already out and two others coming out this year. Very nice covers, but yeah... They're... sooo new....:Shrug:

alyssabcole

Registered
Reaction score
I was considering submitting to them out of curiosity, because I've yet to publish anything and I thought it might be nice to at least check out the contract if by some miracle I'm offered one. However, while Hallowed Ink seems tempting, new or not, it appears that they're an imprint of Bokheim Publishing. I may have just missed it, but I can't seem to find any evidence of previously published books by this company on their website, which is a mite disconcerning. I did just find their blog, which hasn't been updated since 2010, which shows they have published books before. I don't know, it just seems a little fishy to me, although I'm pretty new to this whole thing.

Despite its affiliations, could an imprint be more reliable than its parent company?

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps one of our lovely mods would like to merge Hallowed Ink and Bokheim?

From the Bokheim website:

WHO ARE WE?

Founded in 2006, Bokheim Publishing began as a group of industry editors and authors who realized that the world of publishing needed to change. With advances in the internet, Bokheim makes it a priority to assist new authors who dream of taking their manuscripts to a new level. Although we are a small publishing house, our commitment and desire for better literature is shown in every page we give to the world.
WE BELIEVE IN HIGH QUALITY LITERATURE
http://www.bokheim.com/about

They don't believe in actually mentioning their books on the website; a link to their "partner storefront" led to a non-existent CreateSpace page. A search on Amazon turned up a few books, all by Micheal Loring and Emma Michaels. One of them received the following review:

Disclaimer about Review Content: I received a review copy via Smashwords on Feb 1st 2013. I note the date because the copy I reviewed is a hot mess. The editing is atrocious. There are missing words, misused words, clichéd phrasing, strange wording (like "every so while" instead of "every so often"), and extreme passive voice. At times it reads like it was written or edited by a non-native English speaker! I contacted the tour company I received the book from and they indicated that the publisher was hiring a new editor and putting out a revised edition of the book. In light of their acknowledgement and plan to fix the errors, I've based my review on the story alone and not let the wordsmithing effect it. However, it's important to note that the book as it stands is not ready for publication. If someone lets me know about when the final editing is complete and the new edition uploaded, I'll remove this part of my review and update my star rating. The below review are written as if this were an ARC and the expectation is that more editing will be completed.

I'd be very cautious about Bokheim and Hallowed Ink.

alyssabcole

Registered
Reaction score
I just read the excerpt for Hallowed Ink's first book, "Contact," and while I kind of skimmed, I don't recall seeing anything that struck me as too awkward or as a typo, for what it's worth. The story seems intriguing, so much so that I'm actually considering buying it. Also, I was surprised to see that Margaret Peterson Haddix, whom I enjoyed as a kid, reviewed the book and liked it. I'm certainly not dismissing any concerns for the company, but it seems like it's not all bad news.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I submitted a long time ago and never heard back. There wasn't much info on them either. Definitely not surprising to see them close.