Stock Images/Creative Commons Licenses for History Non Fiction

eddmo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a history blogger and a publisher has asked me to put together a proposal for a non-fiction book, which is exciting. :)

My topic is quite visual, about visiting historic places, and lends itself to contemporary images of castles/palaces/old houses, etc, in addition to primary sources.

On my blog I presently use commercially licensed Creative Commons images (at no charge). I have also paid for standard license stock images in the past.

The publisher expects me to source imagery and would like examples in the proposal.

1. Does anyone have any experience of using stock photos in their non-fiction work? I'm assuming that a standard license would be all that's required, as this covers print runs up to 500,000 (I don't think I'll be getting there any time soon!). However, does anyone know differently?

2. Does anyone have any experience of using Creative Commons licensed imagery in print?

Thank you

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
1, Yes you are correct, you just need to obtain the correctly licensed image depending on the media within which it will be used.

2, I have found that when using CC images, I had the best results when contacting the owner of the image. On one occasion the photographer had several other unpublished images from slightly different angles that worked better for me. He was more than happy to help and only required attribution for his work.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Check exactly what kind of Creative Commons license is attached to each image. They don't all allow commercial use, and some have share-alike clauses.

Be sure what you're getting in to re: photo licenses. It can get expensive pretty quickly. You source, but who pays?

Deleted member 42

Keep in mind as well that you need higher resolution images for print. Your publisher should be able to tell you what dpi; nothing under 300, for sure.

Also not only the print run but the country affects licensing.