Hola, todos.

luekasloki

Registered
Reaction score
Never fear, my post isn't going to be in Spanish, although I wouldn't mind.

Being new to the forums, I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself.

My name's Luekas, and I'm currently surviving my first year as a young high school Spanish teacher in a very small, very poor town in Illinois. Despite how that sounds, it's an absolute blast. The students are incredibly fun to work with, and (little do they know) they inspire me everyday with their quirky personalities and dramatic reactions to whatever life throws at them, which is perfect considering I love to read and write young adult work (especially fantasy and science fiction).

Writing and I have a slow-going relationship. I thought I absolutely hated it in high school, had a professor who showed my I actually loved it my freshman year of college, and I began writing my first story that next summer. College was my main focus, so I'm just now in the query stage after four long years of writing, beta-readers, editing, and pain-staking revising.

I have to say, I'm really apprehensive to share my baby and leave it open for critique, but I think it's a crucial step if I'm going to move forward with my writing.

Please, if you have any "must sees" on this forum that have helped you immensely in your writing, point me in that direction.

Thanks,
Sr. Luekas

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

:welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

If you're interested in receiving a critique of your work, there is a 50-post rule. Here's a link to some of the most commonly asked questions in the FAQs. Wondering what those interesting acronyms used around the forum mean? Find out in the Absolute Write Dictionary.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide.

Enjoy your stay. :)

BMajor

Probably judging you.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to AW! :D

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Taking that first step and getting critique can be hard. But most people are pretty good about the way they give critique. And if someone's mean, you can always just ignore them.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
¡Bienvenidos, Sr. Luekas!

If you get a hankerin' for some chatting in Spanish, you're always welcome to checkout the International Forums. There's some nice folks over there!

To expand on Reg's reminders about the 50 post requirement for Share Your Work, this is only to post your own work. Your welcome and encouraged
to meet this requirement, in part, by providing critiques of others' works. You're a teacher, so you know how helpful studying what other people have done can be.

Also, each genre forum has a social thread. That's a great way to get a feel for other AWers.

Hope you have fun and learn a lot!

P.S. Searching for info on the forums? May I recommend Google - type in AbsoluteWrite.com: topic

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
:hi: Luekas. Weclome to AW. Love that you take inspiration from your students. ;)