The Witcher 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JalexM

Registered
Reaction score
I might lose a month out of my year when this comes out.
Sadly I only have a ps4 and i'm not a pc master race anymore.

Last edited:

mbuhmann

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marcbuhmann.com
I have this installed on my PC right now taunting me thanks to the pre-install for launch. The first two games were so good, and this looks to be a fantastic finale to the series. I just hope it doesn't follow the trend of the first two games with game stopping bugs on launch day.

The thing that sucks is that the third episode of Life is Strange comes out the same day. If you like the Telltale Adventure style of game this is a good one.

(It's going to be tough to balance work, family, writing, and games in the month of June.)

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I have waited soooo long for this game. Can't wait until it's released. I really hope it's a humongous smash hit, but I'm afraid new players will come to it expecting Skyrim or Dragon Age - something which the Witcher series is definitely not.

I wonder if people will be put off by the 'attitude' of the game. I mean, in Witcher-games Geralt is not a hero out to save the world, but merely to navigate through a world where life is dirt-cheap, everyone's taking moral short-cuts or worse, and the point, I suppose, is to arrive at the end without having made too many moral compromises. Or something.

Last edited:

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, if Witcher 3 is anything like Witcher 2, the gamer will know pretty quickly this ain't no Skyrim or Dragon Age. :p

That is true. I just don't want to hear any complaints after people pay $60 for it that it's not Skyrim. Or for that matter see reports in the media like we had after GTA 5 that it is ruining children. Witcher is not for children. :greenie:

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Received today. During downloading the 'time remaining' went up and up- I cancelled at over 240 minutes remaining! I'll try again when you guys in America have gone to sleep. I assume you will go to sleep at some point!! :flag:

mbuhmann

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marcbuhmann.com
Received today. During downloading the 'time remaining' went up and up- I cancelled at over 240 minutes remaining! I'll try again when you guys in America have gone to sleep. I assume you will go to sleep at some point!! :flag:

I was lucky to have it pre-installed a week ago but last night, before it was released, I checked on whether or not it was playable and saw there was a required 300MB patch. So it's all installed and ready to go but, unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to get to it until Thurs. Blah.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It is absolutely brilliant, so far. I love it to bits. I won't give any spoilers, but there's one sidequest which is so bitter sweet. So bloody typical CDProject Red. Not something you'd normally see in a AAA game like Skyrim or Dragon Age. Every side-quest is so well told that I'm scooping up every one I find. Though, one should keep in mind to keep an eye on the level. I made the mistake of doing a level 11 quest at level 2...

And... it's a beautiful game! Beautiful!

Last edited:

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I am a few tens of hours in. This has been one of those games where you on the one hand don't want to believe the hype, and on the other you hope that a dev group which has earned its trust over the years will actually, to use a sports metaphor, hit a home run out of the park.

There are glitches. I've had a horse get stuck in a stable roof. I've had funny endless loop characters running half inside of walls. I've had frame-rate drops, and a couple of hard crashes. But it doesn't matter. Because the game is so good that you don't want to feel ill will toward the developers. Really.

I've always liked CD Project Red. They've always gone against the grain. For instance, just by trying to push a dense and complicated Slavic-based fantasy world onto a world accustomed to low-calorie minimum-impact risk-free content for adolescent boys. Like, when you set a game like Skyrim or Dragon Age Inquisition next to this, it feels like those other games are like cotton candy next to a hearty meal.

Sometimes you don't know what you've missed until you get it. Sometimes you don't know that you'll have an unforgettable meal until you've already eaten it. Sometimes you'll walk into a dingy diner in the middle of nowhere and have the best evening in a decade.

Hyperbole? Perhaps. I don't know. There are glitches. There are issues. There are annoying details. But for the first time I've ever played a computer game, I know I've been to a world, and not to a pretty looking set that's there for the Hero to play his act of tragedy or drama. It is a world; feels like a world, and it feels like it's a world with people. That kind of forgives all the other technical stuff that's bound to crop up in a huge thing like this one.

I'm not sure it is for everyone. I won't pretend that it's for everyone. I just know that this one is for me, and I'll expect to explore every inch of this world. God damn, this is an awesome game.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on waiting for the Witcher 2 style uber patch that fixes everything and adds in loads of content because CDPR are fucking gods among men.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Update. Should have been more patient. Only took around an hour and a bit to fully download. So far, thoroughly enjoying it.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
So far, having fun despite some frustrations, like quest objectives not being clear. I've also had quite a few bugs and even a couple game crashes too. Anyone else having those problems?

mbuhmann

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marcbuhmann.com
So far, having fun despite some frustrations, like quest objectives not being clear. I've also had quite a few bugs and even a couple game crashes too. Anyone else having those problems?

The biggest issue I've had, and this is on the PC, is that movement is delayed when using a keyboard. There's maybe a 1-sec delay, but it sucks when in combat.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I'm on the PS4, but playing the download version as opposed to disc. Last night the camera got stuck in Geralt's head and I couldn't talk, fight or do anything else until I restarted the game. Then I found an invulnerable harpy. Seriously, it wouldn't register any damage no matter how much I hit it.

mbuhmann

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marcbuhmann.com
There have been some fun glitches I've seen posted online. It wouldn't be a Witcher game without bugs out of the gate! :) (As an aside, this game is fantastic. So rich and detailed with great characters.)

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I'm watching my fiance play this and he's addicted to Gwent. He's ignored most of the quest objectives right now to play people to get rare cards so that he can build his deck.

Yes he is loving it and the game is beautiful.
Yes there are a few bugs but he's not complaining

He's playing Gwent

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
41 hours in!

Something I've noticed, and I think not enough people have talked about.

They finally reached the point, graphically, where they actually make Geralt legitimately...very attractive. I can actually see the combination of being STD free and sterile and his good looks getting him lots of women.

...I'd sleep with him is what I'm saying.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
41 hours in!

Something I've noticed, and I think not enough people have talked about.

They finally reached the point, graphically, where they actually make Geralt legitimately...very attractive. I can actually see the combination of being STD free and sterile and his good looks getting him lots of women.

...I'd sleep with him is what I'm saying.

Lol. I haven't played the Witcher games since the first one (which I couldn't finish, because there was this place it always crashed). Is it available for PC?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You need a good machine, but yes it is available for the PC, and as someone who has played RPGs on the PC since the 90's it is stunning to play and in my humble opinion ranks right up there with the very best.

Be patient - and as the story and characters unfold and your abilities grow, it just gets more and more absorbing.

The scenery detail in particular, including a full range of eye-watering weather, cities and villages, plus the involvement in the day-to-day lives of the folk who populate the vast regions involved, is breath-taking.

I have happily spent long periods just riding and exploring without killing a soul. The freedom of movement is incredible. I've also enjoyed being the type of hero I choose to play although the decisions are sometimes hard to make - and characters you meet later on will remember if you helped them earlier.

Combat is how you choose to make it once you slowly get a grip on everything. The inventory items are numerically immense but once you've settled in and decided how you wish to play it becomes easier to handle. Patience is needed and will be rewarded.

Lol. I haven't played the Witcher games since the first one (which I couldn't finish, because there was this place it always crashed). Is it available for PC?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do let us know how you get on. I am at level 23 now but like you, I started at zero and worked my way up. And I never played Witcher 1 or 2.

Don't hesitate to PM me if there's anything you want clarified, although there's a huge amount in Google if you get stuck or want to learn stuff.

Enjoy. I have a Dual Raedon R9280X Graphics card and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with 8Gb of RAM and an i5-4670 CPU @3.4Ghz. Put the PC together myself over 18 months ago and it's great.

Allright, that's it. I'm buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.