• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Readers wanted for Mystery / Contemporary Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

levihrr

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Reader,

In (a bit over) 50,000 words, I plan to write a fast-paced page-turning mystery/thriller. Set in late 19th century Paris, this novel tells the story of fifteen-year-old Bevis Hill, the new apprentice of the famous detective Mr D, as he must decide whether saving a girl from misery is more important than discovering the truth, and ultimately getting revenge on the ones who murdered his mother.

I am currently writing chapter eleven (out of about twenty-two). Once halfway, I will go back and edit... and send it out to anyone who is interesting in beta-reading my novel. I will then do the same for the second half.

Thank you!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Levi, welcome to you. We're glad you've joined us and hope you will take the time to read the many FAQs and stickies which apply to your situation as a writer seeking feedback.

First up, a beta reader is a reader for polished work the author believes is ready to submit, rather than an incomplete first draft. I think what you're after is someone who will critique.

Which brings me to the question: Who's likely to do that for someone who's just arrived and immediately seeks a huge hunk of time and effort? There are some selfless people here, but I bet you'd get better feedback if you didn't limit your options to those members.

So I urge you to get familiar with the place. Read the FAQs and stickies about your genre and about getting criticism. Spend some time interacting with others. Give some critique at the SYW (share your work) boards of any genres you read. Become a part of the AW community.

Before I forget, you'd be wise to edit your second post to get rid of the email. Spambots cruise websites 24/7, and they'll "harvest" this email and suddenly you'll be avalanched with spam. Even if someone does contact you with an offer to read, you may never find it among the junk.

Again, welcome to you.

Maryn, directing you here

Status
Not open for further replies.