• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Loiacono Literary Agency (Jeanie Loiacono)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Didn't see a thread for this one. Just posting the link to get it started. I am not affiliated with this agency or agent.

I'm a little confused by the "available for publication" tag at the end of some of the MS titles. I confess I've never seen that before. If a certain work is out on submission, what's the point of putting that tag next to the author's photo before the book sells?

SportsScribe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
I read the submission guidelines and I am confused. Do we send the query letter, synopsis and full manuscript and in one shot? Because in all of the format instructions they laid out I am not seeing actual guidelines on what to submit. Or am I missing something here?

SportsScribe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Never mind. Its been a long day. I just went back for a second look and found it. They do want a query, synopsis and full manuscript.

This is what happens when you work for 16 hours straight and then try to use your brain for anything other than shoulder ballast.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Ms. Loiacono's bio doesn't mention any professional publishing experience or agenting training. There seem to be a couple of solid sales, to Thomas Nelson and Taylor Trade, but all the agency's other book placements are with small presses that authors can approach on their own (including two that I know for a fact have bad contracts--Zharmae Publishing Press and Front Porch Romance--and Ecanus, which has a self-pub division).

Not impressed.

- Victoria

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
She had been an agent at Sullivan Maxx. I have a friend who is a client of hers and has had two books published within the last year, though as pointed out, it's with a smaller publisher. I have not asked recently how satisfied she is with her representation.

SunshineRose

Registered
Reaction score
As one of several former unhappy clients with this agency, I encourage serious writers to look elsewhere for representation. This agency deals primarily with small presses of questionable quality, ethics, and abilities. My experience has been one of broken trust, disrespect of my needs and concerns, and a lack of satisfactory communication. Ms. Loiacano has had no formal training as an agent, and it shows. Her abrasive personality has alienated editors and publishers, leaving unsuspecting clients to pick up the pieces.

PeggyAnn

Registered
Reaction score
I deleted my original comment. I won't go into all the reasons here. If anyone wants to know why, I'll discuss it off line with you, but I left the agency as a writer a few months ago.

Last edited:

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Any agent should be able to place books with the Big 5 because they should have contacts there. Most small, boutique agencies I found in my research are formed by agents who broke off from larger agencies. Giving an agent a chance when they can't land deals with the Big 5 is not doing yourself or your novel any favors.

All of that is general advice, as I have nothing specific, either good or bad, to say about this agency.

PeggyAnn

Registered
Reaction score
You're right. Agents are supposed to open doors we cannot open for ourselves. I eventually published with a small, but well respected, Canadian publisher...and I found them on my own, sans agent.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Hi guys,

Heads up. This just came through on my RWA loop. It's 3rd hand information, but I thought it was worth posting as a warning. If you're considering submitting to this agency, double check with them to make sure they are not doing this:

I was just talking to someone who used to be represented by Jeanie Loiacono at the Loiacono Agency. She tells me that this agent (and I assume the others at the agency) are attempting to charge clients for submitting their work to publishers--every submission will cost the author money. She is also attempting to charge existing clients for submitting new work to her for representation. I don't know about potential new clients but I'm sure it's the same.

SunshineRose

Registered
Reaction score
The following is a direct quote from a mass email sent out by Ms. Loiacono to clients and former clients. Let authors beware!

"In the new contract, for any new Work(s) there will be an administrative fee of five hundred dollars ($500.00), made payable to the Agency upon signing. This is a one-time fee, unless the Work(s) do not contract with a publisher and require renewing after one year. Renewals are two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00) per year. Upon publication of the Work(s), only the LLA 15% shall apply."

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Some of the choicest quotes from her comment:

It is not a right nor freedom of speech to destroy property, hurt innocent people, or be rude and disrespectful to President Trump.

I do not think President Trump has the time to read some of the smut novels that are being published today. The man barely has time to sleep. As a literary agent, I see what is being accepted; immoral, hedonistic fodder.

...we must have a wall to the south and even north eventually, and those coming in this country must be checked thoroughly. If you are concerned with the veterinarian you use for your pet, the boy your daughter dates, the person who washes your car, the doctors who treat you, then you should be CONCERNED with the terrorists coming into this country; some of which may pose as your innocent neighbor. They do not have to have dark hair and eyes nor come from one of the five countries under scrutiny.

Unbelievable.

Marian, who has dark hair and eyes (and skin! the horror!)

Last edited:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Thanks for outing this fake agent. As a former agent myself, I detest these people who are trying to enrich themselves by exploiting writers. This is particularly egregious.

JLoiacono

Registered
Reaction score
Lydia,
Why would you start something that has nothing to do with you. You have never submitted to LLA nor do any of our agents know you. What is on the Loiacono Literary Agency site is accurate and truthful.
Jeanie Loiacono

Status
Not open for further replies.