Disagree with Editor Revisions?

papercuts

Registered
Reaction score
My novel manuscript has been on submission to publishers since September. I have spoken with a couple of editors on the phone and have received three R & Rs (one wanted an exclusive R & R), but no outright offers. None of the changes that these editors have suggested are resonating with me. They all seem to want to make the novel into a love story, and while there is a love story featured in the narrative, it is not the main focus, nor do I wish it to be. I’m finding this feedback both astonishing and disheartening (and am wondering if they would be asking me to beef up the love story if I were a male writer—probably not).

I’m interested in hearing your stories about being on sub and getting revision notes that don’t resonate with you. Did you decide to compromise, even though you didn’t agree with their suggestions? Did you decide not to pursue those R & Rs and hold out for an editor whose vision of the book matched yours, knowing that doing so meant risking never publishing that book?

I guess I’m trying to figure out if I’m being too inflexible, or if sticking to my guns is the best approach. I’m not averse to making changes, but I don’t want to change the book’s entire focus…

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Hmm. So it's interesting that three different editors have the same idea; although the way you talk about it, it sounds like they all are asking for a genre shift. I wouldn't, generally, want to ask someone to change the genre of the book. It seems a bit radical for an R&R. Also, it's odd that three editors have the same radical idea.

I can think of a few different scenarios that might fit these facts. The one that feels most likely is this: what they're asking for isn't actually a genre shift, but you are perceiving it that way. Perhaps they asked for a romance in the book to come through a bit more strongly, and you are struggling to see a way to do that without stealing focus from something else that feels more important. You feel it would tilt the balance of the book the wrong way.

I note you use terms like 'astonishing and disheartening'. I wouldn't be disheartened at three R&Rs on a novel from three good publishers in a couple of months - that's closer to astonishing, but in a good way. You also mention 'an editor whose vision of the book matches yours'. The thing about a good editor is: a good editor is supposed to be able to see an even more perfect vision of the book than you can.

It might be that you are being too inflexible. It might be, on the other hand, that these just aren't the right publishers and editors for you. Without knowing the personalities and businesses and MS involved, it's impossible to tell.

There is an exercise you could try, though: try what they're asking you to do. You said they wanted you to 'make the novel into a love story', but I'd guess that's shorthand for a more involved conversation; so think back to the specifics and sketch in some of the changes in your head and on paper. See what you'd have to do to accommodate them. Change a couple of things. You can always revert to an earlier draft if you aren't happy with what comes out, and you have a free second shot with the same book at three different editors, which is not to be sneezed at.

papercuts

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Torgo. Thanks so much for your response. I think you hit on something that I didn’t mention in my original post, and that is this: the novel is being subbed as YA, but I didn’t write it as YA. I think what I’m experiencing is cognitive dissonance between what I want the novel to be and what YA editors expect YA novels to be (especially those with female protagonists).

The revision notes have been pretty vague, and because they don’t resonate with me I’ve been finding it hard to even know where or how to begin to address them. But maybe if I take some time to consider the ideas further, something will click.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the feedback.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I ask why you're subbing it as YA? Perhaps if you didn't write it as YA, it isn't actually YA at all.

papercuts

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, mccardey. Because my agent (and another agent who offered representation) says it's YA. The age of the characters (18/19) and the coming-of-age elements put it in that category. I didn't write the novel with teen readers in mind and I guess this is why I'm struggling to edit with them in mind.

It wasn't until I started submitting to agents that I realized the novel might be put in the YA category. This has happened to other authors. Both Ransom Riggs and Rainbow Rowell didn't set out to write YA and were surprised when their agents/publishers told them that they had.

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
If the editors have been vague, but you'd like to work with one, you could have your agent open up lines of communication and ask them for some details... or if you get some ideas, you (or your agent if you have one) can approach the editors with your suggestions to see if that may work for them. Editors seem unapproachable, but they're people too. I think the problem we face is that our manuscripts are our babies...but editors/publishers need to be able to market and sale them. Your story might be good, but maybe they don't see the sales numbers needed unless the romance is a larger part of the story (for their particular imprint).

R&Rs are a mixed blessing. Would we rather get an outright acceptance? Yep, but an R&R isn't an outright rejection, either. You still have your foot in the door.

I'm going through a similar situation on my manuscript. The R&R came from my "dream" publisher (but it's still out with some other big ones). The balance is finding the right tweaks without damaging the story. For me, I felt like it was worth a shot. I approached my manuscript from a clinical point of view...not an emotional attachment one.

Either way, good luck and congrats on the R&Rs! :)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Ah. I can understand the editor pressure, then -- romance is an expected element of the YA genre.

It's not an element I agree with, because I prefer romance-free YA, but when I wrote a low-on-the-romance YA fantasy my ex-agent requested a revision that focussed heavily on romance (among other changes). I did the revision but scrapped most of the work afterwards because it wasn't what I wanted that story to be.

I don't have any advice to offer, but I wish you the very best of luck.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, mccardey. Because my agent (and another agent who offered representation) says it's YA. The age of the characters (18/19) and the coming-of-age elements put it in that category. I didn't write the novel with teen readers in mind and I guess this is why I'm struggling to edit with them in mind.

It wasn't until I started submitting to agents that I realized the novel might be put in the YA category. This has happened to other authors. Both Ransom Riggs and Rainbow Rowell didn't set out to write YA and were surprised when their agents/publishers told them that they had.

Oh, I see. Have you had some time to think about the changes they're asking for? If you don't want to make them just for the sake of publication (I wouldn't) you might find that you can have a similar effect on the book by approaching it slowly and fairly organically.

Good luck with it, anyway. And congrats on the success so far.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They all seem to want to make the novel into a love story…

Listen to them. They do this for a living. If you'd also like to do this for a living, heed their advice.

On the other hand, if you tell them to take a hike it leaves more openings for me...

Jeff

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
There is one thing you could try. Submit it elsewhere with a name that isn't gender specific. For instance, if your name is Jane Anne Smith, submit it as J A Smith and see if the pubs come back with a request to beef up the love story. If they do, then you will know that it needs beefing up.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'd get into contact with the editors and ask them for their reasons for adding romance. If it's a "one-size-fits-all" type of deal to add romance into a YA story, I wouldn't do that. If they do have reasons, like they saw the potential of romance, then I'd think about adding it. Because, if your story just cannot have romance in it without ruining the major aspects of it, I'd think those editors are way off base. But, there could be something you're just not seeing, and they are.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My guess is they just think it will sell better as a love story.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. So it's interesting that three different editors have the same idea; although the way you talk about it, it sounds like they all are asking for a genre shift. I wouldn't, generally, want to ask someone to change the genre of the book. It seems a bit radical for an R&R. Also, it's odd that three editors have the same radical idea.

It isn't odd to me. They think if the OP beefs up the romance plot line that is already there, that the book will become easier to promote, and be more marketable.

papercuts

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. I talked to my agent about it and she thinks we should hang tight and see what other editors have to say. So the waiting continues...