Hi - I'm not one to dwell.

Sam J Shelley

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently joined. Was looking for a writing community and love the size of this forum. More folks, more insights. Awesome! I co-owned a VB site a few years ago and know the costs so I donated.

I was a disabled young man with severe life threatening health issues. Diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS), and bipolar disorder. I was taking 13 medications daily, and used a cane. I have no health issues today, no meds, and no cane.

I completed my first book based on my true life story of suffering, followed by a miraculous health recovery. It is in editing now, hopefully that we be done soon. Then I need to figure out the next steps.

“I Don’t Dwell” -- From incurable disease to miraculous recovery

My author page; https://www.facebook.com/idontdwell
My blog/website; http://www.samjshelley.com

On my site I have posted the sample chapter. I have written a handful of blogs to date on steps that I took to heal.

See you around and be well.
~Sam

patrickwong

Author, Computer Guy, Dad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Welcome!

Welcome Sam!
(I'm new to AW also)

You had me at "i don't dwell" -- stay strong. And may your story give hope to others.

bluediamond

The scribbled word is alive!
Registered
Reaction score
welcome!

welcome Sam
this a wonderful place, I just got here two week ago,
so I am newbie too. it's good to here from an accomplish writer.
again welcome, and hope to see you around the forum.
" new :e2fish:"

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I'm glad you no longer need medications. That truly does sound like a miracle.

MrSwen

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome,good luck finding a publisher!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

clarairene

Welcome to the inside of my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, what an amazing story you have!
I look forward to reading what you've written :)

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

:welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

For those interested in receiving a critique of your work, there is a 50-post rule. Here's a link to some of the most commonly asked questions in the FAQs. Wondering what those interesting acronyms used around the forum mean? Find out in the Absolute Write Dictionary.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Sam J Shelley

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of information here.

I recently became friends with someone that runs a small press and has interest in my book. I am unsure. It is traditional publishing -- no money from the author they cover all expenses to publish.

Would I be better off looking for a larger publisher? My thinking is that they would have a larger market and have better distribution. Or should I run with a small press. Since it appears to be all about my marketing and not the marketing of the publisher?

Thoughts?

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sam, my sister has MS, will keep an eye out for your book for her.

Rotes

Crazy Opossum Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Sam!
I have porphyria. I thought what I had was MS for a long time before I got an answer, so I do know the feeling to some degree. I living with things like this help build character and assist in writing. I admire that you wrote a book based on your experience. I know how terrifying EMGs, MRIs, and EEgs can be. Here's to hoping your remission is permanent!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Sam, Welcome! I have the bipolar disorder so I'd be very interested to read your book. Hope you find a good publisher.

Be sure to check this publisher's thread in the Bewares and Background Checks forum. You can do a search and it should pop up. You can also Google: Publisher's name+AbsoluteWrite to see if it's on the list. If not you can post a thread about them. There's always friendly members willing to examine the publisher with you.

Good Luck!

Sam J Shelley

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again for your support.

I did submit the book to a small indie publisher that seems to have a good recommendation from a few people here that have published books with them. Now, like everyone else play the waiting game.