• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publishing Services] WoolysWagon

Robin Wolstenholme

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting how discussions take on a life of their own. I'm sorry to hear so many authors are at a loss at the closure of lldreamspell. I am happy to speak with anyone looking to republish to help navigate the waters or perhaps offer a contract. I provide all services to publication with contract as well as paid author services through WoolysWagon ePublishing. www.woolyswagon.com I do not pay advances at this time and pay 50/50 royalty share. For more information visit my website or email me: [email protected] to discuss your needs. You can also follow me here: @woolyswagon on Twitter or www.facebook.com/WoolysWagon.ePublishing on Facebook.

I will be posting on various threads sharing my knowledge in the upcoming weeks.

Cheers,
Robin

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Robin.

Interesting how discussions take on a life of their own. I'm sorry to hear so many authors are at a loss at the closure of lldreamspell. I am happy to speak with anyone looking to republish to help navigate the waters or perhaps offer a contract.

AW has many members who step in to help writers in trouble.

Most of them, however, don't spam threads about other publishers in an attempt to benefit their own businesses.

I provide all services to publication with contract as well as paid author services through WoolysWagon ePublishing. www.woolyswagon.com I do not pay advances at this time and pay 50/50 royalty share. For more information visit my website or email me: [email protected] to discuss your needs. You can also follow me here: @woolyswagon on Twitter or www.facebook.com/WoolysWagon.ePublishing on Facebook.

Is that 50/50 share on net or cover price?

You publish books under contract, and you offer paid-for publishing services: are all books published under the WoolyWagon name under contract, or is there a mix of contracted and paid-for books there? If the latter, what proportion, roughly, is under contract?

I will be posting on various threads sharing my knowledge in the upcoming weeks.

Cheers,
Robin

You said something similar in your Newbie thread, which I'll quote in part here.

I am owner of WoolysWagon ePublishing, an author, editor, artist and publisher. I hope to be contributing to discussions to share my knowledge to dispel some incorrect notions regarding Author services and publishing in general.

I'll look forward to hearing more from you.

What experience do you have in publishing? What qualifies you to publish others?

WoolysWagon operates on the principle of all authors in our company helping one another based on the premise that increased traffic to the WoolysWagon site benefits everyone.

I note you publish across all genres. How does your requirement for mutual promotion work with the children's books and erotica you've published? Your crime fiction and self help? You publish in so many genres that there are several areas which clash: how do you ensure that this doesn't cause any problems?

WoolysWagon offers contracts. We do not charge for publishing through those contracts. We do however offer services for a reasonable below market fee if you want to self publish. These services run the entire range from editing, book layouts and formatting/conversion to book doctoring, covers and access to illustrators. Every service is quoted specifically to your needs though some basic ranges of fees are available on the website. Many quotes come in under those standard fees after the inquiry is assessed and workload calculated.

The covers on your website are not very attractive, I'm afraid. I took a look at half a dozen of your titles on Amazon and found editing errors in the first few pages of all of them, and problems with typsetting. This does not give me confidence in your services.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
From Robin's Newbie thread:

Collaboration with authors on design and covers is guaranteed. You do not lose control of your vision though often visions change when presented with alternatives. No books pass through our hands that we are not proud to put our name on....We don't just use your illustrator's artwork, we improve it. We don't just slap up a cover using your ideas, we design a cover to represent your work and create a brand you can use on multiple titles so your fans can see you from a distance.

To be brutally frank, Robin, your covers look exactly like they've been slapped up using the author's ideas. I haven't seen one that couldn't have been done better by the author using inexpensive stock photos or work by an art student or contributor to DeviantArt. And why do fans need to recognise your authors' 'brands' from a distance? Your books won't be in stores. On the few occasions on which I've personally laid eyes on self/vanity-pubbed books the covers were a dead giveaway and I didn't even bother picking them up.

my goal is to give all authors and providers of author service a fair go without spending thousands securing services such as editing, book layout and conversions, covers and illustrations.

You mean the things that commercial publishers spend thousands on at no cost to the author?

Last edited:

Robin Wolstenholme

Registered
Reaction score
What a warm welcome. ;) Where to start...

I am not a censor. I promote all my published books through social media and other means and reach a wide variety of readers. Some I promote to specific genre related contacts. Every book on my website is under contract with WoolysWagon ePublishing. Those that come to me for paid services are generally self publishers. Our service contract ends on completion of services. Usually I contract for print and electronic editions of a book, but I have negotiated print only contracts for some.

When an author sends out or promotes a link to their book most choose to use a link to the WoolysWagon website as links to various sales outlets are readily available. The site is not a bookstore but does provide links for purchase at major outlets. I provide generally the same promotion for all contracted authors and encourage them to utilize techniques I provide to them that have worked for other authors. It is their choice if they choose to implement them. I specify in the contract what I will do and that the promoting of the book is a shared venture. I know who is promoting, it reflects directly in the sales figures.

Like any other publisher, I pay to the author a percentage of the royalties received from sales. That figure is what is reported to me by the sales outlets. That is what royalty means: the money gained from a sale. If one received a portion of the sales price per sale it would be stated as such. I pay the same royalty share percentage for ebook or paperback sales. My authors know exactly what they will receive per sale and receive reports and payments monthly.

Some of my authors' book are available in stores. Some are in libraries.

As a publisher, services are provided in exchange for a portion of the sales revenue or royalty. As a self publisher you pay for those chosen services. I offer to those authors that choose not to self publish or pay to vanity publish an opportunity to be published. I offer a chance to be exposed to some promotion methods that I and other authors use. My contracted authors are better informed and published at no upfront cost. We both contribute and we both share the reward.

Most authors will never see anything other than a rejection letter, if that, from one of the big publishers. Many will be ripped off by vanity publishers or a series of service providers on their way to self publishing or spend untold amounts to learn to do it themselves. Some don't want to do it themselves and can't afford to pay out of pocket for services. Are these authors' work any less deserving to be read than those who paid or learned to do it themselves, or even those picked up by the big publishers? No. Not all will sell millions of copies, not all are destined for awards. But I am helping dreams come true. I am helping put books out there to be read for all readers looking for a variety of genres. And I am not ripping authors off.

Yes, some of my covers are not masterpieces, but they have been agreed upon by the author and myself for whatever reasons, known to us alone. What I have learned is that a cover doesn't have to look like that of a popular author to reach its intended audience. I cannot tell you how many books I pass over because I can only see the author's name. I buy a book for the story. However I do recognize a particular author's style of cover from time to time, even through an ebook cover, or image of the paperback cover on a site.

I offer a chance to be published, help if your story isn't ready, will not rip you off and offer one of the best royalty share percentages available. You don't lose total control of your book, I am honest about the business of selling books, about your work and your ideas and will challenge things I feel won't be in your best interest.

I apologize for crashing your party to offer some well intentioned help. I will retire from this post and seek out those discussions where my knowledge and conversation may be better received. This just happened to be the first discussion I came across and thought I saw a potential need for help from some authors who no longer had a publisher. I didn't look close enough to see what else resided here. My bad.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
From the WoolysWagon site (my bolding):

Many authors simply cannot afford shelling out the money upfront to be a self- published author and cannot or do not want to take the time to figure out what is needed or learn the various skills. If I feel that a book offers significant appeal, I will contract with an author to publish their book. At this time I do not pay any advances. I provide all services and costs thereof, with no upfront fees. My investment in time and services, along with payment for other services and items will reach the neighborhood of $5,000 minimum. The contract has no expiration date, and will succeed to your beneficiary if necessary. As you may realize, I need this time to recoup my investment. Royalties are split 50/50. There is no minimum payment, royalties are reported and paid monthly via Paypal. You have the option of ordering books yourself at a highly discounted publisher's rate but are not obligated to purchase any. You receive one complimentary author copy.
http://www.woolyswagon.com/Publishing.html

Given the dismal sales of most self/vanity pubbed books I think Robin will have to wait a long, long time to recoup her $5000* per book investment. I also think she misjudged her audience at AbsoluteWrite if she thought the well-informed people here needed the benefit of her 'knowledge'.

*Australian dollars

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com

Let's be clear here. Is it the books from your authors that actually bear the ISBN of your company that are on bookstore or library shelves? I ask because it seems you take on backlists of authors that might well be on shelves from a different company.

You don't lose total control of your book,

I find this kind of misinformation extremely frustrating from new publishers because an author doesn't lose control of their book with commercial publishers. Decent publishers don't somehow snatch a manuscript from an author's hands and publish it without the author's consent and direct involvement in the process. Please don't say things like this. It's simply not true.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I am not a censor. I promote all my published books through social media and other means and reach a wide variety of readers. Some I promote to specific genre related contacts.

Perhaps my question wasn't clear.

I wasn't asking if you censored anyone, nor did I suggest you did. You wrote in your Newbie thread,

WoolysWagon operates on the principle of all authors in our company helping one another based on the premise that increased traffic to the WoolysWagon site benefits everyone.

I was asking how you expect an author who writes erotica to promote the works of an author who writes children's books.

I know who is promoting, it reflects directly in the sales figures.

What are those sales figures likely to be for an author you publish?

Like any other publisher, I pay to the author a percentage of the royalties received from sales. That figure is what is reported to me by the sales outlets. That is what royalty means: the money gained from a sale.
If one received a portion of the sales price per sale it would be stated as such.

Royalties are earned per copy sold, for sure: but they're not the amount paid by the various sales outlets to publishers. At least, not at the various trade publishers I've worked for, or at the various trade publishers which have published my books.

Royalties are usually worked out as a percentage of the cover price of the book, or as a percentage of the cover price of the book less various specified expenses--this second way of calculating royalties due is the "net" I referred to in my previous comment.

It is extremely unusual for a publisher to take the revenue they receive from selling books and to split it 50:50 with their authors.

I pay the same royalty share percentage for ebook or paperback sales.

That's novel. And a difficult one for me to justify, in financial terms.

Do your authors work to get them placed there, or do you have a full-service distributor working to sell your books into bookshops? Note this is not the same as having your books listed in various online retailers, or available on special order from bookshops.

As a publisher, services are provided in exchange for a portion of the sales revenue or royalty.

Sales revenue and royalty are not interchangeable terms.

As a self publisher you pay for those chosen services.

Only if you want to.

I offer to those authors that choose not to self publish or pay to vanity publish an opportunity to be published.

A vanity publisher is one which makes most of its money selling books or services to the authors it publishes.

What proportion of your income is derived from selling books to readers? And what proportion comes from selling books and/or services to writers?

My contracted authors are better informed and published at no upfront cost.

Do they pay you anything after publication?

Most authors will never see anything other than a rejection letter, if that, from one of the big publishers. Many will be ripped off by vanity publishers or a series of service providers on their way to self publishing or spend untold amounts to learn to do it themselves. Some don't want to do it themselves and can't afford to pay out of pocket for services. Are these authors' work any less deserving to be read than those who paid or learned to do it themselves, or even those picked up by the big publishers? No.

It depends what you mean by "less deserving to be read".

While I recognise it's hard work writing books I also recognise that not every book which is written is competently written, is of publishable standard, or is likely to find a readership if published.

Not all will sell millions of copies, not all are destined for awards. But I am helping dreams come true. I am helping put books out there to be read for all readers looking for a variety of genres. And I am not ripping authors off.

It's kind of you to want to help writers. No one here will think less of you for that.

But if you're publishing on the basis of helping writers' dreams come true you're not going to even cover your costs by selling books. You're going to have to earn your money some other way: and the only other way is to make those authors pay you. And that means you're a vanity publisher; and that rather than making dreams come true you're actually destroying them, because the writers who pay you to bring them to publication are extremely unlikely to recoup their costs, or to sell more than a handful of copies.

I offer a chance to be published, help if your story isn't ready, will not rip you off and offer one of the best royalty share percentages available.

With respect, you don't understand what "royalty" means and you seem oblivious to the tortured tautology of "royalty share percentages" so you can't know if you're offering "one of the best royalty share percentages available".

You don't lose total control of your book, I am honest about the business of selling books, about your work and your ideas and will challenge things I feel won't be in your best interest.

Writers don't "lose control" of their books when they work with good publishers, and it's either disingenuous or ignorant of you to imply that they do.

As for challenging things which aren't in a writer's best interests, that's what this thread is doing.

I apologize for crashing your party to offer some well intentioned help. I will retire from this post and seek out those discussions where my knowledge and conversation may be better received. This just happened to be the first discussion I came across and thought I saw a potential need for help from some authors who no longer had a publisher. I didn't look close enough to see what else resided here. My bad.

This thread is all about your publisher. The mods have split it from the thread in which you originally posted to avoid confusion. It's your chance to present yourself and your publisher and your publishing services in the best light possible.

As you've mentioned your knowledge, I'd appreciate an answer to my previous question. What experience do you have in publishing? What qualifies you to edit and publish the work of others? It would really help us understand where you're coming from if you'd give us at least a basic understanding of your professional background.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Robin's maiden name was Petty. From her Amazon page:

Robin is an American author who writes from her home in Sydney Australia. She woke one morning with a book in her head, and it has continued since. She completed her first book in June 2011, an exercise book, followed by a children's book set in Australia. She is now working on completing several children's books and a novel and is still waking up with books in her head.

Robin Petty grew up in rural Ohio with her 6 brothers and sisters. Finding a quiet place to read and escape into another world was not an easy thing to do.

After becoming a mother, Robin discovered that the best reading was a shared experience between an adult and a child. Reading to a child and being there when a child learns to read are some of the best experiences in life.

Robin hopes her books are read to children and then read by children, loudly and with joy.

This certainly reads as if she also awoke one morning and thought it would be nice to be a publisher.

Compare this with her LinkedIn profile:

Experience
Publisher/Writer/Artist/Editor/Webmaster
WoolysWagon ePublishing
January 2000 – Present (14 years)WoolysWagon ePublishing
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-wolstenholme/30/b75/41a

Fourteen years? I can't find any evidence that WoolysWagon published anything before 2011.

I came across an interview with Robin in which she had this to say:

I never fancied myself a writer per se although my whole career has involved writing or rewriting for others in administrative positions.
http://imogenknightreikicircle.co.uk/ideas-for-books-where-do-good-ideas-novels-come-from/

That's it - we aren't told where she worked or exactly what she did.

And I'm still scratching my head about this:

My investment in time and services, along with payment for other services and items will reach the neighborhood of $5,000 minimum. The contract has no expiration date, and will succeed to your beneficiary if necessary. As you may realize, I need this time to recoup my investment.

It reminds me of the thousands of dollars vanity publishers like Tate and PA claim to be investing in their books.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Robin will be back, which is a shame as I also wanted to know how she hoped to make a profit by offering a 50% royalty on paperbacks. It looks like we'll have to manage without her expertise:

Originally Posted by Robin Wolstenholme
I hope to be contributing to discussions to share my knowledge to dispel some incorrect notions regarding Author services and publishing in general.

Bearing in mind the wealth of expert knowledge available on AW, a certain phrase about teaching elderly female relations to suck eggs springs to mind.

Last edited: