• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

National Federation of State Poetry Societies

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
I was wodering what people know about this place. Their website is:http://www.nfsps.com/index.htm

I think they seem legit, but then they have this in their conest rules:

Poets give NFSPS exclusive first printing rights to all poems entered in the NFSPS Annual Contests. Poems winning a cash prize of $15.00 or more will be printed in the NFSPS prize poems anthology, Encore, at the discretion of the editor. (The editor reserves the right to alter line breaks in poems having more than 50 characters per line, including spaces.) Printing rights revert to the poet after the anthology is published (June 2006). Printing rights to poems winning less than $15.00 (or no prize) revert to the poet after the list of winners is published in the NFSPS newsletter, Strophes (See Rule 10). No poems will be returned, so poets should retain copies.

These prizes are relatively small. If I do win, does this mean that I lose all rights to my poem? Let me know what you think, and thanks so much!

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
No, it doesn't mean you lose all rights. They ask for first printing rights, so that's all you'd be giving up.

The NFSPS is a legitimate organization. If I recall correctly, they have a lot of little contests instead of one big one, so that's the reason for the smaller prizes. I don't think $15 is the max you can win.

I used to be a member of the Poetry Society of Oklahoma, which in turn was an affiliate of the NFSPS.