Mysticism in Historical Fiction?

HistoryLvr

Add Salt to Taste
Registered
Reaction score
This is a question I've been toying with for quite a while. I wrote a straight up YA HF book a few years back, but it never felt right, it was my first attempt and it wasn't terribly great. I'm sure a lot of people have one of those. Anyway, I got a few more ideas for it over the years, big ideas which changed the whole book around, and one of them was adding a touch of mysticism.
I have heard that regular HF, particularly of the YA variety, is a hard sell, and adding mysticism, if done right, can give the book a bit of an edge over other books in a competitive category. Has anyone else heard of this theory? What do you all think?
I open to all ideas and thoughts on this topic, whether they are based on information or just opinion. I figure most of us HF writers are HF readers as well.
If it's not too much of a pain to ask another quick question, do any of you know which market is better these days, YA HF or Adult HF? I realize this might not be the right forum for this question, but thought I'd give it a check anyway.

Thanks everyone for their time! I really appreciate it!

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I don't know what you mean exactly by "mysticism". Are we talking religion, basically? As in, the characters have strong spiritual beliefs? I don't think that's a problem per se, unless you start edging into genres like Christian fiction.

I don't know that it'll give you an edge. Your book being interesting will give it an edge. Lots of historical fiction, I feel, features characters with strong religious/spiritual beliefs. After all, in most times and places, religion was much more central to people's lives than it is now.

I don't know whether YA HF or adult HF is selling better, honestly. It feels like both are a very hard sell these days. A lot of us HF writers are getting zilch when we query agents. Write it as YA if that's the best fit for the story; write it as adult HF if that's the best fit for the story.

Last edited:

HistoryLvr

Add Salt to Taste
Registered
Reaction score
Whoops! I didn't realize I hadn't explained what I meant by mysticism. I have been toying with this idea for so long, it is deeply ingrained in my brain. Basically, I'm talking about something having a bit of magic in it. A lot of HF set in the earlier times have this in them. A lot of Ancient Rome books with mysticism come to mind. Some Bernard Cornwell has it.
My book is a two POV book, one in the past and one in the present. Without boring you all with the details, what I'm really talking about is the method the past story is related to the MC in the present. I could have it told as a story, which wouldn't be mystic at all but straight HF, or I could have it relayed in a kind of magical-ish way, like through dreams, just as an example.
The reason I ask about the YA vs Adult HF is because I wrote this book a few years ago and have been working on it on and off since, but I started feeling like it shouldn't be YA anymore, as the story could really work better as an adult thing. I thought maybe getting an idea of the market would help me make a decision, even though the story itself matters most.
Thanks Angeliz2k for your response!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

A mystic is someone with direct inner experience of the Divine. Not magic. Says a mystic.

Write what you're passionate about, not what you think will sell.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
I think I know what you mean. Bernard Cornwell and Lavender Ironside (Arthurian England and ancient Egypt respectively) both have characters that interpret what's happening through the lens of profound faith and/or superstition. For example, they sincerely believe that, say, a deity visited them in a dream to tell them something important. Since divination is a respected practice, other characters are willing to go along with it.

I think it's most interesting when it's portrayed very ambiguously by the author. It really deepens the POV. I've read books advertised as HF where there really was no question that what the character saw really happened as they say it did, or a certain ritual actually had a tangible, undeniable effect. Personally speaking, that strays a little too close to fantasy for me, especially when the book is dealing with real historical figures.

That said, there is definitely a niche for alternative historical fantasy too. So whatever approach ends up working for your story, there is an audience out there for it. (It might be a little small though!)

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
I write YA historical and have been told by people in the know that it's a hard sell at the moment.

I have wondered if sales are the reason why Philippa Gregory has gone totally historical fantasy rather than histfic in her Young Adult stuff.

As a reader of YA Historical I get frustrated by the fact that so, so much has magical elements (alchemists doing actual magic, witches doing proper spells and talking to fairies etc) instead of just people believing in the supernatural as people in the past generally did, but I assume it is related to what sells.

For me it's a line I'm not prepared to cross - I'd rather write contemporary than put real magic into my historical fiction - but that's just me. I wouldn't be surprised if magic elements made it easier to sell your book to teens. As to whether it's easier to sell it as teen or adult, I have no idea but it sounds like you are inclining towards adult. The main thing is to make up your mind early on and do what works best for the book.

Good luck!

HistoryLvr

Add Salt to Taste
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their input! The more I think about this problem, the more I think I'll just leave the book as it is, at least for now. Now, it is YA HF with some magical mysticism. I might change it later, but I think the best thing to do is just finish it in the way I originally planned and see if any agents argue with my genre choice.

Thanks again for all the help and well wishes!

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
My opinion is the same as if you where talking about sex, or violence or swearing. If it grows naturally from the story, sure. If it's just there in an attempt that it 'will sell more,' then I disagree.

I know you mentioned about magic being used in certain books, especially Ancient Rome, and I would respond that I tend not to like it. If there is something 'magical' happening, I want to understand that there is a scientific basis for it. I've just read Clan of the Cave Bear, which is an excellent example. When Mogur sees Ayla's leg wound he believes she has been marked by the gods and it is seen as a sign of her spiritual totum, however the reader knows Ayla has narrowly missed being mauled to death by a cave lion.