Status
Not open for further replies.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but couldn't think where else it might go...

This is not a sales pitch and it's not a tech problem. I've found a new feature which solves a writing problem in an unexpected way.

I upgraded to Office 2010 from 2007 over the weekend. I don't normally like upgrading perfectly good software but my accountant needed me to upgrade to Excel 2010 or 2013 for some techie reason, so it seemed best to do full office suite in one hit. To save cash I only jumped to 2010 and not to the latest iteration.

So far it's going well. The software installed without a hitch and learning how to use it has proved to be remarkably painless. but what has tickled me is that there is a new feature in Word which is turning out to me remarkably useful.

It's the search for a word function. Up to now, searching (or control F) simply jumps you to the next occurrence of that word or text string. In Word 2010 (and presumably 2013) it does something quite a bit better. It pops up a sidebar showing all of the instances of that word or string in the document, plus a few words either side.

I've found a couple of instances where this comes in really handy. It's great for keeping track of character and place names. But probably more usefully, it's a good way of tackling your over-used favourite phrases. Can't remember if you've used an expression before? Hit control F to see exactly how many times you've overused it.

To think that I was grumbling about the expense and now find myself geeking out about my new toy...

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. Maybe some day, if I'm really good, I can retire Word 2003, which serves me perfectly well but is a decade old, fercryinoutloud.

Maryn, glad you like this

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
It's the search for a word function. Up to now, searching (or control F) simply jumps you to the next occurrence of that word or text string. In Word 2010 (and presumably 2013) it does something quite a bit better. It pops up a sidebar showing all of the instances of that word or string in the document, plus a few words either side.

I've found a couple of instances where this comes in really handy. It's great for keeping track of character and place names. But probably more usefully, it's a good way of tackling your over-used favourite phrases. Can't remember if you've used an expression before? Hit control F to see exactly how many times you've overused it.

The same feature that sucked me into RoughDraft; especially useful because RD can search-process all the files in a given directory as well as the current file.

Status
Not open for further replies.