Accidents with Matchlock Muskets

Robin K

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what injuries that English Civil War era soldiers might have gotten from accidents with matchlock muskets? I'm especially interested in injuries from premature/unexpected explosions of powder. I see lots of warnings on these muskets being dangerous but I'm having trouble finding any real details. Thank you very much in advance for any help!

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
You need to find some re-enactors to talk to. I'm sure they'd love to fill you in. Try the Sealed Knot or the English Civil War Society.

jimmymc

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
The biggest two problems with matchlocks are not firing when expected or firing unexpectedly(hangfire). The wick or match burned all the time and could cause an unexpected flash of powder or a discharge due to sloppy loading procedures as might be expected in combat.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an incident that occurred in 1656, from the Memoirs of James II:

An entire Regiment of horse, consisting of Six score, going from Douay to the Enemie's Camp, all of them Officers as well as Souldiers having behind them a bagg of powder, besides about fourscore horses laden with hand grenades, which were led by Countrymen on foot, had been all blown up, but by what accident, none of those who were brought prisoners into the Camp could tell. Indeed it was a very dismall object, to behold a great number of poor men, who were brought into our Camp with their faces disfigur'd and their bodies burnt by powder, so that few of them recover'd, their Companions Having been all kill'd outright.

I happen 'd since, when I was in Flanders, to talke with a Lieutenant of horse who was the only man that could give an account, how that accident befell them; for seeing his face had been burnt, I casually ask'd him how he came by that misfortune? He answer'd me, that it was by the blowing up of powder at such a time near Arras; and upon my examining him concerning the particulars of it, he told me, That happening to be in the Rear of the whole Regiment, he saw one of the Troopers with a pipe of tobacco lighted in his mouth; wherupon he rode up to him, and taking it gently from him, threw it away after which he beat him with his sword: The Soldier being drunke, pull'd out his pistol, and presented it to his breast; upon which the Lieutenant threw himself from his horse apprehending what might happen, and the Trooper at the same instant firing at him, it lighted on the bag behind the sd Lieutenant's horse, which taking fire, blew it up, and so, from one successively to the other who was next, it spred through the whole Regiment: he being on the ground escap'd best cheape, having only his face, his hands, and some parts of his body scorched.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now I can't remember what fort it was--we took our kids to many--but a re-enactor who was really into it explained how a flash in the pan could burn the hands and lower arms, the neck, and the face, depending on how much gunpowder there was and how the soldier was holding the weapon when it happened. (It was also possible not to be injured at all, other than embarrassed.) That was one of the reasons gunpowder was put in single-use paper packets, so the amount poured into the musket's pan by the inexperienced could be limited.

I second the suggestion to find a re-enactor--and search YouTube, too.

Maryn, who'll take volunteer kids to forts

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I asked my husband, who shoots antique firearms, if he'd ever shot a matchlock musket. He said no. He snorted when I asked about accidents with them.

Scenario: Foot soldiers are carrying all their gear. Matchlocks require a ready fire, so they'll got a coil of lit wick. That's right, it's on flame. They're also carrying a powder horn, or some other container of explosive powder. Right there, you've got endless potentials for trouble. In the meantime, matchlocks were mostly muzzle loaders, which means you would have to turn them muzzle side up, fill them with powder all while you've got a lit wick burning on your person. What if some of the powder falls? What if there's a spark from your wick?

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal