zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
But saying men feel less inclined to share their feelings is an observation rather than a stereotype in my eyes. It's no different that saying men are more likely to have short hair than women. No survey was ever done on that, but we can easily observe that fact.

Except that, at least in my social circles, men are just as able/willing to talk about their feelings as the women. So your "fact" is anecdotal local observation only. It becomes a stereotype when you decide it must apply universally.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
You stopped too soon. What does he look at? I wanna know. :)

Cars. He's building a race car in our garage and if he sees an interesting car we have to stop and inspect it. Boring. However, he also kisses and cuddles our little dog so I don't mean men are big tough emotionless hulky tough guys. Now there's a stereotype. And obviously if they're interior designers they'd be right beside me looking in the windows. All I'm saying is that there are differences between men and women and when it isn't taken into account when writing, it shows.

Paramite Pie

Registered
Reaction score
Except that, at least in my social circles, men are just as able/willing to talk about their feelings as the women. So your "fact" is anecdotal local observation only. It becomes a stereotype when you decide it must apply universally.

I actually said "men having shorter hair than women" was a "fact" and was using that as an allegory to other types of gender observations. So my "fact" is anecdotal observation based on hair lengths between genders (which is pretty obvious). My point is some anecdotal observations can be accurate.

I never said men not sharing & caring was a fact. I was just saying it does apply to many men (an observation), not to all.

Since the OP is writing an emotionally reserved male character, I feel it's important to address the psychology of that type of man.

As for your social circle (which is also an anecdotal observation) I wonder if the men are more likely to open up to the women in the group rather than to the other men. Because I know personally that I'm more likely to open up to my female friends generally speaking.

Your guy friends might share alot with you, but do they share as much with each other? Just curious....

Anyways... this is getting a little off topic since the thread is not about men in general, just the character the OP wants to write about.

Last edited:

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes it helps me to envision what actor (or actress) I would have play a character if I were casting a movie. Then I test out dialogue by trying to "hear" that actor say the lines. I've ended up tweaking a lot of dialogue to sound more natural for my character by doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.