Finally getting serious about this writing thing...

Nadja V.

late bloomer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been looking for a forum, less for the social aspects than to be able to pick the brains of those with more experience. I'm 50 (today, in fact) and am finally, with the encouragement of my daughter, writing a novel. I suppose it would be classified a romance, but that's not what I consider the real gist of it. I'm enjoying the research and actually studying the craft of writing for the first time.

By way of introduction, I was born in NYC, moved to Munich at age 8, have lived in Bristol, England, Tucson, Charlotte, NC and am now in rural TN on a mini-farm, homeschooling my 6 kids. I'm a restoration bookbinder by trade and I like music, books and wine...though not necessarily in that order...

LeoKing

Registered
Reaction score
Website
foreverwhere.com
Hi there,

I've been looking for a forum, less for the social aspects than to be able to pick the brains of those with more experience. I'm 50 (today, in fact) and am finally, with the encouragement of my daughter, writing a novel. I suppose it would be classified a romance, but that's not what I consider the real gist of it. I'm enjoying the research and actually studying the craft of writing for the first time.

By way of introduction, I was born in NYC, moved to Munich at age 8, have lived in Bristol, England, Tucson, Charlotte, NC and am now in rural TN on a mini-farm, homeschooling my 6 kids. I'm a restoration bookbinder by trade and I like music, books and wine...though not necessarily in that order...

Welcome, Nadja!

Glad to see your taking steps to get into writing. I dabbled for (too) many years myself before I started getting serious. I think the best piece of advice I can give is the same advice given to me: Write, write, and keep writing. It's just one of those things that you get better at the more you do.

If it's not too forward, what part of of rural TN are you around? My wife and I are looking to move out to Douglas, or perhaps Sevier County. Was hoping to get a resident's opinion of the area.

Nadja V.

late bloomer
Registered
Reaction score
If it's not too forward, what part of of rural TN are you around? My wife and I are looking to move out to Douglas, or perhaps Sevier County. Was hoping to get a resident's opinion of the area.

I'm in north-central TN, about an hour from Nashville and on the TN/KY border. Rural living has it's pros and cons. I have a lot of beauty and peace surrounding me, but no pubs or coffee shops!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Glad your daughter encouraged you to write that first novel.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
Nadja welcome to the cooler we are glad to have you here.

as to the rest dont worry i am over 50 working on my set of books. you will find lots o help and helpful peoples in here.

have a great day

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Nadja V.! :welcome:

Well, you've definitely come to right place for writing advice. AW is, imo, the best online writing community and resource, bar none. There are writers here at all stages of their writing journeys (from aspiring to professional and award-winning), and more great advice than you can shake a stick at. Dive right in, you won't regret it!

See you around the boards :)

Reaction score
Good luck!

I just turned 25 and realized writing is the only thing that makes me happy, and can do marginally well.

doingitwritenow

Registered
Reaction score
I, too have been wanting to start for years. I am 32, and I had a life changing epiphany in September. ready for it? Life is too short.
You fail 100% of the times you do not try.
So, I began writing. Mostly for me, but my WIP is turning out better than I hoped :)

Cwright

Mmm... Mexican Food
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Sounds like you've had your share of adventures in the world :) And congrats on another birthday (Six days ago).

Looking forward to seeing your writing come to life!