Great Agent vs Great Cover

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Well I was going to check out your books on the Samhain site, but maybe you have some reason for not revealing the name.

Kemo.

Have grammar--will travel
Registered
Reaction score
Poor cover design (at least in my opinion) by a publisher wouldn't deter me from signing a contract. If the publisher is reputable, it's reasonable to assume that they know how to sell books and that they have a design department of talented people trying to make all their books alluring as possible to their audiences.

It's a personal choice, whether or not to relinquish control of something you love to strangers. But just as I wouldn't want the book designer to "spruce up" the first few chapters of my book, I'll leave the cover to the professionals.

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest the cover designs of a publisher wouldn't have much influence on whether I chose them or not. Because I have no artistic or marketing experience.

My book is being published with a big publisher and, because of what I have heard from others, I was prepared to have absolutely no input into the cover design. Surprisingly they asked me for ideas, gave me a selection of absolutely beautiful cover art to choose from, then went with my favourite. It seems the input you have into cover art varies greatly from publisher to publisher. It did however help me that I went into the process with my expectations low and a willingness to accept whatever cover that was ultimately decided on.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've sort of derailed myself, so I'll go back to the original question... have you ever second guessed yourself from querying/accepting rep someone specific if it meant that it wouldn't get you the cover you really wanted?
Huh? No. From the sound of your post, you're not even at the stage of getting to choose an agent, stop worrying about it until you are.

Jeff