Two main characters and several ghosts

Dr. Conflict

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to ask for some opinions on this question. I have a supernatural thriller screenplay I'm seriously considering writing, but it has a pretty unusual structural limitation: it has only two living characters for nearly the entire story. There is the protagonist and someone you could think of either as an antagonist or a secondary protag, depending on your view of it.

There are several ghosts involved that have places in acts 2 & 3, and I guess they definitely count as characters, but not living ones. The ghosts won't have much conventional dialogue, I don't think. But they'll be playing a major role in the action. Basically they will be haunting the human characters and in doing so, revealing the story (backstory of the house and its prior occupants).

The question is, does the fact that there are only two living characters seem like it would be a limiting factor? I mean, I'm sure I can write it, but would it go against convention in a severe way? I wouldn't want to put all the work into writing something that I'm worried that any professional reader who reads it is going to react badly to the absence of the usual range and number of speaking characters. In other words, can two characters sustain a 90-minute movie?

The reason that there are only two characters is that according to the premise as it exists right now, they are forced unexpectedly by adverse circumstances to take shelter in a particular location as they're driving somewhere.

Any thoughts?

D-N-K

Registered
Reaction score
In other words, can two characters sustain a 90-minute movie?

Just of the top of my head:

My dinner with andre
Oleanna
Anti-christ
Gerry
Sleuth
Open Water
Hell in the Pacific
The Sunset Limited
Gravity
Moon

I'm sure there are many more, probably most being play adaptations.

Buried had one guy in a coffin and it worked. All is lost, had Redford on a boat and that was it.

Anything can be done, if you know how to do it right. I don't think there are any rules. If you think you can write a good story, go for it dude. I'm sure if it's good anyone who would read it, would be interested in it.

I haven't seen Paranormal Activity but from the trailer it looked like it only had 2 characters and a bunch of ghosts. Blair Witch had 3. Those movies made a lot of money.

Last edited:

Dr. Conflict

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks man, I was blanking out when I tried to think of some examples. You took care of that very efficiently.

I haven't seen any of the Paranormal Activity films. Do the ghosts in that have any story, or are they just making doors slam and beds move, etc.? What I like about my idea is that there's this really tragic story behind it, and the challenge will be to try to find ways to reveal that backstory through the "haunting events" that they cause. So I'm going to be visualizing creepy and tragic things that they do and ways for them to communicate, but I predict that it will be difficult to avoid visual cliches.

whatsupbuttercup

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that it can be done. D-N-K listed great examples of films that utilize few characters. Gravity to me had one strong lead character in Bullock who was able to carry the movie singlehandedly.

I think it could be done, but the execution will have to be on point. IMO, if the characters are strong and dynamic enough they will be able to carry the story alone. It shouldn't be a limiting factor at all. No professional will turn down a strong and solid script that is dynamic and written well.

Not the greatest advice, but go with your gut. If this is your vision stand by it. It could be one screenplay of many.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Gravity didn't have a plot and was cobbled together of cliches covered in Velveeta, but that doesn't have to do with how many characters it had. ;)

Wall-e has basically two characters and virtually no dialogue whatsoever.

Also, ask Pinter. ;)

If you HAVE characters, you have to use them, but if you don't, :Shrug:

Dr. Conflict

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Very helpful.

I do now believe the story idea has merit, or should I say "potential," and will work if told right.

Actually, one reason I joined here (though certainly not the only one) is I would like to find a "spitballing partner" here if possible... someone to hash out plotting ideas with in PMs or email, in exchange for more of the same on their ideas when desired. I can offer input as well as take it. Sometimes that fresh approach by someone else is what's called for when you feel a little stuck, no?

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Castaway, Tom Hanks and a Volleyball. Wilson was actually a wonderful character if you think about it. Though he was an inanimate object, he actually was a character, and the only one that Hanks really interacted with. And there is that other one where Ricky Gervaise is the Dentist and he almost dies and when he wakes up he can see all these ghosts. That was a funny one too, but for the life of me I can't remember the title. Anyway those are two rather unconventional stories involving small casts of the living.

D-N-K

Registered
Reaction score
C And there is that other one where Ricky Gervaise is the Dentist and he almost dies and when he wakes up he can see all these ghosts. That was a funny one too, but for the life of me I can't remember the title.

Ghost Town.

Dr. Conflict

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks gambit, that's a pretty good example, but try to imagine Cast Away if the story didn't end with Hanks going back home and all that, but had stayed on the island the whole time. That would be a closer analogy for my story.

Wait... then again, it just hit me like a ton of bricks that I could do a similar thing with my story and that I don't have to end it the way I was thinking (with only the two characters).

In fact, your mention of Cast Away has helped me a lot because I can now visualize a much better ending that uses a classic denouement instead of the "edgy" thing I was picturing until now. So thank you again!