Finding an agent via screenwriting contests

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
So in my attempts to find representation, I have sent queries to agents. While I am awaiting response, I'm also researching managers and entertainment lawyers should the agencies not be interested. A writer friend also suggested that I get the attention of agents through screenwriting contests like the Nicholl's Fellowship, Slamdance, Sundance Writers Lab, and the Fade In Screenwriting Awards.

Have you (or anyone you know) ever found an agent by going this route?

Last edited:

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
So in my attempts to find representation, I have sent queries to agents. While I am awaiting response, I'm also researching managers and entertainment lawyers should the agencies not be interested. A writer friend also suggested that I get the attention of agents through screenwriting contests like the Nicholl's Fellowship, Slamdance, Sundance Writers Lab, and the Fade In Screenwriting Awards.

Have you (or anyone you know) ever found an agent by going this route?

Nicholls, yes.
Page, yes.
TrackingB, yes.
BlackList (provided you score an 8,9 or 10), yes.
The myriad of other contests out there -- sometimes, if you are the grand prize winner, though not necessarily.

In fact, if you want to see how you stack up against your peers, host your script on the BlackList for a month, pay for two reads and then start querying managers like mad to draw traffic to your script. Managers are always open to 8+ scripts as are producers.

Very few screenwriters these days get an agent BEFORE they get a manager. Agents push their clients for writing assignments; managers send their clients' scripts out. Since it doesn't sound like you've written any screenplays that have been produced or have won major awards, a manager would probably be your best bet.

FYI: Almost no one sends query LETTERS these days; email is the usual form of communication.

DaniGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Nicholls, yes.
Page, yes.
TrackingB, yes.
BlackList (provided you score an 8,9 or 10), yes.
The myriad of other contests out there -- sometimes, if you are the grand prize winner, though not necessarily.

In fact, if you want to see how you stack up against your peers, host your script on the BlackList for a month, pay for two reads and then start querying managers like mad to draw traffic to your script. Managers are always open to 8+ scripts as are producers.

Very few screenwriters these days get an agent BEFORE they get a manager. Agents push their clients for writing assignments; managers send their clients' scripts out. Since it doesn't sound like you've written any screenplays that have been produced or have won major awards, a manager would probably be your best bet.

FYI: Almost no one sends query LETTERS these days; email is the usual form of communication.

Thank you.