Ask the Somm

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I might go a bit further in than Charles Shaw, but TJ also has a ton of solid reds for $5-ish. I am particularly fond of one of their Montepulcianos in the Italy section....

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Last night, cracked open our bottle of O'Leary Fine Cabernet/Merlot (as in Kevin O'Leary from "Shark Tank") that we picked up during our tenth anniversary trip to Toronto. All right, Mr. Wonderful does indeed know how to produce a decently priced wine that tastes good.

Mind you, I still can't get in Cleveland because of OH's crap liquor import laws... :p

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I had a sherry that was older than me tonight! 1927 Alvear, Solera from Spain that was toe-curlingly divine and very very smooth.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
My mother-in-law held a totally unscientific (her words) wine tasting tonight at her place. Sight unseen, we were tasting all reds: The Prisoner, the Fugitive and Insurrection. She wanted to see if we could "tell the difference" and figure out what was the most expensive wine.

4 out of 5 of us (me included) all picked a certain wine as our top choice -- and when it was revealed, it turned out we chose The Prisoner (which was the priciest).

Fun night, though my mother-in-law didn't use red wine goblets for the initial taste. So I couldn't get a good scent off the other two wines. The first wine had that aroma to savor first even in a narrow glass.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Tonight we enjoyed Ravage 2014 Cabernet Savingon (sic). Nice hint of smoke there.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Consumed nearly an entire bottle of a white table wine from Galena Winery in Illinois called General's Reserve. Pleasant. It was a long, sad weekend and I needed the help.