RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Good news free enterprise fans. AT&T is apparently making money off of its phone data by selling to the CIA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/07/us/cia-is-said-to-pay-att-for-call-data.html?_r=0

The cooperation is conducted under a voluntary contract, not under subpoenas or court orders compelling the company to participate, according to the officials. The C.I.A. supplies phone numbers of overseas terrorism suspects, and AT&T searches its database and provides records of calls that may help identify foreign associates, the officials said. The company has a huge archive of data on phone calls, both foreign and domestic, that were handled by its network equipment, not just those of its own customers.

So is this Big Brotherism or isn't it?

It's a company selling information it collected in the normal course of its operations, but the customer is the US government instead of an ad agency.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm done being surprised by this.

But don't mistake lack of shock for lack of outrage.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Free enterprise? Are we talking about a company that for generations held a government-granted monopoly over telephone services, actually relies on volumes of government regulations for its very existence, and spends massive sums of money each and every year buying political influence used to increase its market share and throw up roadblocks to competitors?

That free enterprise? I just want to be sure I've got the term right.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Free enterprise? Are we talking about a company that for generations held a government-granted monopoly over telephone services, actually relies on volumes of government regulations for its very existence, and spends massive sums of money each and every year buying political influence used to increase its market share and throw up roadblocks to competitors?

That free enterprise? I just want to be sure I've got the term right.

<Slips into a phone booth (what's that?) and emerges as Disingenuous Man>
Well yeah. They're spending money without anybody interfering with how they're spending it.
</Slips into a phone booth (what's that?) and emerges as Disingenuous Man>

In any case, I don't see the relevance of this. This is a private corporation that obtained information as part of how their systems work. They are then selling that information to the government.

They also plan to sell that and more information to private corporations.
http://gigaom.com/2013/07/03/heres-a-big-shock-att-will-start-selling-customers-usage-data/

<Disingenuous Man>
I'm only asking if government obtaining private information by paying for it is morally different from obtaining it by direct spying?
</Disingenuous Man>

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
deleted image -- it was really cute!

Is there really any purely private way to communicate these days?

Last edited:

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And to think that for years AT&T's slogan was:

AT&T The Right Choice

(PS, AT&T just bought the naming right's to the Cowboy's stadium, they may be cash strapped).

Last edited: