Not open for further replies.

veronie

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.preferredword.com
Sin and Syntax

Here's a book that I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread: "Sin and Syntax" by Constance Hale.

I've read a lot of books on writing over the years, including "On Writing" by King, but in my opinion, "Sin and Syntax" is by far the best book on writing I have ever come across.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The most instructive book on writing narrative fiction I've ever come across is not an instruction, advice, or guidance book. It's the novel Mildred Pierce, by James M. Cain. Read it as a writer, the guy was an absolute genius at narrative.

(The French consider him an American rival to Albert Camus)

(But then, the French also revere Jerry Lewis, so don't take it too seriously)

caw.

Steve 211

Here and There
Registered
Reaction score
Quite a list here. Here’s my notes as I read through.

On Writing – I did skip ahead to the writing part, but the rest was good, too. The best thing about it isn’t the technical tips but the way he has of swiping aside all the academic jargon we’ve picked up and telling us, very simply, to focus on the story.

Glad to see someone else has read Maugham’s Summing Up. I found it in an old bookcase and loved it – very dense and not for everyone, but so honest and thorough.

Lawrence Block’s Telling Lies is awesome. A great intro by Sue Grafton, and then there's Block himself, asking, "Why aren’t you writing instead of reading this book?"

And yes, many of the best writers didn’t learn with how-to books. I mean, look at the Bible. They didn't even have correspondence courses back then. Jack London did read Spencer’s Philosophy of Style, which has many good tips, but mostly he learned from copying out stories by Kipling.

The Paris Review collections, including Women Writers, are very good – many writers I don’t enjoy reading I really enjoyed reading interviews of.

Steinbeck’s journals are great, as well – there he is warming up after another night of drinking and telling his friend that he’s going to struggle through this chapter, and he does it.

I found Vogler’s Writer’s Journey a little thin – I feel one would be better off reading the material from the source – Joseph Campbell.

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers is very good – a way of clearing out a lot of the dead wood and blundering.

I did order and read about half of Egri’s The Art of Dramatic Writing, simply because Woody Allen said it was the best book on writing drama. But for me it was too academic/psychological. Dwight Swain’s Techniques of the Selling Writer presents much of the same material the way a trainer for a boxer might – straight and simple and to the point.

Two great books on the lifestyle and emotional road of writers are Keyes’s The Courage to Write, as BuffStuff mentioned, and Bruce Holland Rogers’s Word Work. Bird by Bird is excellent as well.

And finally, David Morrell has one called Lessons from a Lifetime of Writing. Very good stuff on point of view, dramatic structure, and very funny and insightful bits on publishing and the movie business.

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Steve 211 said:
I found Vogler’s Writer’s Journey a little thin – I feel one would be better off reading the material from the source – Joseph Campbell.

I really can't stand the way Joseph Campbell is the only mythology theorist who gets any credit or shelf space. The guy was a transcendentalist whose mysticism makes his theory almost useless in my opinion. Much better to read Levi-Strauss and Durkheim for mythology/anthropology and Jung for archetypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.