Anyone Else Going For A New Genre For NaNo 2013?

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,
The last time I did NaNo was in 2008 and it did me a lot of good by getting me out of the pretentious navel-gazing gook I was writing up to that time and reminding me that writing is supposed to be fun and satisfying to the reader and not just to the writer (nothing at all against literary fiction - I just have a tendency to get weighed down by lofty language when I try it).

I decided to do NaNo this year also and since experimenting is one reason why I love NaNo, I decided to experiment with a new genre for me - historical mystery.

I am still very nervous about it but I have a good start so far and am enjoying it.

Anyone else decide to tackle a new genre for NaNo this year?

Djuna

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not really sure how to classify the novel I'm doing this year, but I'm calling it YA dystopian suspense (even though it's contemporary, not in the future, like most dystopians). I've done dystopian before, but never contemporary or suspense. This is actually the first thing I've written in awhile that doesn't have any supernatural elements to it. It's scary, but kind of exciting too.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Not a new one, but an old one that everyone's sick of and I'll probably never sell on account of the market being oversaturated but I don't care because it's NaNo and I looooove them: vampires.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
Not a new one, but an old one that everyone's sick of and I'll probably never sell on account of the market being oversaturated but I don't care because it's NaNo and I looooove them: vampires.

Awesome! I'm writing about vampires too. :D

I just added in historical fiction since it's set in the past. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. :)

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Y'know, if you're gonna get 50K out in 30 days, you wanna do something you're excited to do.

I'm doing a vampire story also. I can't decide whether to call it a fantasy, which I've done before, or a horror, which I've not.

I want the vampire to be an honest evil creature, like from its historical origins. But the horror aspect hasn't come out so far. We'll see where the story takes me.

shestval

No more horror books at 1am
Registered
Reaction score
MG contemporary spec fiction. I've never done MG before, and I've never done contemporary. Surprisingly, I actually really like the contemporary part. Who knew writing about family drama could be such fun?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^LOL, my vampire story has family drama in it too, and OH it IS fun!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've written historical shorts, and I've written light sci-fi, or what I call "scientific fiction," where although the technology doesn't exist, it's not too far off and exists within the known world.

For this year I've combined them: historical sci-fi.

shestval

No more horror books at 1am
Registered
Reaction score
@Chris: I like the term "scientific fiction." I was having a hard time classifying the movie Gravity, because while it's obviously a thriller, it's not contemporary because they are using tech that doesn't yet exist. But calling it "science fiction" felt misleading, because the new tech was so minor and believable. It would be very easy to walk out of Gravity thinking it was a contemporary thriller.

"Scientific fiction" is a good moniker for that sort of media. :)

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
oooh ooh ooh! *hands up enthusiastically*

I am really just writing this NaNo to try and get the rust of the magical fiction machine. I'm trying to write for me. I had this idea for this story and just started writing it without even worrying about all the tuff I worry about when I write - and I don't know what genre it really is. I have a vampire in it (long story - I have two other gothic romances set in this particular world andthat vampire is from that world) but... there are really no paranormal things about this story. But there's a vampire in it.

So what is he doing there?

I don't know yet. So this just might be a non-paranormal gothic romance, which I've never done before.

LupineMoon

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely! I did semi-autobiographical the last couple years and am branching into sci-fi? this year.