• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

To be or not to be a beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisisobservantme

Registered
Reaction score
Up until about two weeks ago I had no idea what a beta was. Recently I have started to write a new novel and I really want to find some who will give me some......constructive criticism!
So....how exactly do beta's work? How do I find one and...like...how do I know they're not going to steal my manuscript or something?
I have trust issues I'm sorry! It is the internet.........
So if someone could explain it to me that would be really great!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like the Stickies in this very forum speak to all these questions, observantme.

Protecting Yourself and Your Work

What is a beta reader?

and

Beta or Share Your Work - Options

all seem likely to address your questions, and then if you find you still have questions these threads have not answered, you can ask more specifically. :D Also there are other Stickies that may have more info you need, if you go to the main link for this forum, here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30 you'll see the list of them.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

starbelly35

Registered
Reaction score
I had the same questions when I first joined this group. I also belonged to another online critique group and was feeling too chicken to share my work. I have never had a problem with anyone passing my work around. Having beta readers is extremely helpful to the writing process, in my opinion. Personally, I like to swap chapters for chapters. I feel that by doing that, things get back and forth in a more timely manner.
Good luck:):)

Status
Not open for further replies.