• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Why I WILL Beta Read Your Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say, one of the major reasons I didn't comment on the other thread is because of reactions like this. I have a feeling that other people who are willing beta readers may have avoided that thread as well. Lets try to keep this thread a safe place for them to discuss their love of beta reading.

The thing is, Maryn's post is actually trying to help new writers as well. Honestly, when I was greener (which wasn't long ago, cause I'm still pretty green), I would've given my book to anyone who would read it. And that is NOT necessarily a good thing. Having some personal standards about whose work you will read and who you will let read your books helps to ensure a more positive beta experience. Beta comments, especially from several sources, can be trying for a new writer. Having those beta comments from writer you've gotten to know a bit on the boards and respect makes it much easier. Likewise, as a beta reader, pouring hours upon hours into a beta read only to get no response, or angry response, is a very disheartening thing.

It's fantastic that so many people are willing to beta and so many are looking for betas. It really, really is, and I wish you all the best. I agree that beta reading is a wonderful experience. But do try to understand why some people feel like they'd prefer to develop beta relationships with people who are invested in the forums.

(And I'll also own up to the fact that I actually have been a not-so-good beta reader on an occasion or two as well. I've gotten too busy with life to beta read effectively, and I have on at least one occasion not expressed that well to the author, for which I feel very, very bad now. At the time, I felt like I didn't want them to think I didn't like their book, but now I know that as a beta and as an author, I need to set some ground rules with myself before I commit.)

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I personally can't stand when someone just drops off the face of the planet with a word at all.
Yet that's more common than thanks when you beta for someone new to this community, who has no investment in relationships here, who's spent little time.

Ask Karen Junker.

Maryn, pragmatic

evee123zy

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
to be fair, i think it is little bits like this that are pissing me off.

I have a couple people waiting for me to beta read their stuff.
I am sending my own stuff out to several people.

We're all "willing" beta readers, we simply like to know where our time and effort is going, and have some idea beforehand what we may be getting into. Your post, the previous one and this one, sort of suggest you're not getting that. You want a free beta, here: word choice matters. "willing beta readers" suggests you are being at best careless, if not passive-aggressive, with yours.

in any event, it does take all kinds. but like others here, I suspect you may well feel different after spending 20 hours on someone's sub-literate scribble or betaing in return for someone who's entire critique offered in return is "you should totally name your MC Steve instead...I dated a Steve once, and he was super-hawt..."

guess time will tell ;-)

Mm, I really think you are getting pissed off over semantics. Shame on me for thinking it was pretty clear what I meant by that.

Also, as I have mentioned before, I have spent hours beta reading "sub-literate" work, and as you'll see in the comment I made about it in this thread, you'll note that I still try to help.

In any case, if this thread is really bothering you that much, maybe you should exit. i didn't start this thread to argue with people from the other thread.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[Maryn puts on moderator hat to explain general policies, although this is not her board. As usual, the hat sits crooked and makes her hair stick out in odd directions.]

While the OP (original poster, the person who began a thread) might wish to direct where discussion goes and who may participate, he or she does not get to suggest others bow out for whatever reason.

If anyone's input bothers you, then you have two options: put them in "ignore" status so you will not see their posts, or, if you believe their words are breaking AW's RYFW rule (respect your fellow writer), then click on the triangular red and white button in the left column, which reports the thread to the board's moderator.

Maryn, taking off the hat again, knowing now there's a big dent in her hair and a red line across her forehead

evee123zy

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
[Maryn puts on moderator hat to explain general policies, although this is not her board. As usual, the hat sits crooked and makes her hair stick out in odd directions.]

While the OP (original poster, the person who began a thread) might wish to direct where discussion goes and who may participate, he or she does not get to suggest others bow out for whatever reason.

If anyone's input bothers you, then you have two options: put them in "ignore" status so you will not see their posts, or, if you believe their words are breaking AW's RYFW rule (respect your fellow writer), then click on the triangular red and white button in the left column, which reports the thread to the board's moderator.

Maryn, taking off the hat again, knowing now there's a big dent in her hair and a red line across her forehead

lol Once again, what I've said has been
blown out of proportion. If someone is using inflammatory language such as "you are pissing me off" and it's all because someone decided to share some positivity, then yes, I'm going to suggest you walk away for your own health, as there are way too many stressors in life for this to be one of them. Whether they decide to take a break is up to them.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
The OP has some great reasons to beta read within it.

This said, why does it keep coming down to:

... those of us who will beta read without asking anything return...
I see no points in the OP that are exclusive to those who "don't ask for anything in return". It's great to discuss why beta reading is good for the beta - but this repeated reference to "some of us don't ask for anything in return" comes across as really negative towards those that (quite appropriately) do look for reciprocation (or at least some signs that the author is involved in the community/willing to take on feedback). It reads... well, a little offensively.

It might not be intended this way - but that's how it comes across. It seems a few others feel the same. Consider it a beta reading of the post. :tongue

To be brutally honest, I wouldn't want anybody with a "I'll read anything from anyone, no questions asked" attitude to read my novel. I'd have serious concerns about the usefulness of their comments if they don't care about my genre, plot or attitude. (Why would you read my rough rough draft in a genre you don't know about or care for when you're not even sure I'm not just fishing for compliments? Sure, there are great people out there who would - but I can't help but believe the majority would be wasting my time, and theirs.)

Now - shall we steer this thread towards the positives of beta reading for those who beta regardless of whether it's reciprocated? Because frankly, that's an ace topic to discuss and, as I've said, there are some great reasons mentioned in the OP. :)

Last edited:

BC11

Possibly related to R2-D2
Registered
Reaction score
You should do it! It's a task, but so rewarding.

And yes, I point out the parts of the hero's journey in film on my blog for luls and to show new writers a reliable plot format (yes, at the risk of them using it as a crutch.) For the most part it gives me an excuse to make fun of some of my favorite films, so I hope you will give me a multipass XD

:)

Of course! You can have Zorg's desk elephant, too. It needs a good home.

And I've decided I will re-read the stickied threads here and then offer up my time. I don't think I will ever be a line-by-line type of critiquer, but baby steps, right? I'll give time to one person rather than spread it out everywhere.

It would be nice if this thread didn't degenerate into he said/she said because, honestly, the positivity is refreshing.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
blown out of proportion. If someone is using inflammatory language such as "you are pissing me off" and it's all because someone decided to share some positivity, then yes, I'm going to suggest you walk away for your own health, as there are way too many stressors in life for this to be one of them. Whether they decide to take a break is up to them.

When a moderator tells you that you need to pay attention to how you're expressing yourself on AW; pay attention.

Let me make it clearer.

You don't own threads. You don't get to tell other posters how to post.

Feel free to PM a moderator, or the owner if you have a question.

Use the
report.gif
report post button.

You don't get to debate moderators in thread. You will be courteous here.

If the mods of this particular forum think this discussion has merit, they're welcome to unlock it.

For my part, it's pretty clear that this thread is not terribly helpful.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

Evee.

If you feel the need to respond negatively to a moderator's comment in this way, take it to PM.

I agree with previous posters that you've misunderstood the reasoning behind the "why I won't beta-read..." thread. You might like to read the first page or two in that thread if you haven't already done so.

I'm going to lock this thread now, pending the room mods' review.

Status
Not open for further replies.