The Kingfisher Has Landed

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Congratulations on the Nebula! I went and found Jackalope Wives online at the Apex website, and it was an enjoyable read. (Though I shouldn't have read it before bed-- I ended up with an odd, semi-related dream).

I need to pick up one of your actual books sometime. Do you plan to release a print version of them? :)

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Thank you!

I haven't had plans to do print versions myself, partly because I cling to the notion that some small press somewhere will hop on it, partly because making them look good via Createspace will require more energy than I currently have to give.

Seventh Bride will get a print version via Amazon come November, though!

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Good luck with getting a small press interested in the print versions. :)

I'll have to keep an eye out for when the Seventh Bride comes out in paperback. :-D

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
June Totals

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 1663
D2D: 49
Smashwords: 24
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 1736

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 562
D2D: 11
Smashwords: 8
PDF Direct Sales: 0
Total: 581

Toad Words
Kindle: 212
D2D: 4
Smashwords: 3
Total: 219

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 189
Smashwords: 10
Total: 199

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 3083
Seventh Bride:
Toad Words: 2652
Nine Goblins: 3815

...huh. Best month of self-pub ever, and that's even with Bride continuing down. Both Toad and Goblins got a substantial bump. It's looking like sales of Bryony are up about 10% in the first two months from where Bride was (and given that Bride was a Kindle Daily Deal over Cyber Monday, which Bryony hasn't been, that's really really good.) I'm cautiously optimistic that my fanbase is increasing past the readers of my occasional blog.

While it's not the huge honking one-time checks of my trade deals, Bride is still literally paying all my bills, eight months after release. The goblins of the Whinin' Nineteenth continue to buy me groceries, two and a half YEARS later. I feel weirdly grateful to all my creations, as if they're taking care of me.

(Also, thank heavens for this thread! My agent came back to me and asked about sales yesterday--we're negotiating to sell audiobook rights for one of 'em--and I was able to pull it up and go "Yes! Sales are up X amount!" with a minimum of flailing.)

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
July Totals

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 749
D2D: 26
Smashwords: 5
Total: 780

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 590
D2D: 19
Total: 612

Toad Words
Kindle: 131
D2D: 1
Smashwords: 2
Total: 134

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 146
Smashwords: 9
Total: 155

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 3863
Seventh Bride:
Toad Words: 2786
Nine Goblins: 3970

Obviously sales of Bryony went way down over last month. But we're still a good bit above where we were in April, so stuff is still benefiting from the bump. Three months out, Bryony is selling very close to what Bride did, but granted that it was over the summer doldrums rather than the Christmas season, and granted that Bride had the Amazon Kindle Deal thing going on, I think it's a rousing success.

Almost everything's down overall, as the new release slides back into memory, but Bride actually tacked on a few more sales over last month, and I really can't cry about the totals at all.

The Bride re-release in trade hits in November, and I haven't got the foggiest idea WHAT that will do as far as sales go. I'm hoping to have the next novel after that out in February--a retelling of the Snow Queen--but it's a weird book even by my standards and I am starting to feel the oh-god-let-this-not-be-a-career-killer nerves about it.

Oh well. Onward! Upward! Something like that!

Last edited:

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
August Totals

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 534
D2D: 21
Total: 564

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 463
D2D: 19
Smashwords: 11
Total: 493

Toad Words
Kindle: 132
D2D: 9
Smashwords: 7
Total: 148

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 118
Smashwords: 15
Total: 133

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 4428
Seventh Bride:
Toad Words: 2934
Nine Goblins: 4103

Slide downward continues. I don't anticipate a jump until November, and October may be really low, since I'll be pulling Bride before the re-release, and Bride's usually good for about a thousand dollars worth of sales a month.

Nevertheless, it's not terrible. It feels like a drop off, because Bride did so well for so long, but compared to sales before what was arguably my first big hit under the pen-name, it's really pretty solid. Toad Words keeps on trucking away, bringing home the groceries, Nine Goblins keeps me in cat litter and beagle meds, and Bryony more than pays the rent. I'm not quite at the point where I could make a living just on self-pub work--the tax bill is looming on the horizon, the beagle's health issues are legend, and I have a kid brother who's probably going to get into an expensive college--but we're rapidly moving to "self-pub pays the day-to-day bills and the trade books cover the big stuff" which has been my goal for a long time.

Also sold the audiobook rights to Bryony sort of out of the blue--my agent, who reps my trade work, is bemused but happy to rep all these contracts--so I'm happy to see that one getting an audiobook. No idea what the sales will look like, but there's an advance and that's nothing to sneeze at!

Last edited:

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on continued sales of the books and the audiobook deal. Your continued success inspires me.

(Also congrats and condolences on being on that Hugo top nominees list and congrats on your Alfie.)

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Haha. That is funny. But, hey, one of the top names in the genre did give you an award, so why not mention it?

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
September Totals

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 365
D2D: 16
Smashwords: 1
PDF Direct Sales: 1
Total: 383

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 358
D2D: 15
Total: 376

Toad Words
Kindle: 100
D2D: 11
Total: 115

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 80
Smashwords: 6
Total: 87

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 4811
Seventh Bride:
Toad Words: 3049
Nine Goblins: 4190

Well, September pretty well fell off a cliff. Down by a third or so, across the board. (Have heard that this isn't just me, though.) Hoping that November's release of Bride will kick things back up a notch!

Last edited:

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Still numbers I'd like to have. And, yes, I've heard that August/September were both pretty ugly across the board.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
October Totals

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 260
D2D: 10
Total: 272

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 241
D2D: 0
Smashwords: 0
Total: 241

Toad Words
Kindle: 82
D2D: 2
Total: 87

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 63
Total: 63

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 5083
Seventh Bride:
Toad Words: 3136
Nine Goblins: 4253

Well, those numbers were scary all right! Ouch. Then again, we're coming up on over a full year of self-pub paying the rent. And while it may not be covering all my living expenses these last few months (the beagle's meds are expensive!) it'd still be pretty churlish to complain.

I've pulled Bride off everything but Amazon in anticipation of the re-release (November 24th) by 47North. I doubt the knock-on sales of the last week will be enough to pull November out of more-of-the-same as this month (although Black Friday did make all the difference last year!) but hopefully it'll be a big enough release to make December more impressive.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
November Sales

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 268
D2D: 8
Total: 279

Seventh Bride
Kindle: 175
D2D: 1
Total: 176

Toad Words
Kindle: 76
D2D: 4
Total: 82

Nine Goblins
Total: 89

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 5362
Seventh Bride:
Toad Words: 3218
Nine Goblins: 4324

Things held remarkably steady last month. While the first part of the month continued to slide, since Bride's 47North release on the 24th, sales have trended slowly up on Bryony, with a big jump on Cyber Monday. Plus we got a really good review for Bride in NPR, which mentioned a couple other pieces, so hopefully that helps, too.

This is the last month where I'll list Bride sales, since it's now in the hands of the publisher. (Though I may make a note when or if the sales total exceeds the lifetime sales as self-pub, just because!)

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
December Sales

I have been woefully remiss on this one--busy few weeks...

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 260
D2D: 22
Smashwords: 7
Total: 289

Seventh Bride (now trade published and so no longer being listed--these were two old sales trickling in)
Total: 2

Toad Words
D2D: 8
Smashwords: 6
Total: 94

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 85
Smashwords: 8
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 93

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 5651
Seventh Bride:
Toad Words: 3312
Nine Goblins: 4417

Gotta admit, was hoping that the re-release of Bride in trade would kick up the rest of sales a bunch. (A woman can dream!) But it kept everything steady, anyhow, which is not to be sneezed at, given that all of those books are essentially backlist at this point.

And next month, I'll have The Raven & The Reindeer out, which should do the usual spike on the sales of other books. Onward!

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Yesterday was release day for The Raven & The Reindeer, and a whopping 465 sales in the first 24 hours! New personal best, and an improvement over Bryony's launch by nearly a hundred sales!

I gotta crunch the January numbers, which are fairly dismal, but things should be looking up this month!

Also, I must be getting better at this publishing thing, because I hardly panicked at all this time!

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
January Totals

Thank you all for the kind words! At the time of this writing, we've cracked 700 copies for Raven in four days--not too shabby!

But now, the dismal business of January...

Bryony & Roses
Kindle: 182
D2D: 16
Total: 198

Toad Words
Kindle: 65
Smashwords: 1
Total: 68

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 71
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 74

Total Sales to Date
Bryony & Roses: 5849
Toad Words: 3380
Nine Goblins: 4491

Well, let's just say I'm really really glad that Raven's having such a good launch! And that, for whatever weird reason, nothing's doing more than nudging the backlist recently. I got used to a new release really kicking up sales of the backlist, but the re-release of Bride and the new release of Raven haven't moved the needle at all. Go figure.

Still, this is the first month since it came out last May that Bryony hasn't paid the rent, so I feel like a bit of an ingrate complaining. Any book that supports me for eight months deserves only praise, even if it's finally sliding down to buying groceries.

(Weirdly enough, looking at the Amazon sales, the only thing getting a bump at the moment is Toad Words. No idea why that would be the case. I'm not complaining--anthologies always sell poorly, and anything that kicks it up a notch is awesome! It's just odd.)