The Kingfisher Has Landed

CharlesXav

Registered
Reaction score
It was honestly amazing to read through this thread fully and see your journey. Congratulations RedWombat!

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
@KiwiChick - Awesome! Thank you!

Well, here we are at the one week mark, and the total for Raven is...drumroll please...

1009 copies sold!

*does a little dance*

Well up from Bryony's release, and from Bride before it. Victory!

(I realize that these 150 copy jumps are small potatoes by many standards, but I'm still small enough self-pub potatoes that I get excited. Plus, that's like three months worth of rent, and that is nothing to sneeze at...)

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Small potatoes? Pfft! Those are titanic tubers!

Go Wombat! You're doing awesome!

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Dang RedWombat! Now I want your sales AND your rent!

Congrats on the continued success.

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
North Carolina? What's wrong with that? I have family in Wilmington and Jacksonville...oh, right. Nevermind. :)

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
February Totals

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 1260
D2D: 129
Smashwords: 115
PDF Direct Sales: 2
Total:1506

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 272
D2D: 27
Smashwords: 10
PDF Direct Sales: 0
Total: 309

Toad Words
Kindle: 106
D2D: 12
Smashwords: 8
Total: 126

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 98
Smashwords: 15
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 113

Total Sales to Date
Raven & Reindeer: 1506
Bryony & Roses: 6158
Toad Words: 3506
Nine Goblins: 4604

And there's that bump I was hoping for! A strong launch for Reindeer, (probably around equal to Bryony's, given that it had an extra week of sales, but a better start out of the gate) and it kicked everything back up. How hard, it's tough to say--in addition to the new book, 47North's edition of Bride went on Kindle sale and spiked, and Bryony got a review on Dear Author, to the tune of nearly 75 sales, so it was a pretty good month all around. Bryony went back to paying rent after a month off and the two smaller books brought home groceries and beagle meds.

Not complaining in the slightest here. I have gotten some really lovely notes from readers on Reindeer, and I feel warm and fuzzy about it all.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
March & April

...and I missed March. Oh man, book tours destroy me.

March:

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 390
D2D: 30
Smashwords: 11
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 431

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 162
Smashwords: 1
Total: 175

Toad Words
Kindle: 68
D2D: 10
Smashwords: 2
Total: 80

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 76
Smashwords: 3
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 79

April:

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 446
D2D: 21
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 470

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 139
Total: 152

Toad Words
Kindle: 65
D2D: 2
Smashwords: 0
Total: 67

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 64
Smashwords: 4
Total: 68

Total Sales to Date
Raven & Reindeer: 2407
Bryony & Roses: 6485
Toad Words: 3653
Nine Goblins: 4751

I have given up any attempt at predicting anything. Sales have been down for a lot of people, self included, Bryony has slid down into grocery money instead of rent, but Raven's taken up some slack there. Clearly I need to finish another book and put it out...in my copious spare time...

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to see the continued sales.

A few random questions for you:
-Have you ever thought of going direct through Kobo or Apple? I've heard with both that sales can increase if you're direct instead of through D2D or Smashwords.
-What are your thoughts on staying wide? I see that about 10% of your sales come from wide. Have you ever thought about going exclusive with Amazon for a bit? (I ask this as I'm coming up on a new novel release and I'm at about the same percentage wide vs. Amazon, although not near your total sales numbers.)

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Have I ever told you that I like your way of doing stats? Because I like your way of doing stats.

Funny thing is, you're one of my benchmarks. You're not exactly my genre, but close enough. I'm not going to muck around with going wide until your Kindle says go down and your other sales go up. :D

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Oh, hey, interesting questions! And wow, glad to help!

Ah...hmm. I have a single Amazon exclusive that I don't note through here, because it's via 47North, and it's done well, but it's also being promoted by them, so it's not really a viable data point.

Honestly, the main reason I don't go exclusive is because I have a lot of readers who can't or won't do Amazon, and I have no desire to lose them. They're mostly readers who have been with me for literally decades, and I feel an obligation to make stuff available as widely as I can for them.

I don't do direct because...well, it's a pain in the arse. My sales are so minimal via other routes that I just don't feel like chasing it--if I had to dig through two or three more platforms, even if they literally doubled my sales on those platforms, it would be...well, look at Toad Words, it managed a whole two sales last month via D2D. Even if we pretend one of those wasn't iBooks (and it was) I just don't see the cost-effectiveness of personally keeping track of two more platforms at my current sales levels.

One of the hardest things I've had to learn recently is that my time is more valuable writing books than keeping them! So for example, I've recently outsourced my print sale business, even though I take a paycut by not selling direct, because I don't think I'll be on my deathbed wishing I spent more time fighting with my printer. A bulk uploading platform is massively worth it to me just to not deal with the hassle these days.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
May Totals (Belated yet again)

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 321
D2D: 20
Smashwords: 5
Total: 346

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 114
D2D: 16
Total: 134

Toad Words
Kindle: 61
D2D: 5
Total: 69

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 60
Smashwords: 6
Total: 66

Total Sales to Date
Raven & Reindeer: 2753
Bryony & Roses: 6619
Toad Words: 3722
Nine Goblins: 4817

I've had better months. Clearly I gotta get a new book out soon...it seems like one JUST came out, but that was actually in February, so we're about to hit the six month mark or so. I'm at least a few months out from a new one, though, so I'm scrabbling a bit. (Meanwhile I have a zillion children's books in the works, so it's not like I'm not selling books, just not under this pen-name!)

On the bright side, Amazon's version of Seventh Bride is a Kindle deal in the US this month, which is hopefully having a little bit of a knock-on effect.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
June & July

In my defense, there was a LOT of travel...

June:

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 341
D2D: 33
Smashwords: 8
Total: 382

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 179
D2D: 18
Total: 200

Toad Words
Kindle: 101
D2D: 8
Total: 111

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 69
Total: 74

July:

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 214
D2D: 18
Smashwords: 7
Total: 239

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 162
D2D: 9
Total: 173

Toad Words
Kindle: 60
D2D: 4
Total: 64

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 49
Total: 54

Total Sales to Date
Raven & Reindeer: 3374
Bryony & Roses: 6992
Toad Words: 3897
Nine Goblins: 4945

June picked up a smidge, July slid back down. This has not been a great summer for sales, overall, (okay, it's frankly been bad to the point of apocalyptic) but self-pub paid the rent for another month or two. And even my long-ago backlist and my anthology bought a round of groceries, so I shouldn't complain. The books are working hard!

August is gonna be ugly, though. Fortunately, September cometh, and I've got a new web serial coming out in September, so hopefully that'll get things moving a bit.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
August & September

August:

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 148
D2D: 15
Total: 167

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 95
Total: 107

Toad Words
Kindle: 44
Total: 53

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 57
Total: 63

September:

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 108
D2D: 13
Total: 123

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 84
D2D: 11
Total: 98

Toad Words
Kindle: 38
D2D: 3
Total: 44

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 47
Total: 53

Total Sales to Date
Raven & Reindeer: 3664
Bryony & Roses: 7197
Toad Words: 3994
Nine Goblins: 5061

Well, it's a good thing I don't have to dig ditches to supplement my living, or else the last few months would be really hard on my back. Can safely say that everything has moved firmly to the backlist now. I am doing a web-serial, "Summer in Orcus" which I am hoping will drive a little traffic to the books, but it's actually mostly paying dividends in Patreon income, which has stepped in to fill some of the gap from the sales slump. (And I'm very okay with that!)

I dunno. Last year was so amazing and this year's been rough on nearly every self-pub author I know. I really gotta bring out another book once the web-serial wraps in January, which seems like a bit of a long-shot, but stranger things have happened. I'm not sure if it's a general trend or if some years are just good and some are bad and that's life...

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
This year was going fine for me up until summer. Everything kind of pooped out then, and hasn't quite recovered.

Can't compare it to last year, my first big release then was November so the year was mostly done...

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
October Sales

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 94
Total: 106

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 72
D2D: 4
Total: 79

Toad Words
Kindle: 29
Total: 31

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 28
Total: 29

Total Sales to Date
Raven & Reindeer: 3770
Bryony & Roses: 7276
Toad Words: 4025
Nine Goblins: 5090

Mama always warned me there'd be months like this... *sings off-key*

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Ok. We're gonna call this one "I got really depressed after the election and then the recordkeeping kinda went to hell."

Nevertheless, I have just published "Summer in Orcus" which I released as a web serial last fall. 90K, Patreon supported. It was free to read, and Patreon subscribers got a free ebook.

This is where it's hard to estimate--how many people upped their Patreon because it was available? How many decided to wait for the ebook? How many would have supported the Patreon anyway? I have no way of telling. Nevertheless, I'd say I probably made around $2000 from the Patreon that I can trace to this particular book. Which, as advances go, is low for trade pub, but not bad at all for small press, so calling it good!

Now, to try and write up the last two months of sales...

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
November & December Sales

November:

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 261
Total: 270

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 63
D2D: 5
Total: 70

Toad Words
Kindle: 30
D2D: 6
Total: 37

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 26
Total: 28

December

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 141
D2D: 13
Total: 158

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 75
Total: 84

Toad Words
Kindle: 46
D2D: 0
Total: 47

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 30
Total: 36

Total Sales to Date
Raven & Reindeer: 4198
Bryony & Roses: 7430
Toad Words: 4109
Nine Goblins: 5154

Whew! Caught up!

Well, sales are what they are--not that much of a slump, actually, from October (although given that October was pretty dismal, that's not saying much!) Big jump for Reindeer in November, when the price was dropped as part of a promo with a group of fantasy romance authors--moved like 150 copies that way, though of course the royalties were way down as well. Still, hopefully it got some people hooked!

Somewhat confusing matters overall, a lovely print volume, The Halcyon Fairy Book, was published in January by NEFSA, which included the collection Toad Words. 669 copies printed, sold at Arisia and online, and I got a handsome little royalty check. I have absolutely no idea how one factors that into things, except that Toad Words brought home the bacon in January. As an anthology, it's always been my lowest earner (and I expected that! It's cool!) so what amounted to a sudden $1300 windfall from it makes me very happy indeed. That's not exactly self-pub income, but on the other hand, the book wouldn't exist if I hadn't written Toad Words already, so I figure it's worth mentioning here.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
January & February

January

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 337
D2D: 28
Smashwords: 29
PDF Direct Sales: 2
Total: 396

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 109
D2D: 14
Total: 126

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 85
D2D: 17
Total: 103

Toad Words
Kindle: 36
Total: 43

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 31
Total: 37

February

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 422
D2D: 32
Smashwords: 19
PDF Direct Sales: 1
Total: 474

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 93
Total: 109

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 84
D2D: 9
Total: 95

Toad Words
Kindle: 48
Total: 52

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 64
Smashwords: 7
Total: 71

Total Sales to Date

Summer in Orcus:
870Raven & Reindeer: 4433
Bryony & Roses: 7628
Toad Words: 4204
Nine Goblins: 5262

Some day, O internet, I will not get distracted by shiny objects at the end of the month and will do this promptly!

This batch sees the release of a brand new book, Summer in Orcus. It was on my Patreon first, and now is loose in the world. I was expecting to see a real sales hit because of the Patreon thing, but while the initial bump was halved, probably because my buy-the-first-day fans are all on Patreon already, sales have still been rather better than I expected. It's as if rather than having a huge opening, it moved immediately into the second month of sales. And it kicked sales of the backlist up a little bit, too. (I am not sure why Nine Goblins suddenly experienced a resurgence of sales in February--reviewed somewhere, I assume--but I'm also not complaining! Way to bring home the groceries, Goblins!)

We're not quite back to I-can-live-on-self-pub money, but with the addition of Patreon, it's definitely a lot better than it had been. Hoping to get a novella out in the next few months, rather than go a year between releases this time!

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, no worries if updates are late. Fringe benefit is you can use the Amazon report numbers, rather than the dashboard ones. I've noticed that for me the dashboard is off occasionally... never by much, but there's some arcane algorithm there which skews things by a few copies.

Have you encountered this before?

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to drop by and say congrats on the Hugo nomination. Not the first, hopefully not the last. Good luck!

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
2017 Got Away From Me

Ok, I won't lie, between the election I was depressed and then I went awhile without doing the report and then the sheer magnitude of catching up was so dire that I ignored it. Which was very bad of me because I had a new book come out and everything, and I have just kinda...not paid attention.

No more! Time for a massive update! Recordkeeping is the key to personal success! Or something!

...oy.

So turns out the easiest way to do this was just to find the year's sales to date and add it all up against the December totals at the end. (Shoutout to Smashwords for the worse formatted of the spreadsheets! It takes effort to excel in this field, but you went the extra mile to make it unreadable!)

First Eight Months 2017:

Jackalope Wives:
Kindle: 1932
D2D: 95
Smashwords: 57
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 2084

Summer in Orcus
Kindle: 3008
D2D: 139
Smashwords: 61
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 3208

Raven & Reindeer
Kindle: 877
D2D: 66
Smashwords: 26
PDF Direct Sales:
Total: 969

Bryony & Roses

Kindle: 697
D2D: 63
Smashwords: 18
Total: 778

Toad Words
Kindle: 412
D2D: 29
Total: 447

Nine Goblins
Kindle: 441
Smashwords: 33
Total: 474

Total Sales to Date
Jackalope Wives:2084
Summer in Orcus:
Raven & Reindeer:
Bryony & Roses: 8208
Toad Words: 4556
Nine Goblins: 5628

You know, I'd like to complain, there's definitely been a downturn in e-books since I started and all but...frankly, this isn't bad. Summer in Orcus was a release of a free web serial and it still paid my rent for the entire eight months listed there, not including all the people it brought it to my Patreon and the Kickstarter we ran for an illustrated print volume. Nine Goblins and Toad Words came out four years and three years ago respectively, and they STILL paid a month of rent each, which at this point makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about the stories and how they're still working hard this far in. Bryony and Raven are both firmly backlist by now, but both of them pulled in a solid two months of rent and some extra grocery money.

(I find thinking of books in terms of rent makes me feel way better about the process. The numbers are very cold, but "rent" makes me feel like my books are taking care of me.)

Jackalope Wives, the most recent release, was almost all reprints, with only two brand new stories in it, and anthologies supposedly don't sell, and it went free to my Patreon people, and it STILL brought home five months worth of bacon. So y'know, that does not suck.

2015 was probably my peak self-pub year, but a lot of that was the success of Seventh Bride, which did miles better than my average, and which is still bringing home grocery money every month through various Amazon distribution things. I've got a new book in the works--if I'm lucky it'll be out next month and the sequel early in 2018--and I'm definitely hitting the "self-publishing pays the bills" stage. Which, going back through this thread, was all I ever really wanted! (Now, if the bills would kindly stop increasing, we might have a sustainable system on our hands...)

Last edited: