Greetings!

S Chapman

Registered
Reaction score
First off, what can I say? Wow, what an awesome community. I'm going to love being a part of all of this.

Okay, where to begin with myself. I'm a 39 year old married fella (no kids) living in Perth, Western Australia. I have a full-time minimum-wage job, I'm into home theatre (on a budget), computers (and games), and, more recently...

Writing.

Okay, that bit, though, is actually very recently, mind you. I've been kicking it, now, for maybe half a year - off and on.

My old man would say I've always had a flair for words. Actually, he would probably say 'a unique way of thinking' would be more accurate. It's funny, he's a high-school English teacher (or rather, he was - he's retired now), and I always hated him being a teacher when I was growing up. Absolutely couldn't stand it.

Of course, as it turns out, I'm loving it now.

I started on one story, and got about 7-8 chapters in before I let him know I was writing, and then sent some of it his way. And he liked it, but... I'd always had this other idea, and he got me thinking (and eventually, starting) on that, instead. And now, that's the focus.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, but for now, I'm gonna go post in that "post your first three sentences" thread in the novels forum.

Cheers guys & thanks for reading,
Simon

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Simon :hi:

Yep, this is an awesome community, all right :D Imo, it's the best online writing resource, free or paid. There's a wealth of information here, and it's easy to get lost at first, but i'm sure you'll know your way around the place in no time :)

See you around the boards!

S Chapman

Registered
Reaction score
There's a wealth of information here, and it's easy to get lost at first, but i'm sure you'll know your way around the place in no time :)

Yeah, I noticed. While waiting for my account to be approved, I start reading through the large "learn writing with uncle jim" threads.

And... phew. I'll never get any writing of my own done, at this rate. It's fabulous advice though, even though certain techniques that work for some may not necessarily do so for others.

This is just a great place to be though :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

S Chapman

Registered
Reaction score
Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts.

Thanks mate. This is good to know. I'd have to say, though, that it's probably unlikely that I'll take advantage of the ability to do that, but it's nice to know it's there. Either way, I have a LOT more work ahead of me first, though :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yeah, I noticed. While waiting for my account to be approved, I start reading through the large "learn writing with uncle jim" threads.

And... phew. I'll never get any writing of my own done, at this rate. It's fabulous advice though, even though certain techniques that work for some may not necessarily do so for others.
Yeah, when i first joined i found myself getting lost in threads like that one, too. And certainly, different things work for different writers (and, personally, i've found that sometimes one thing that works for one project doesn't work for the next project).

This is just a great place to be though :)
It sure is! :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I hope you find success with your new-found interest in writing.

Ybmug

once a little green slab of clay
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Simon, warm welcome from a fellow newbie. :)

Elias Zapple

Elias Zapple
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eliaszapple.com
Hello! I've been to Perth. I melted and had to be peeled off the pavement. Somebody tried to add me as a topping to a pizza but I refused.