• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Past vs. present tense as it applies to prose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the derail.

I write stuff that interests people and how well the flow works.

So you write about how "the flow" works? :Huh:

It's, "I write stories that flow well and intrigue people". (You can use "interest", it just always sounds a bit sideways to me)

You are responsible for your education. Period. Not the teachers that tried to teach you, or the school you attended.
Granted, you are allowed moments of ignorance--because that's how we all learn. This thread is/was one of those moments.

Grammar is the basis of communications--which is the basis of writing. If the reader can't make heads or tails of what you're trying to tell them, then what's the use of even writing it down? It's not hard to learn, since it's been hammered into your head since you were born.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" -- Mark Twain.

jackbruns28

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the derail.

So you write about how "the flow" works? :Huh:

It's, "I write stories that flow well and intrigue people". (You can use "interest", it just always sounds a bit sideways to me)

You are responsible for your education. Period. Not the teachers that tried to teach you, or the school you attended.
Granted, you are allowed moments of ignorance--because that's how we all learn. This thread is/was one of those moments.

Grammar is the basis of communications--which is the basis of writing. If the reader can't make heads or tails of what you're trying to tell them, then what's the use of even writing it down? It's not hard to learn, since it's been hammered into your head since you were born.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" -- Mark Twain.

Sheesh. I think it was a mistake coming here, that's for sure. First post right out of the bat, and the grammar nazi's make their appearance. Honestly, I'm just a working class slob just trying to better myself and find something I enjoy doing that other people might like.

First off, I do take responsibility for what I do. It's just that I was tired when I made that post and I have a lot on my plate.

Second, I've been diagnosed with severe social anxiety so I forget stuff...a lot. It comes with the territory when panic attacks creep up on me.

But hey, if it makes you feel any better, then I'm gone. I certainly don't feel the need to come onto this forum and be ganged up on by a bunch of "writers" who's biggest claim to fame is..................what? Thank you, I thought so. You're no better than I am pal. Just remember that.

Last edited:

Katana

On the edge...
Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking to become published (and I'm not talking self-published), you'll have no choice be to study and perfect the rules of grammar. There is too much competition out there. Too many manuscripts will have superb construction, leaving you with rejections that will paper walls. Agents and editors want what doesn't need much work (where possible). Those manuscripts exist, and yours won't stand a chance against them. That's just the hard truth.

If you're writing only for yourself and others to enjoy for free, no problem. Write how you want to. But if you want to be published the traditional way, you should invest in good grammar books and practice, practice, practice. Good luck, and please stick around and learn from the wealth of knowledge here. There are many who are in the same boat as you. :)

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to take it so personally, ya know...

Anyways, what J. Marks said.

Take what you wish, do what you wish; we ain't forcing you to anything at all.

Last edited:

Nina Kaytel

I spell Gray with an 'E''
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I learned in the public education system was how evil the student body and faculty were in general. You may criticize me for use of grammar, but until you actually research just how terrible the educational facilities are in California, then it's easy to pass judgement on other writers who came from that.

I'm sorry this is not an excuse. It's just not. I know a kid from one of the top ranked worst schools in the country, where he spent hours at home self-educating to pass his SATS. Now he is in a top ranked college. I came on to this forum missing basic rules. I use another forum where they pointed out more rules I didn't know, but I am learning. I have books that go over details of grammatical rules, I have books on creative writing its self. You don't stop learning after Highschool. Unless you want to. People don't want to read a novel that is self-indulgent to the writer, full of errors that make them stop and stumble. Confusion is not interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.