Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] Wells Arms Literary

practical experience, FTW JoyMC's Avatar

[Agency] Wells Arms Literary

I didn't see a thread for this agency yet, so thought I'd start one, since I just got a full request.

Victoria Wells Arms just opened her agency last month, but after a long and impressive editorial career. http://wellsarms.com/about.html Jennifer Laughran enthusiastically endorsed her on Twitter.

From the website:

We focus on books for readers of all ages, and we particularly love board books, picture books, readers, chapter books, middle grade, and young adult fiction, both authors and illustrators.

We do not represent to the textbook, magazine, adult romance or fine art markets.

She was right around one month on her response time to my query (middle grade).

Has anyone else submitted to her?
    BLOOD WATER PAINT, spring 2018, Dutton Young Readers

I just queried her with my YA. Thanks. I'll try to remember to post her response time. Good luck with your full request!
    Visit my website!

Sockpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Saanen View Post
    I just queried her with my YA. Thanks. I'll try to remember to post her response time. Good luck with your full request!
    I sent a query on my Mystery/Thriller. Will update if I hear from her.

I sent my YA mystery yesterday. Thanks for pointing out this agency Joy.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

FIX ME Goodreads Giveaway

Want to read FIX ME right now?

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyMC View Post
    I didn't see a thread for this agency yet, so thought I'd start one, since I just got a full request.

Victoria Wells Arms just opened her agency last month, but after a long and impressive editorial career. http://wellsarms.com/about.html Jennifer Laughran enthusiastically endorsed her on Twitter.

From the website:

We focus on books for readers of all ages, and we particularly love board books, picture books, readers, chapter books, middle grade, and young adult fiction, both authors and illustrators.

We do not represent to the textbook, magazine, adult romance or fine art markets.

She was right around one month on her response time to my query (middle grade).

Has anyone else submitted to her?
    Congrats, Joy. Do you mind sharing your response
    time? I queried 10/6.

Sure, I queried 9/27 and got the request on 10/25, so she's right at the one month she mentions on website. Hopefully you hear soon!

I queried on 10/25 and got a full request today, 10/31 (well, technically late on 10/30 but I didn't check my email until after midnight). It's YA fantasy and she did say it may be too fantasy for her but that she'll give it a look.
    Visit my website!

Sockpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsScribe View Post
    I sent a query on my Mystery/Thriller. Will update if I hear from her.
    Got an rejection a few hours ago with this wording: "This sounds like terrific fun, but not really the kind of book I'd know how to represent."

So any adult mystery/thriller folks out there can scratch this agency off your list I guess.....

Sent the 25th and got an R yesterday (10-30) Good response time.

Good luck to the people that got the full reqs.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

FIX ME Goodreads Giveaway

Want to read FIX ME right now?

figuring it all out
    Thanks JoyMC. Good luck to all with requests. It looks like most people have gotten a response. I queried 10/6. Is anyone else still waiting?

!

Just wanted to point out that Ms. Wells Arms has had her first couple of sales. It seems she's taken a couple of the authors she's edited on as clients. Not bad for first sales

practical experience, FTW maracalone's Avatar
    I have a full out with this agent. Does anyone know if she is a non-responder to fulls?
    OMS-MG mystery--agented!
    TBoaWH-MG historical mystery--writing

I sometimes hiccup fire parumpdragon's Avatar
    I sent them a query today, we'll see if I get a response in the coming weeks
    A cute little bug :

Dear God, Thank you for keeping me together when I'm falling apart.

Goodreads

I'm a friend of Foo Bat - join the club!

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say. Lady MacBeth's Avatar
    I sent a query and never received a response.

I have a full with her too. She requested it around late October/early November last year and I haven't heard back. She has not responded to my polite nudge in March so I put her down as a no response.

No response=no to queries I can see (although I don't really like that policy either), but if an agent chooses to request the whole manuscript, you'd think they could at least carve out 15 seconds from their schedule to send a form rejection.
    Visit my website!

I JUST now TODAY tried to query Wells Arms Agency and my query was sent back as deliverable!!!!

Website
    Twitter
    Facebook
    ALL My Books
    Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight is---'An explosive mix of gangsters, guns, monsters, magic and mayhem, with dark and gritty action that right-hooks you from page one. Wonderful!' --- Suzanne McLeod, author of the Spellcrackers urban fantasy series.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Proofread, proofread, proofread

You mean...UNdeliverable?

Quote Originally Posted by Seikei View Post
    You mean...UNdeliverable?
    Yes, yes- undeliverable. It didn't go through at all. I tried it twice and my e-mail was bounced back both times.

Website
    Twitter
    Facebook
    ALL My Books
    Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight is---'An explosive mix of gangsters, guns, monsters, magic and mayhem, with dark and gritty action that right-hooks you from page one. Wonderful!' --- Suzanne McLeod, author of the Spellcrackers urban fantasy series.

requested ms. no reply

I sent a query for my YA novel 5/3/14. Got a request for a full two days later. Sometime in early September I sent a nudge essentially asking if she was still considering it. She said yes, but gave no indication how long it might be. Judging from what somebody said above, this may be her standard operating procedure, and I will just never get an answer. Certainly doesn't show much respect for writers.

12/5/13: As I expected, no reply. She hasn't been an agent very long and I think the job may be too much for her.
    Last edited by Seikei; 12-05-2014 at 09:13 PM.

practical experience, FTW VEHust's Avatar
    She requested my Full a week ago and I am super excited! Anyone have experience with her?
    Night Blooming: On sub
    Subject Entity YA Science Fiction: With the agent!

Rise of the Dragons YA Fantasy: Rewriting
    Bottled: Half-written, on hold
    Find me on my
    Website and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by VEHust View Post
    She requested my Full a week ago and I am super excited! Anyone have experience with her?
    Congrats! Back when she first started agenting, she requested my full, had it a few months, and never got back to me, even when I nudged with an offer of rep. She could have just been getting her feet under her, or she could be a non-responder, even with fulls. Good luck - I hope you hear from her!

Congratulations on the request! She requested my YA full after the Sept 2015 Pitmad, and got back to me about a month later with a pass. Very nice and professional, though she didn't give much in the way of feedback or specifics. All the sales I could find for her are PB or MG, but she does rep some YA authors.

I should be writing, not on AW.:-) kenpochick's Avatar
    I'm a client. She's been awesome to work with. :-)
    Find me on Twitter here
    "Time isn't a straight line. It's all... bumpy-wumpy. There's loads of boring stuff. Like Sundays and Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons. But now and then there are Saturdays. -The Doctor

Wells Arms Literary Agency

Quote Originally Posted by maracalone View Post
    I have a full out with this agent. Does anyone know if she is a non-responder to fulls?
    She asked for a full from me a couple years ago. I never got a reply, despite nudging her after about five months. Tells me she's lazy as well as rude.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: