How to fix running heads in Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prominent Critic

Registered
Reaction score
I’m self-publishing a novel, using Word. Trim size five and a quarter by eight. I used “Custom Size” in Word, got my margins fixed correctly, sides, top, and bottom. Mirror image gutter margins a bit wider.

But when I opened the headers to insert running headers, here’s what I got: Even number on right (I thought odd belonged on the right, or doesn’t it matter), but more importantly, no number at all in the left header.

I did check “Different First Page,” though there will probably be at least two pages preceding Page One – a title alone page, and the copyright page. Maybe that’s causing the problem, but how do I get “Two different pages” preceding Page One proper.

Thanks for any help.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Unless you created a custom page size, I don't think the header is matching your body text dimensions.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Not quite sure what you're asking, but have you tried creating a new section where the book itself starts and then telling Word to treat page numbering separate for the new section and start with numbering at page 1?

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
There should be a box to check under page layout for different odd and even pages. Then you'll need to format both headers separately, putting the page # on the right for odd pages and left for even pages.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
P.C.:

In a printed book, odd page numbers should be on the right, even on the left, just as you say.

But in the Word view, with two pages showing, the right hand page does show on the left and the left hand page shows on the right. Word can't display in book view, leaving the left hand side blank at the beginning of the book. You eventually get used to it. Trust your page numbers, not where the page is on the screen.

BTW, I'm currently re-formatting an already published paperback with a smaller font, and changing how the chapters divide. Word is giving me fits. What I'm doing for all new books is putting in running heads, even in the draft, as I'll want them in the final.

NDG

Status
Not open for further replies.