Security settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayfair

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
When I try to download a file, I get the message that my security settings are set too high to allow it. I've tried everything. I've disabled my virus protection and firewall. I even restored Firefox to default to remove all the add-ons. It didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have Windows 7 by the way. When I try to download with Internet Explorer, it still doesn't work, even although I get the warning that my security settings are set so low, it's placing the computer at risk.

Last edited:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
For goodness sake, don't disable AV and firewall! Put them back on!!!!

When did this start? After a Windows update? After downloading and installing some software? What was the last thing you downloaded, and when?

Is it that you can't start a download, or that you can't save the file? The latter simply involves file and folder permissions that can be changed.

Have you done a thorough scan for malware? If you don't have anything besides anti-virus (what species do you have?), you should try to get Malwarebytes -- download on some other computer and transfer the installer on a USB stick.

If nothing else works, you can try a system restore (NOT a reinstall!) going back to a restore point before the date on which the trouble started.

Mayfair

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
When I click on the file in the downloads, it displays the message: Blocked by your security zone policy. And I'm not sure exactly when this started, but it's been going on for a while. Something similar is happening in Windows Live Mail. I can't open an attachment there with IE. I have to save it, and then open it with Adobe Reader. I'm using Avira Antivirus and the Windows Firewall. I have turned them both back on. I wouldn't have opened a download if it had appeared in my document file before first scanning it with Avira. And I misspoke about what I did with Firefox. I actually just reset it.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Security zones are an Internet Explorer function, and the file browser in Windows, called just "Explorer," will use those settings. It's the Security tab in Internet Options. You can get to Internet Options through Internet Explorer, Tools menu (ALT+T on your keyboard). You can also bring up Internet Options via Control Panel. Switch to Small or Large Icons in the little "View By:" option, then everything is alphabetically listed.

When you click on the Security tab, you'll see four zones listed. Now, either you've inadvertantly set your local drive as untrusted, or your "Local Intranet" security is dialed all the way up. Dial Local Intranet all the way down and see if anything changes.

Mayfair

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I have the IE settings on Medium, the local Intranet on low, and it warns me that this could put my computer at risk. But still, I cannot download a file. It states that my security settings are too high. I can't understand it.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Hmm... OK. There's a button in the Security tab (or should be) that states "Reset all zones to default level."

See what happens after you click that.

Mayfair

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I tried that just now but it didn't make any difference. When I use Firefox and Chrome, it's the same thing as well.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
What antivirus are you using?

It could be Windows Firewall, but it's usually only configured to stop traffic you don't originate. I'll see what I can find.

Do you know if your username is an administrator user on that computer?

ETA: Can you get me the exact text of the message you see?

Mayfair

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I have Windows Firewall, also Avira. I'm not sure about the administrator name. There's just me using this computer, and I bought it brand new. I recall it did insist I use some sort of a name and that's what I did. Not sure why they do that, but it's a nuisance.

P.S. I just checked the Users and found the administrator name (ABC) is different from the user name that shows up in files. (Jane) So I changed it to Jane. This is nuts. "Blocked by your security zone policy," is the exact message I'm getting.

I also reset the download folder, and the problem remains.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
OK, there are some security settings that may depend on the exact version of Windows 7 that you have.

Pick an Internet Explorer icon (taskbar, desktop, doesn't matter which one). RIGHT-click it. Do you see an option to "Run as Administrator"? Click that. Does it ask you for a password? Or do you simply get a popup that wants to confirm this?

Confirm it.

Now try a download. See what happens.

Mayfair

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I tried that but the administrator option doesn't appear. I did go into the administrator section though, and I don't have a password. I don't know if this would make any difference or not.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
OK. Odd, but that could be based on your version of Windows 7. Actually, Microsoft calls it the "edition." Work gives me a computer with "Windows 7 Enterprise."

If you go to Control Panel, and select "System," you'll see the edition listed toward the top. Same screen you get if you right-click "Computer" and click Properties. What edition do you have?

I think this is based on a security policy tool in Windows 7, but I'm looking through the options there. There are several dozen.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Found this page. LOTTA steps to walk through. See what you find.

What version of Mozilla are you using?

Mayfair

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
OK. Odd, but that could be based on your version of Windows 7. Actually, Microsoft calls it the "edition." Work gives me a computer with "Windows 7 Enterprise."

If you go to Control Panel, and select "System," you'll see the edition listed toward the top. Same screen you get if you right-click "Computer" and click Properties. What edition do you have?

I think this is based on a security policy tool in Windows 7, but I'm looking through the options there. There are several dozen.
I just checked. I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I'm finding several sites that report Firefox v3 is having troubles like this. I think your version of Mozilla is based on Firefox 3.

Try the steps on this page: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_save_or_download_files

See if any of those steps works. I see three steps that you've already tried, but some others that are worth a try as well.

Mayfair

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'll do that. And thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated. I don't think it can be Firefox though, because the same thing is happening in both Internet Explorer and Chrome.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Possibly. Some of those steps involve "universal" settings, though. I'm not certain, but I think one of them will work.

Mayfair

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Success at last! This was about the last thing I tried and it worked! I had it set to Disable and I changed it to Prompt. Voila, as simple as that and now I can (finally) download files again. Thanks again for all the help and support.

"Method 2:
Set a custom level for security in the Internet zone. Go to "Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Security (tab) -> Internet" (as explained above). If security is set to "High", or if you have customized the Internet zone settings, select "Custom level..." and change the single option, "Launching Applications and Unsafe Files" from 'Disable' to 'Prompt (recommended)'."

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Thar ye go. :D

God to hear you found it.

Little sucker is buried in there pretty good, ain't it?

Mayfair

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thar ye go. :D

God to hear you found it.

Little sucker is buried in there pretty good, ain't it?
I tell you I was ready to call in a tech, because nothing I tried had so far worked, but the thought of their $100 plus fee stopped me.

I thought I'd mention here also, that in the course of my troubleshooting I found something really neat. Firefox had stored all my passwords. Most people probably know about this feature, and yet by all the passwords that seem to be forgotten perhaps not. Either way, I thought I'd pass it along.

Tools...Options...Security...Saved Passwords

Beside the password, it has the web address of the site you signed up with and the name you used on it as well. When I think of all the times I forgot a password, and hey, it was right there at my fingertips all the time. More in the garden grows, than the gardener knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.