Writing while sick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
How do you do it? lol I got my first cold in two years and I'm a helluva time trying to focus on my writing. Hell, I'm having a hard time focusing on making a coherent sentence.

What do you do? Do you muddle through, or take a break until you feel better?

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
If it's bad enough that I'd take time off work, I take time off writing. Otherwise, I write, but am very gentle on myself, allowing myself to stop after 100 words if I want, or just writing *stuff* not relating to any projects. Once I'm in the recovery phase of any illness, I get bored easily so I spend time writing just to keep myself from getting stir-crazy.

But, I have learned my lesson about pushing myself too hard. It's such a personal thing. Lots of people are 'force yourself through' types, which is fine, but trying to follow that path when it came to physical and mental ilnesses did me a lot of harm.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I take a break, if I can. Otherwise brain fog takes over and when I read back
on what I attempted to write, I laugh so hard I start coughing,
which then makes it hard to breathe,
which then lands me back at square one of feeling miserable.

Hope you feel better soon! :)

Now go rest.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the person. I can power through a cold with ease, others need a couple days of laying face down in the sheets with a tanker of chicken soup and truckload of tissues.

If you can't think straight, then don't write. Abide your time by reading instead.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
That is certainly a novel excuse to watch the Cardinals in the World Series. Tell me if it works.

Seriously though, do what you feel like. From experience, what would take a couple of hours while "normal" might take all day under the weather. It is sometimes more efficient to wait till the malignant germs pass along on their way to Boston or where ever they go.....

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
Sometimes when I'm sick, I feel like doing nothing. I screw around on the Internet, I play video games, sleep, that's it.

Other times, I write. I was sick for a week last spring and wrote three short stories inspired by my fever dreams. It was a silver lining, to be sure.

If you feel cruddy and unfocused, but still want to write, take a break from your current projects and mess around with something else.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on how sick I am. If I can manage it, I will write. If I can't, I will read. Being sick in bed (or in a hot bath, which will clear your sinuses) is a great way to catch up on reading. But your health is first and foremost. Don't forget that. Hope you feel better soon.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm sick, I keep thinking about my characters getting sick and lazing around in bed.

I normally take a break, but I don't really stick to a strict writing schedule to begin with. Writing is a pastime for me, not a job, so I don't treat it like a job.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Writers write. I feel no more miserable writing when I'm sick than I do when I'm lying around sick. I usually feel better because writing takes my mind off how I feel. So if I can write, I do.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
That is certainly a novel excuse to watch the Cardinals in the World Series. Tell me if it works.

Seriously though, do what you feel like. From experience, what would take a couple of hours while "normal" might take all day under the weather. It is sometimes more efficient to wait till the malignant germs pass along on their way to Boston or where ever they go.....

Now I remember why I love you! CARDS!!!!!!!

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally feeling human today, but still not 100%. I might actually try to write a little before the kids get home.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
A second vote for fever dreams. I'd stopped writing original fiction for over ten years (no inspiration, too many early rejections, too busy with other career, etc) until June of 2009. I suffered through a very interesting bout of what we think was H1N1, and came out of it with some staggeringly intense, relatively coherent dream-stories, including the continuation to something I'd trunked years earlier. I scribbled down everything I could remember, and haven't stopped writing since.

But writing while out of my head sick? Not gonna happen. I'm a whiny baby.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
That is certainly a novel excuse to watch the Cardinals Red Sox in the World Series. Tell me if it works.

Fixed that for you. :tongue

Honestly, though, when I'm sick, I find reading much more beneficial to my writing than actually trying to write much. Inspiration is a wonderful thing, as is laying lying in bed with hot cocoa.

Get well soon.

Last edited:

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Look, the Braves already got put out with their anemic hitting, so I just get to watch. I prefer the Cardinals simply because my father played on their farm team, many decades ago.

Christy will cut off your cookies and milk for changing her Cardinals.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Look, the Braves already got put out with their anemic hitting, so I just get to watch. I prefer the Cardinals simply because my father played on their farm team, many decades ago.

Christy will cut off your cookies and milk for changing her Cardinals.

I'll be cutting off way more than cookies and milk! How dare you blaspheme!!!!!! :rant:<----That's me saying a few choice words!

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be cutting off way more than cookies and milk! How dare you blaspheme!!!!!! :rant:<----That's me saying a few choice words!

Well, maybe in a week we can be friends. :D

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Depends on how sick I am. A mild cold or headache or something, I can usually still get in the zone. If it were something where I had a high fever, I think it would be harder. Maybe if I were writing a scene where my character was really ill it would help me establish the mood, but it would probably be really hard to focus.

As for those people who can work on anything when they've got severe stomach, um, issues--I can only express admiration from a healthy distance. I had a friend who told me that when she was pregnant, that was her life for a while. Keeping the trash can close to her desk every day at work. I just can't imagine that (which may be one reason why I never had kids).

Last edited:

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I can usually manage to get something done if it's just a cold. As long as I don't have a headache. Can't get anything done then. If I can't write at all, or even read, or anything more mentally challenging than watch TV then I know it's flu.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
well, I'm sick RIGHT NOW and i want to write, but... siiiick...

*cough*

i have done some plot brainstorming tho, so my two days off work haven't been completely wasted. That and i've watched most of the films i recorded off the telly over the last 6 months :D

ETA: *cough*

ugh.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
well, I'm sick RIGHT NOW and i want to write, but... siiiick...

*cough*

i have done some plot brainstorming tho, so my two days off work haven't been completely wasted. That and i've watched most of the films i recorded off the telly over the last 6 months :D

ETA: *cough*

ugh.

aww, sorry to hear that, Kalli. Maybe I can help:

Grab a seat. Pull it up to the computer. Just to start out, until your creative juices are flowing, type what I am typing.....it will help get you into the swing of things, sort of like a small plane launching the glider....

"My name is Kalli, and I am sick. I'd really like it if everyone cried me a fucking river, as I sat home and wallowed in self-pity and general wussitude.

*coughwhinecough*

I'm such a poor, poor baby, and whiny me, I'd like to write, but I just caaaaaaan't......"

you're welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.