• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Day Owl Press

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this press? Dayowl.net. They contacted one of my clients directly (possible for his high profile) and asked him to put them in touch with me. Website is so so, and they only accept paper submissions. Claim to have excellent distribution. They only answer if interested and don't return submissions. Not listed on P & E.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Website registered June 2013. Covers look amateurish - Text on one looks suspiciously like a Comic Sans variant.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
From their website:

We love books that are new, funny, intelligent, prophetical, unconventional, controversial, avant-garde, cutting edge, innovative, radical, revolutionary
Repetitive? Redundant?

Day Owl Press will only accept material that is submitted by an established literary agent.
I can't see any reputable agent wanting their clients to be published by a company that produces the following blurbs:

Sylvia Lancaster’s husbands just keep disappearing one by one, but Silvia has an airtight alibi in every single instance.

Corinne Cabot has just inherited an ancestral estate on the Mississippi River that was built in 1749 from her great aunt that she never knew existed.

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
There doesn't appear to be anything useful about the people behind the press on the website, but I found this on Book Reader:

Hello! my name is Andre Pierre JR. and I am posting on behalf of Day Owl Press and my business partner/ long time friend Chey Barnes (www.cheybarnes.com/en/). Day Owl Press is an Independent Publisher of offbeat unusual new works.[...]

Chey Barnes is also author of a very informative BLOG that recaps all the “Latest Debacles”. It is also a MUST READ in these days and times! (www.microchipbook.com/en/blog/)
I'm not certain but he may (based on his Facebook profiles) have worked at a place called Inhouse Media / InHouse Creative Studio, which doesn't appear to be publishing related.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I just spit my coffee all over myself, queen of swords, after reading their blurbs. It never ceases to amaze me. Got 10 minutes and $10 and you too can set up your publishing website!

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I just spit my coffee all over myself, queen of swords, after reading their blurbs. It never ceases to amaze me. Got 10 minutes and $10 and you too can set up your publishing website!

Yeah, I especially like the one about "silly stories to entertain readers of all ages". Not many books out there which appeal to both five-year-olds and ninety-year-olds, that's for sure. Makes you wonder why publishers have all those age categories - MG, YA, NA, etc. - instead of just entertaining readers of all ages.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Blog hasn't been updated since July 26—and that was to announce a book (doesn't even identify the author!). Only other post is the welcome on June 21. The book at least has an Amazon page—but there's no image for the book, no price listed for the paperback which is "currently unavailable." All this doesn't bode well. . . .

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
But at least now if I'm ever on "Jeopardy!" I'll know the Mississippi River was built in 1749 from someone's great aunt (one hopes they used her best bits) :D.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Materialized in July and spent the summer spamming forums for their first book, due out in January. Check back in a year six months.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site and TW/FB long disused, last book pubbed '16. Anyone have recent contact?