The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Day Owl Press

smart enough to know better

Question Day Owl Press

Does anyone know anything about this press? Dayowl.net. They contacted one of my clients directly (possible for his high profile) and asked him to put them in touch with me. Website is so so, and they only accept paper submissions. Claim to have excellent distribution. They only answer if interested and don't return submissions. Not listed on P & E.

Just the facts, please
    Website registered June 2013. Covers look amateurish - Text on one looks suspiciously like a Comic Sans variant.

Back in the black, & staying there! Marian Perera's Avatar
    Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    From their website:

We love books that are new, funny, intelligent, prophetical, unconventional, controversial, avant-garde, cutting edge, innovative, radical, revolutionary
    Repetitive? Redundant?

Day Owl Press will only accept material that is submitted by an established literary agent.
    I can't see any reputable agent wanting their clients to be published by a company that produces the following blurbs:

Sylvia Lancaster’s husbands just keep disappearing one by one, but Silvia has an airtight alibi in every single instance.

Corinne Cabot has just inherited an ancestral estate on the Mississippi River that was built in 1749 from her great aunt that she never knew existed.

"The novel has a dark, eerie, fairy-tale feel." Washington Post's review of The Beast Prince

AmazonWebsite

There doesn't appear to be anything useful about the people behind the press on the website, but I found this on Book Reader:

Hello! my name is Andre Pierre JR. and I am posting on behalf of Day Owl Press and my business partner/ long time friend Chey Barnes (www.cheybarnes.com/en/). Day Owl Press is an Independent Publisher of offbeat unusual new works.[...]

Chey Barnes is also author of a very informative BLOG that recaps all the “Latest Debacles”. It is also a MUST READ in these days and times! (www.microchipbook.com/en/blog/)
    I'm not certain but he may (based on his Facebook profiles) have worked at a place called Inhouse Media / InHouse Creative Studio, which doesn't appear to be publishing related.
    Co-writer/creator of (On break while the artist works on other projects):

Writer & Artist of Brainfuzz (on hiatus): http://www.drunkduck.com/Brainfuzz/

Researching History's Mysteries HistorySleuth's Avatar
    I just spit my coffee all over myself, queen of swords, after reading their blurbs. It never ceases to amaze me. Got 10 minutes and $10 and you too can set up your publishing website!
    Blog Twitter @HistorySleuth1
    From the History Press

A History of Native American Land Rights in Upstate New York
    On Amazon.

Clicking the book covers in their sidebars leads me to a bunch of Page Not Founds.

I entered some random titles and authors into Amazon and got nothing.
    Last edited by Stacia Kane; 10-18-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Back in the black, & staying there! Marian Perera's Avatar
    Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorySleuth View Post
    I just spit my coffee all over myself, queen of swords, after reading their blurbs. It never ceases to amaze me. Got 10 minutes and $10 and you too can set up your publishing website!
    Yeah, I especially like the one about "silly stories to entertain readers of all ages". Not many books out there which appeal to both five-year-olds and ninety-year-olds, that's for sure. Makes you wonder why publishers have all those age categories - MG, YA, NA, etc. - instead of just entertaining readers of all ages.

"The novel has a dark, eerie, fairy-tale feel." Washington Post's review of The Beast Prince

AmazonWebsite

Blog hasn't been updated since July 26—and that was to announce a book (doesn't even identify the author!). Only other post is the welcome on June 21. The book at least has an Amazon page—but there's no image for the book, no price listed for the paperback which is "currently unavailable." All this doesn't bode well. . . .

Researching History's Mysteries HistorySleuth's Avatar
    Come and gone already.
    Blog Twitter @HistorySleuth1
    From the History Press

A History of Native American Land Rights in Upstate New York
    On Amazon.

But at least now if I'm ever on "Jeopardy!" I'll know the Mississippi River was built in 1749 from someone's great aunt (one hopes they used her best bits) .
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Materialized in July and spent the summer spamming forums for their first book, due out in January. Check back in a year six months.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: