self-publishing: pulling back the curtain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_I

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site, but joined up to gain some honest opinions about a project I've just started.

My general impression from chatting to a small pool of authors is that there is a pretty steep learning curve when it comes to publishing a book (a bit of a case of 'the more you know, the more you realise there is to know' ) not helped by the fact that as it stands the industry surrounding self-publishing seems
a) underdeveloped
and
b) where developed, pretty murky.

Received wisdom is still being forged, often by the very companies that authors are finding themselves needing to rely on for advice and assistance, and so the chances of being ripped-off are huge.

The idea is therefore to develop a comprehensive set of educational materials connected with a database of freelance publishing service providers (editors, cover designers, marketeers, publicists etc).

My work so far is available at http://www.scribis.com (happy to take this link down if it's against forum rules). Would love your thoughts on the idea in general, or the site specifically.

Thanks,

Tim

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I think there is already quite a lot of very good, very helpful information available for self-publishers. In this forum, for instance.

You're right that there's also a lot of misinformation, but I'm not sure how your new project is going to reduce that.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Who are you and what is your background? In other words, Why should a writer listen to you over the hundreds of other sources on self-pubbing out there?

ETA: To clarify, I'm not asking to be a jerk. I'm asking the same question I'd ask of any nonfiction author or website writer: What's your platform? What makes you an expert?

Last edited:

Tim_I

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sorry I didn't realise I had any replies!

Ok, so this is useful. Girlyswot, I think thats a good point and you are right - I don't think the site would somehow eradicate the misinformation on the net. And JournoWriter, I appreciate you're not being a jerk and it is a good question.

I guess the answers are, firstly, that I do have experience within the industry and so know it well, but, more importantly, would be looking to get information and posts from guests.

Secondly, my above post is perhaps misleading. The focus would be more on the provision of services in a transparent and easy way, rather than on the educational resources. They would be to ensure the people were informed on all the options so that they could decide what was correct for them, what is an appropriate price to pay for services, that kind of thing.

Hope that clarifies! Really appreciate your input.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Um, so it will basically be a place to sells stuff to self-publishers? And talk a bit about the stuff that is sold to self-publishers?

Because IMHO I only get information about appropriate paid service quality and pricing from sites not actually trying to sell that stuff to me.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Tim, I've taken a look at your new website and have found big problems in some of your blog posts. Your posts about copy editors and proofreaders are particularly problematical. You're not helping writers by writing these blog posts, you're misleading them.

I understand that you're keen and you want to help, but unless you get your facts right you're doing quite the opposite.

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
I wonder if you could elaborate on your background in the industry? Have you worked in publishing? In what capacity, with what publishers, and for how long? Have you done something else relevant, and if so, for how long and in what fashion?

Are you looking to create a set of educational materials that draw aspiring self-publishers to your site, and then get the freelance service providers to pay to be listed alongside said educational materials? How will you compose the said materials? This goes back to my first paragraph -- what qualifies you to compose, or even choose among, informational materials on self-publishing? How will you ensure that they are not full of errors, misconceptions, and harmful advice?

Is this a money-making venture for you? Will you be vetting those service providers in any way, or allowing authors to rate or review them? How will you ensure that the site does not become a hive of vanity presses and scammers?

What does your site offer that isn't already out there? What's your draw?

(It's possible this thread will find itself in Bewares, Recommendations & Background Checks.)

Deleted member 42

The material regarding book vs. ereader has little actual information. Moreover ereader refers to hardware; the book is the file in the digital context.

The entire site thus far is, quite honestly, not imbued with professional expertise; it is woefully ignorant and misleading.

Users would do better reading the Smashwords introductions regarding digital publishing, or, better still, something like Elizabeth Castro's book and blog.

Tim_I

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I did ask for feedback(!)

Ok, so I'll try and answer some concerns and queries.

I think it's important to note that the site itself would not be selling stuff to self-publishers. I see it more as a networking platform for writers to connect with service providers and vice versa. The information/educational side of it was conceived as a way of trying to prevent people being cajoled into getting services inappropriate for them or over priced etc.

The intention, therefore, is not to create a definitive library of reference resources, but to try and make sure that users of the site are as well equipped to make the best decisions possible. There seems to be some suggestion of a conflict of interest within a platform that provides both resources and services at the same time. I don't think this is the case. Ongoing use of it would depend on its being trustworthy, easy to use and transparent. If it can't meet that hurdle it will, quite rightly, fail. So there is a pretty strong incentive there. Smashwords is a good example of a site providing good and dependable advice whilst also relying on ongoing use from writers. There are certainly questions of how to curate such resources, but I don't think it is as difficult as people seem to be suggesting.

I am very, very aware that there will need to be vetting, author reviews and service provider ratings at the very least. This would be at the core of what the site is about. There are, of course, further questions of how you would stop this being abused should the site grow, but initially at least, I do not think this would be too difficult.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses and for taking the time to take a look at my nascent little project. I do appreciate it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Tim, I'm sure your intentions are good: but you do need to ensure that any information you put on your site is correct, and right now, there's a lot there which isn't. And that counts against you.

You also need to be sure that you're providing something unique, and I'm not sure that you are. There are many sites which offer information about trade and self publishing, many of which are more authoritative than yours. What can you offer which only you can offer? Why should writers use your site and not anyone else's?

Status
Not open for further replies.